Considering (lis) lets chat

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Considering (lis) lets chat

Postby missy moo » 25 Sep 2021, 15:19

Anyone considering lis? Lets chat. I've had my fissure for 8 years heals for 2wks and then comes back.
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Re: Considering (lis) lets chat

Postby Suffering2long » 09 Oct 2021, 04:38

Hi Missy, sorry to see you’re still having issues. Unfortunately I’m still in the same boat too. After my flap surgery I was getting better but last week I had a soreness and tightness come back (and a tiny amount of blood) I now think it is definitely a tight muscle that’s causing this. So back to the dr for me. Surely Lis is the next step?
Suffering2long
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby Conifer » 09 Oct 2021, 06:44

I’m sorry to see you are both suffering. I’ve yet to have any procedure bar the usual creams which worked then stopped working. When I look back ive been dealing with this for years on amd off but never realised what it was.

I’m now booked for lis. What a journey this has been the last few weeks and months of fissure. Booked for Botox, then postponed, now have the past few days where pain has paralysed me (literally spasms so bad I got ‘stuck’ on the sofa and couldn’t move as the pain radiated through me - husband wanted to take me to hospital). I had an emergency app with my CRS last night. He said he’d do Botox but then said the 70-80% success you see in papers is likely vastly over estimated and it’s more like 50%. He went over the risks with lis especially a female of my age but when we discussed the timeframe I’m in with having a baby (very low egg count and don’t have the luxury of time trying 1-2 Botox rounds) he agreed lis was a sensible approach to kill the fissure(s?) once and for all. If/when I’m lucky with pregnancy I will have a c-section to avoid anal trauma and he said they’d do that for me without any issues given this fissure history. So 14th November I’m on for it. Nervous as hell about recovery but I have no quality of life, can’t make plans, wake up nervous every morning with anticipation of what pain level my day brings, can’t focus at work, have cut off contact with most family and friends as I’m too sore/upset most of the time that life feels like too much effort. Ive had 2 miscarriages this year that were easier to deal with than this. The death of my father was easier to deal with than this. Writing that done really is upsetting but it’s the reality.
Conifer
Salt Bather

Postby Suffering2long » 09 Oct 2021, 07:30

Oh hun that’s a terrible year! We are right there with you. Ive had Botox 5 times…Yes that’s correct, 5!! It never worked well.
The flap was done in March, so I’ve been trying to recover all year. My life is on hold too. I can’t make plans and it drains the happiness out of me. My family suffer because I can’t be my best for them.
I wish the best for your recovery and please come back to tell us how it went.
Suffering2long
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Conifer » 09 Oct 2021, 08:07

Suffering2long I really feel for you especially agree what you say about life being on hold and the pressure it puts on family. I’m sorry that you are having a difficult time. 5 rounds of Botox?? That’s so many, I think I’d have given up after one. Will you dr perform lis on you? Mine never talked about advancement flaps which I was pleased about as not sure I could handle the recovery from wht ive read here. And I plan to make a diary about my lis so will keep updated on it. I know there are lots of things here already but writing on this forum is so cathartic!
Conifer
Salt Bather

Postby missy moo » 09 Oct 2021, 14:23

Hey ladies so good to get a little chat going especially with woman since our lis risks is different then mens risks. (men still welcome to chat as fissures effect us both)

I've also had botox i had it twice and I'm still here. I think all 3 of us may end up with lis and if we do we should make sure to comment back on here at like 1 year post lis with our outcome so other woman will see 3 outcomes of other woman. Again also men but i see more woman on here who are more afraid of lis due to increased risk. I think its not a big difference anyway like say men have a 5% risk of incontinence and woman have a 10% risk I'm completely guessing but to me 10% is still tiny compared to the rest of our lives on this s##t roller-coaster. Conifer maybe you can ask your surgeon what the risk difference is. Also advancement flap has never been mentioned to me here in NZ and I've seen about 4 crs over the years. My next step is to pay for a private crs to give me advance. I've only seen free crs on the health care system so far.
Last edited by missy moo on 10 Oct 2021, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Suffering2long » 09 Oct 2021, 20:38

Yes I agree, we need to update the forum as women.
I’m not sure why I’m considered a high risk case as my anal tone was tested and found super hypertonic. It makes me wonder why advancement flap would ever work when the underlying muscle is in spasm?
Today has been better so far for me, but we know that fissures like to hide from time to time.
Chat when you need to, I’m always around x
Suffering2long
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby missy moo » 10 Oct 2021, 03:42

Suffering2long i don't understand why your surgeon didn't book you in for lis straight away after finding out you have a high tone that makes no sence. We're in lockdown here in NZ so i can't see anyone till god knows when. But things are ok right now for me too so hopefully we'll both get a long break fingers crossed
Last edited by missy moo on 10 Oct 2021, 05:32, edited 1 time in total.
missy moo
King Fissure

Postby Conifer » 10 Oct 2021, 04:43

Also agree is good to get a chat going. I look back through the years of this forum and see groups of people forming at certain point ms to then move on as they heal and the next generation comes in. It’s nice to see. But Missy you are often in these chats and makes me realise how long you’ve been dealing with this!

I won’t see my CRS again until op but he told me that incontinence ranges in 10-15% which shocked me. I think he was giving me the worst rates so I could risk assess. He did say though that it is when people have underlying conditions like crohns etc. And he also said it tends to be minor seepage and gas.

It bothers me a bit I’m not getting a pressure test first esp when I had a Good day yesterday (but only because I didn’t eat on Friday so no bm). But just back to bed now after my morning bm and I’m spamming and burning like crazy lying here in tears so I’ll take the risk!
Conifer
Salt Bather

Postby Conifer » 10 Oct 2021, 04:44

Spasming - not spamming!!
Conifer
Salt Bather