I have tried everything (7 year anal fissure)

A list of everything I have tried, need advice

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

I have tried everything (7 year anal fissure)

Postby terrancewifflespoon » 21 Jul 2021, 08:34

Hi all,

As the title says, I have had this fissure for 7 years. I am a 30 year old male. It has absolutely changed my life for the worse as you all know. I wanted to list the remedies I've tried in an attempt to get some advice. I am seeing a doctor and a new surgeon about possible LIS.

1. Magnesium oxide 500mg in the morning. I took this 4 months ago for the first time and thought I finally found the cure to my problems. My BM's were finally normal and I was not tearing. This lasted about 3 months until it simply stopped working. I have no idea why it stopped. It makes me think I was heading down the right path though as I was able to stop all other supplements (listed below).
2. Colace stool softeners. At one point I was taking 15-20 of these a day (recommended dose is 1-3). I still take 3 a day and it does...nothing. This leads me to believe there is an issue with my digestion.
3. Fiber supplements. As many know there are mixed beliefs here on fiber. I generally try for actual food that contains fiber but, again, at one point I was taking 2-4 capsules with each meal.
4. Drinking a TON of water. Peeing every 30-45 min. Consuming a gatorade each day as well for electrolytes.
5. Metamucil twice a day, morning and night. This helps some but just not enough to actual stop the initial tear.
6. Nfedipine ointment Rx. This stops the burning/spasms (sometimes).
7. Shower after every BM. Probably the most useful and obvious step I'm taking to ensure cleanliness.
8. Dipping tobacco or nicotine pouches. I did this for about a year and it caused loose stools and my fissure was not an issue at all. A week after I stopped it was back worse than ever. I have actually recently started again hoping for some relief.
9. I generally have a healthy diet. Consuming broccoli or some natural source of fiber with each meal. Apples, pears, fruit. It just doesn't make sense that my diet can be good, and still tear, and yet over the past weekend vacation I took eating pizza and burgers I was fine for a few days.

First surgeon recommended botox to loosen. Only problem is, this gives the fissure months to heal, and as I mentioned in point 8. I gave the fissure about 10-12 months to heal when I was dipping. So would botox be any different?

LIS is my last resort I guess.

I think the biggest thing I want to mention is that at one point, for months, the magnesium actually worked. It made my stools soft enough to pass without tearing which leads me to believe there has to be another chemical solution. I am conflicted because I feel like there is a supplement that can lead me to having a normal BM again.

I bought another kind of magnesium (citrate) and it produced a BM at night which was abnormal, meaning perhaps I should try that instead of magnesium oxide.
terrancewifflespoon
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: I have tried everything (7 year anal fissure)

Postby Bottom Gun » 21 Jul 2021, 11:52

Terrance, here is what is FINALLY helping me:
I have suffered from an anal fissure for 13 years.

Have done sitz baths, used Boudreaux Butt Paste (a great help), and taken Muralax for several years (helps a lot).

NOW I BELIEVE I AM CURING THE FISSURE ITSELF!

This is what I do:

1. Clean area as best you can.
2. Apply a thimbleful of Vaseline. Try to get some inside.
3. Protect your underwear with a pad or paper napkin.
4. Repeat about 12 times daily.
5. Continue for 4 weeks.

I am in my 19th day of doing this and truly believe the fissure is healed. No more pain, no more blood. No more swelling. Note – I am continuing to take 1 tablespoon Muralax daily. I don’t need a difficult stool to ruin the progress I’ve made.

Progress to date:

days 1-5. No noticeable changes
days 6-8, notable improvements, blood spotting is diminishing
day 9 blood spotting has stopped, no more pain
days 10- today, I am convinced that the fissure has healed

This is an adaptation of the technique my surgeon prescribed to heal the 3” scar following a recent surgery to remove a small skin cancer on my neck. I thought – if it will work there, why not adapt this on other parts of the body. I think that a fissure is like a surgical scar, only smaller (thou it feels as big as the Grand Canyon). Dermatologists recommend the use of Vaseline because it keeps the skin moist during the healing process, which promotes healing.

This is definitely working for me. Vaseline and paper napkins are cheap.

I would try to avoid surgery or Botox treatment. I had hemorrhoid surgery many years ago, that recovery was difficult. Do your research before choosing surgery as surgery involves risk. My fissure occurred in 2008 during my recovery from an operation involving general anesthesia. During my recovery I became severely constipated. When I finally had a BM after 3 days my fissure occurred.

After my 4 weeks are over, I intend to continue with the daily Muralax indefinitely, I NEVER want another fissure in my life.

Let this forum know if you try this and what results you achieve. Good luck!
Bottom Gun
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby missy moo » 17 Aug 2021, 17:26

Hey 32 year old female hwre also had my fissure for 7 years. Please update us if you get lis. I'm about to try the Vaseline idea but i get hard tips meaning the start of my bms are hard or pebble like. I take vit c and magnesium citrate every night. I stopped using miralax like 4 wks ago because i want to heal naturally an not have to take something artificial forever. Good luck an keep in contact its 1 hell of a journey
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby terrancewifflespoon » 17 Aug 2021, 20:01

Hi Missy Moo. Sounds like we have had a very similar journey lol. I have been drinking prune juice and taking half a dose of miralax the past two weeks and it has kept the pain at 5 or less. Heating pad to sit on during the day with nifedipine.

The hard tip is exactly what I have too. I’ll update you but I see a surgeon September 7th to discuss LIS.
terrancewifflespoon
Fibre Addict

Postby missy moo » 18 Aug 2021, 00:51

Yes those hard tips are so annoying how can you heal when the hard tip just tears the fissure again i actually feel mine retear almost daily so my body is trying to heal. Is the magnesium and miralax keeping the tips soft? Im just taking magnesium an vit c to softener bms but tips obviously aren't fixed by it
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby missy moo » 18 Aug 2021, 01:08

Like your first post i just took some magnesium a few hours ago and it made me have and evening bm which never happens for me its normally just 1 morning bm each day with a hard tip so i wonder if 1 I'll even do a morning bm tomorrow morning and 2 will the tip be soft since any left over bm has now been removed so there's nothing in there to go dry an hard over night if you know what i mean.
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby terrancewifflespoon » 18 Aug 2021, 08:35

Yes hoping for the best for you. Magnesium can be a lifesaver. Unfortunately it just didn’t last for me.
terrancewifflespoon
Fibre Addict

Postby Fissurefrustration » 18 Aug 2021, 09:41

Hey,

I'm a 31 year old male and we all sound very similar. I've had my fissure since I was 20 I think so 11 years or so. It has made my life hell and I've used so many lotions and potions I have no idea if I ended up causing more harm than good.
Manuka Honey - worked really well, didn't cure me but soothed the pain after a shower every day
vitamin E oil - minor success helped before a BM acted as lube
cocoa butter - very soothing but led to a skin infection as the area was too wet
botox x 3 - up and down with this, made me rush to the loo and had temporary relief but still non cure
nifedipine - helps when I tear to cure it just takes a while
GTN - MIGRAINES. owch.
aloe vera gel - very much like the cocoa butter

I now have tried this oil which I think is meant for the face, I put it around my sphincter and just inside, it has jojoba and vitamin E in it known to promote healing and soften scar tissue and I dilate with a small dilator every day and for the last 2 weeks I've had no pain at all, which is a miracle for me.

https://www.facetheory.com/collections/ ... etinol-oil

that's the oil I use morning and night and I use a small dilator for 20 minutes a day.

have a look through my diary in the diary section and you can see everything in detail on what's happened to me over the years. My butt trouble is now just a part of my life and I'm so glad to finally be pain free... it might not be forever but I'm going to keep this up for as long as I can. oh and also, drink 2 Litres of water a day, it's honestly essential as a base to heal. Please keep in mind LIS comes with risks like incontinence, try and consider my suggestions or botox first before jumping to that.

keep in touch

FF
Suffering since June 2013

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Manuka Honey / Coconut oil / Aloe
tag excision X 2, botox x 3
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Topics: 56

Postby terrancewifflespoon » 18 Aug 2021, 11:43

Hi Fissure Frustration. What kind of dialator do you use?
terrancewifflespoon
Fibre Addict

Postby Fissurefrustration » 18 Aug 2021, 12:22

I think they were called doc Johnson it was a set of 5 I think progressing in size
Suffering since June 2013

Methods tried:
GTN cream - migraines!
Manuka Honey / Coconut oil / Aloe
tag excision X 2, botox x 3
Dilatiazem
dilatation 2 X daily + Retin-C Vitamin Scar Treatment Oil 2 X daily - best thing ever.
Now pain free 2/7/21
Fissurefrustration

Topics: 56