Fistula

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Fistula

Postby Guest » 01 May 2007, 06:04

Thanks JDD,
I am so glad you jumped in here! I am such a novice about this area so I am glad you can offer some expertise and guidance on this! (although I am sorry you have had to suffer with it first hand)
Hope you are still doing okay!
L.

Postby happyass » 17 May 2007, 21:05

lecia was right on the dot with a fistula basically being an abcess.
it can be an anal fistula or a throat, esophagus, gastro, vaginal, bladder, etc. a fistula can happen anywhere.
with the anal fistula, it is common for people with fissures to get a fistula after an LIS and of course, during the fissure anguish stage.
sometimes the fistula will happen at either end of the fissure, where dirty stuff gets inside the fissure opening and then gets trapped despite keeping the area clean. then the dirty stuff grows bacteria and more dirty stuff that it has nowhere to go so it makes a tunnel pushing the ugly stuff to an exit, which is another opening.
sometimes there isn't an exit but the fistula gets bigger and bigger.
there are some scary fistulas out there......
i think you may have a finicky thrombosed vein, which could possibly look like a fistula. a fistula to me would leak out puss like stuff. but a thrombosed vein, once it is popped, would be bloody.
fwiw, i was diagnosed with a fistula - but i have doubts about that - but with macrobiotics i got rid of it. they say that only about 3% of all fistulas can heal but that the rest need surgery to correct this.
that was another reason i wanted to do the colonoscopy, was to rule out any fistula for sure and well the other stuff too.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby dano » 12 Jul 2007, 21:42

im chiming in on this as i think i have one....like a little over a month ago i had another visit to the gastro dr. he gave me the "buisness" pretty good,and i noticed as he was done fishing around in there,i was left with like a stinging/raw sensation that i never had any other visit.then in like a week i get this puffy little lump that oozed a lovely clearish fluid when squeezed.its like 3/4 inch away from the fissure area,it doesnt really hurt though and it never has.ive had it for like 3 weeks.i think the dr. caused this by rough housing my rear...maybe im wrong,but the more i go to him the more stuff i have wrong!
dano
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Guest » 13 Jul 2007, 10:43

I went to the doctor CRS because I was having really bad pain and I had a small hole that was oozing a yellow fluid. He told me I had a fistula, fissure and internal hemorrhoids. I did not know what any of these things were. I had a complete fistulectomy, and rubber band ligation for the hemorrhoids. It has been 5 weeks since my surgery and am so glad I had the surgery. I still have a discharge which scares me cause it looks like the same fluid I had before. I was wondering if anyone is as scared as me about getting a new abscess? Every time I feel a little twinge or a little pain I get so scared. The surgery wasn't THAT bad, the first couple of days was. My incision was about an inch long, but has since healed, I do have 2 small skin tabs where the incision was.

Postby buttgirl » 13 Jul 2007, 12:02

Are you still taking stiz baths? That helped wonders for me.

Yes!!! I am scared of getting another abscess as I am still not healed from my drainage surgery in Feb.--you are lucky to have healed in 5 wks... The surgery was OK, but I have been in pain since then, though the worst of it was over about 4 wks after the surgery. That is when the external portions were healed. It is the internal, 1+ inch deep portions that are longer in healing for me.

I continued to have discharge of puss (I originally wrote pussy discharge but was taken aback by the homonym:lol: ) for about 4 wks. Then I started irrigating the area and the oozing decreased. Then I put a dab of iodine ointment in the area. It stung like the dickens, but I had no more oozing after that. If you try the iodine, brace yourself for about 5 mins. I definitely don't recommend it beacuse of the pain. However, it mention it because it did work for me.

Right now, I think I have an external hemmie--never had one before so I am not sure--it burns and pricks during bm and burns for a little while after. What makes me afraid though is that it is also sore. It feels a little bruised, kind of like the abscess did. I think it is a hemmie; I am just not sure. I had a botox injection, which I irritated the hemmie I had just gotten a couple of days before. I'm hoping that's what it is. Did your hemmie feel sore and bruised?

I don't have any oozing now, but again, I am scared that maybe the injection didn't just irritate the roid. Maybe it caused an abscess. PANIC!!!GULP!!! BREATHE!!! CALming Down.... I will ask my CRS to do a very thorough investigate at my next appt in a week.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby buttgirl » 13 Jul 2007, 12:40

Oh! and something I read online. I'm not sure if it works or not, but an herbal remedy for fistulas is supposed to be taking arnica montana and silica (horse tail).

Dano, you might consider asking for a fistula plug. It is an antibacterial sponge that dissolves in your body. It is inserted in the fistula and then both sides of the fistula are sutured shut. That sounds so much better to me than a seton or a fistulotomy. And the success rate is supposed to be about 80% or so. If you google fistula plug there is a video that shows how it is inserted, etc...
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Guest » 13 Jul 2007, 13:36

Thanks for the info, I may have an outside hemorhoid, he also took off some skin tags, I will be so glad when this is behind me, I would rather be talking about some other subject :)

Postby dano » 14 Jul 2007, 21:47

i really dont know what the heck i have! mine seems to be under the skin roughly 3/4 of an inch from my fissure and is about the size and shape of a q-tip head..it doesnt hurt and only seeps a little clearish stuff when squeezed it seems to go to my rear somewhere....im gonna try and go to the regular dr next week as he examins stuff very thourghly..unlike my gastr dr....maybe he can offer some assistance 1st...
dano
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13