What is working for me

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: What is working for me

Postby Guest » 25 Jun 2007, 06:27

dano wrote:im currently on the 2% nitro cream..its powerful stuff,if you have headaches on a lower dosage,2% will really send you in a tizzy! noticable difference in the spasms as well compared to the 1%...the 2% has been helping,im on it for 3 months.....i dont know what is after that though,seems its a long road to recovery using creams.fortunetly,my spasms arent too terrible,i know they are there,and i can feel it,but its not like i have to stop and sit down,or take a bath,though i did have a slight relapse the other day,and spasms are worse than theve been in months,but seems to improve quickly,usually a few hours in the morning then thats it till a bm in the evening,then again its short lived

I am surpised that you were able to get the 2% cream prescribed for this use. Typically, it is prescribed for cardiac issues only as it can result in significant blood pressure changes. I only tried this dosage at night when I knew I would not be getting up for a while. I suggest you be careful using it on a day-to-day basis. Usually a .2% cream is prescribed and needs to be formulated by pharmacies in the US since this is not supplied directly by drug companies in this country.

Postby Guest » 25 Jun 2007, 06:35

They gave it to me to the nitro-it about killed me..the headaches ouch!

Postby Guest » 25 Jun 2007, 07:24

docray1,
Thank you for your reply. Your thread has been very helpful. Marie

Postby Guest » 25 Jun 2007, 09:13

Noelle wrote:They gave it to me to the nitro-it about killed me..the headaches ouch!

I am quite surprised that any reputable physician - or pharmacy - would prescribe 2% Nitro for this application. The cream is a potent vasodilator that can cause significant hypotension (Blood pressure drop) when you stand. It is readily absorbed through the skin and you need to be careful to use a glove when applying even the lower .2% dose to the anal area. Significant headaches can also result. If this was given in error, I would either return it to the pharmacy or ask them to dilute it with Eucerin or some other emollient cream.

Postby Guest » 12 Jul 2007, 13:27

Setback! After going 20 days with practically no pain and no bleeding, I had 2 consecutive days of hard bowel movements last weekend. On the second day, I noted a trace amount of blood after the BM. I have had dull aching and itching most of this week and saw a bit more blood today. I have managed to avoid the spasms that I had before, though.
Hopefully, this will be a minor setback, but it does serve to prove that once you have a chronic fissure they can take a LONG time to heal completely and you are prone to redevelopment of the fissures with difficult BM's.
I am going to try to continue my conservative approach of fish oil diet supplements, solarcaine spray before my BM's, and cocoa butter and Gold Bond powder to aid healing. If things dont improve - or get worse - it may be back to the nifedipine for another try.

Postby Guest » 12 Jul 2007, 13:38

Sorry to hear about the setback. It does seem to happen many times before we get over that hump.
I can relate to the frustration though.
Fingers crossed that it gets better quickly.

Postby mypoopyhurtsme » 12 Jul 2007, 14:18

that sucks. sorry to hear that as well.
can you pinpoint any reason for the setback? for instance, did you start eating differently or change your healing regimen?
hope you now beat your 20-day record...
mypoopyhurtsme
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 21

Postby happyass » 12 Jul 2007, 16:23

the good news is if you can do 20 days, then you will be able to do a bit longer.....and then longer...and then longer......
till you can't even remember when your last setback was!
hang in there!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby buttgirl » 12 Jul 2007, 16:29

Those are frustrating. Argh!! setbacks! If you can pinpoint the reason though, that's hopefuly. You will know what too avoid doing next time.

My last one taught me not to go into the desert without gatorade. 1qt. of water just didn't do the trick.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby dano » 12 Jul 2007, 21:29

i started on a 0.5%.. iwas on that for like 2 months.the bottle says nitroglycerin in petroleum....after he gave me the buisness on the next visit he said i improved some,and asked if i had headaches,i said very rarely,he then prescribed 2% in petroleum and said if i had terrible headaches to call and he would do something else.ive been using it for like a month now with some headaches.it says right on the bottle can cause dizziness,and ...do not freeze?i dont really no if its helping,some days it does,some days it could do a little more...it does make you feel kinda weird sometimes,is this stuff potentially dangerous??
...i know about set backs,very dissapointing..makes me feel like all is lost sometimes...
dano
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13