LIS Recovery?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS Recovery?

Postby Guest » 13 Apr 2009, 10:06

That totally sucks. But you had both a LIS and fissurectomy which prolongs the amount of time you need to heal. Anal surgery is very painful due to the amount of nerve endings down there. I am curious as the why he did a fissurectomy if your fissures didn't look that bad. Usually an LIS is sufficient.
How much motrin are you taking? You may need to take 800-1200 mg at a time to get much of an effect. Can you call your doctor and tell him about the pain. Maybe they can call in a prescription as long as you are keeping things soft and don't get constipated.
Post surgery can be so tough because the pain can be worse than what we were dealing with initially so it can be easy to wonder what the heck we've gotten ourselves into but it will get better. Take the sitz baths 3 times a day. That really helps with the pain as well.
Healing takes so long in the anal area precisely how you have described it. You can't stabilize the area because you have to use it to poop so it is very much a one step forward, two steps back.

Postby juney » 13 Apr 2009, 10:19

i had fissurectomy last september. the recovery was HELL so what you're experiencing doesn't sound atypical. i didn't leave my house for almost 3 months (this was my 3rd anal surgery and i was also extremely depressed afterward). i just laid on my stomach everyday for a long time. if you weren't having pain all day everyday before i'm surprised they did a fissurectomy, that seems really extreme. for me, fissurectomy was the last resort after 2 failed LIS. so of course you're not used to the incessant pain! try not to worry too much yet. it is the most painful thing you'll probably ever go thru but it should get better over the coming weeks.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby pinky » 13 Apr 2009, 16:53

Hi Michelle,
I had LIS with skin tag removal almost 7 months back.
Even im wondering why you had a fissurectomy if your fissures wernt bad.recovery is different for everyone.my recovery was painful for the first 2 weeks due to infection and diarrohea(due to antibiotics)since youve had 2 procedures done,it will take more time to heal.dont despair,you will get there.when i was desperate and given up all hopes during recovery,i was adviced by val and tootie to compare weeks rather than days.i saw an improvement each week.
There will be ups and downs during recovery.are your Bms painful now?dont worry about blood,unless its too much.you will see some blood as your fissure is still there and also the incision.
How are you coping with your baby?
Good luck with healing
pinky
Fissureologist

Topics: 6

Postby juney » 13 Apr 2009, 18:28

also i just want to mention, if you're dealing well with the pain using just motrin, that's a plus! most people use narcotic painkillers after surgery like that.
only one week out and just using OTC painkillers is great. i still take aleve every day and sometimes that's not enough, but i know my story's far from normal. don't worry too much yet.
juney
King Fissure

Postby Michelle » 13 Apr 2009, 19:18

Thanks so much for the encouraging words. I really needed them today. The doctor did prescribe me 800 mg ibuprofen and Lortab as well. I haven't touched the Lortab for fear of constipation. I'm kicking myself now for not asking more questions about the fissurectomy. He made it sound like such a routine thing. I actually have a check-up with him tomorrow morning so I will be asking a lot of questions then. The pain would be a lot easier to take if I knew for sure that I would be healed from this but that's not the case so all the more I rely on God. Dealing with my daughter has been pretty good. I had help everyday until today and it went alright today. I felt bad for her because I don't move around well and hardly pick her up but she's a pretty good trooper.
Kind of crazy - My nurse anesthesiologist had LIS done a couple of months ago and she was completely healed from it. She was telling me a little bit about her recovery and then she said "Honey, you will never again toot like a little girl. You will angel gas like a man." :)
Michelle
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Corsi » 14 Apr 2009, 01:22

I bled a lot from my fissures after LIS, more than before surgery, and everyone said it was normal! As the others say recovery after fissurectomy is bad, so dont expect to be painfree.
Rest as much as possible and DONT lift or strain at all. I did that and the amount of blood afterwards was scaring!!!
Take care!
Corsi
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Guest » 14 Apr 2009, 04:15

Good for you Michelle !
Please please do not be frustrated your procedure was a little than a week ago ! Image
I am glad you have a check up with your Dr today, do ask him all your questions !
Recovery is slow but sure, you will see !
Just try and work with it Michelle, Lots and lots of resting time , no lifting, don’t let yourself get stressed but really look after your body at this crucial time – HEALING TIME ! Image
Have faith in your healing sweetie Image

Postby Michelle » 14 Apr 2009, 14:26

I went to the doctor this morning and asked a LOT of questions. He asked how I was feeling and was shocked that I was still having pain with BM's. He took a look and said that I have a case of bad luck because all of my stitches have dissolved but that I ripped right back open. He said that because he shaved part of the muscle that the fissure should heal but to continue to use the nitro cream as well. Is this normal to have pain with BMs after LIS? I was hoping that I would just feel some bruising but he said that I really didn't have any of that. I know you have all said look at it a week, not days, at a time and that this is one step forward two steps back so I'm trying to keep a positive attitude. He kept telling me that it would heal. I just have a hard time not being skeptical.
Michelle
Fibre Addict

Postby juney » 14 Apr 2009, 14:58

YES it's totally normal to have pain with BMs after anal surgery. remember, you had fissurectomy not just LIS so you have a wide open wound there now, not just the little incision they make for LIS. with fissurectomy, they basically cut out the fissure and stitch the area back up. since your stitches have already dissolved you really have a raw open wound down there so it will definitely hurt. expect pain for at least a few more weeks but as it heals it will get better. it is really hard to not be skeptical of the drs though. luckily you have no reason to believe you won't heal at this point! keep your attitude up and manage your pain with medicine if necessary. take lots of hot baths, those are so soothing after surgery!! you'll be okay. Image
juney
King Fissure

Postby Michelle » 14 Apr 2009, 15:46

Can I just say that I love you guys?! You all respond so fast and that is such an encouragement in and of itself. Thanks Juney. I just keep thinking about him just stitching the fissure up and not everything else that went into it. You all are awesome!
Michelle
Fibre Addict