IBS and LIS healing

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: IBS and LIS healing

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 23 May 2010, 01:59

Ugh, just noticed some mild yellowish discharge of some sort too... And after you mentioned skin tags, I had a look at mine and they look kind of pink and irritated. Maybe that explains where the irritated feeling is coming from :(
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Fissulyna » 23 May 2010, 02:07

Yeah - I had all kind of feelings after each surgery. Less after first one since it was less extensive , but still, I can honestly say that after first LIS and fissurectmy I needed about four mos to really say I do not feel "anything" down there ever and after second LIS and other things done I needed 4-5 mos to not ever feel anything no matter what I ate, or did , or what consistency poop was.
So, yeah - I do not think "miraculous" healings happen so often over the night, neither they sound realistic. What is gone is terrible sharp "glass passing" pains and horrible painful spasms - but fissure needs time to close and as long as it is there - one will feel "something" . That "something" most people completely dismiss in description of the recovery since it is really minor in comparison to initial status. Since you went for a LIS in the time of "the calm" - this increased pain is now driving you crazy : ( ! Do not worry - it will get better and better until it is gone.
I did not get any explanation about exercise yet, so I do not know it that would be included in my program. I use now herbal suppositories and my own cream "receipt" and will have to be patient till I get my trusty Nitro or Nefid. Image In the meantime I plan to start exercising and walking a lot more out - although a weather is just awful - as you can see LMAO.
My regular diet is fissure friendly anyway - so thanks God I do not have to make any adjustments there :) ! At least - nothing of a drastic kind ! Would just avoid spices , basically and "small seeds" LMAO
I never had hemmies (except when CRS gave me one poking me with a needle wrong way : (. I never had any colorectal problems in my life or digestive for that matter. I never was constipated in my life - not for a day Image I go 2-3 times to the bathroom my whole life Image
Nope - I think that I might have some superficial tiny cut that was enough to set the hell off Image and the area is probably somewhat inflamed and makes that stupid feeling PLUS small spasm is definitely there - tiny but enough to make it burn Image Actually Lars's CRS last time told him that some people feel spasms as burning :roll: and not dull pain. It could be that since my sphincter was cut 2 times it can not get into full blown spasm so produces this kind of sensation. I am also due to get my period and any time that happens , my whole pelvic floor is "constricted" Image - it was always like that. When I got my first fissure I healed 3 times in 5 mos and re-teared every time just 2 days before my period Image - hormonal changes have a BIG impact there for me *sigh
I am telling you - can not wait to be 55 !!!!!!! (Oh joy - 10 more years Image Image Image ) *irony here : (((
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 24 May 2010, 23:50

So how's it going today Fissy. Any improvement/change on your side of things? One day closer to 55 :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 25 May 2010, 00:37

Yeap - one day closer Image
I am not going to say anything since I do not want to jinx anything LMAO - that is how it goes here on this forum ; )))!
Olive oil is now my newest hero Image Image Image
How is "bumpy" doing :D ???
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 25 May 2010, 01:50

Holy cow don't tell me you're using olive oil "topically" and it's helping??? Or are you just adding a bunch to your diet? Either way that's great news if it's helping. I wonder what the mechanism of its action is to be able to put down butt discomfort, assuming you're using it topically. Maybe it has anti-inflammatory properties or is acting as a lubricant of some sort?
Mr. Bumpy seems to be about the same as he (I don't feel right calling him "it" anymore :)) was before. I look at him every day and he looks about the same, looks minorly irritated (actually the general anal area does) but doesn't appear to be growing much bigger, at least...
My pain is becoming less generalized and more focused. Dunno if that's good or bad. Now it's primarily a sharp stabbing pain in the side where I had LIS and the abscess. Feels just inside the rectum. It just happens when it wants to, no real rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes I can go hours without feeling it, and other times it repeatedly occurs for hours on end. It feels almost like a spasm, like there's a "shooting" nature to it, so I'm guessing it's likely a muscle doing something, maybe moving around near the LIS cut?. I can't really figure out what it is but it's definitely painful and not very nice feeling, so if it keeps up I'm just going to cover it up with some Vicodin and hope it goes away on its own with time I guess -- hey, when nothing works, just cover up the symptom with some drugs and hope it magically goes away, I think that's going to be my new motto lol.
Well, hope the olive oil therapy keeps up for ya :) If it works maybe I'll have to swing by Safeway and pick up a bottle to try too or something haha.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby dee » 25 May 2010, 02:45

hey np--i'm two weeks post op and mostly good (valium and ibuprofen are about it--and the colace)...but on occasion i'll have some sharp pain out of nowhere--i can be sitting, standing, laying down...confusing but usually really quick and then it's gone--i don't do anything for the pain--if it lasts longer than 10 minutes it's usually dull and achy...
my discharge has decreased slowly since the operation (at first i was afraid i was one of the unlucky incontinent folk) but i hope it will be totally gone within a week or two...
hope you get to feeling better--i know so far, except for the day of surgery, the post-op pain h as been more bearable than the fissure pain--i just hope it does the trick long term and i don't need a second op like fissy!
dee
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 25 May 2010, 10:59

Hey Dee, good to hear that things are going well. I still have some discharge too (3 weeks post LIS and 1.5 weeks post abscess drainage) so I think that's normal. It's just one of those little things doctors aren't so good at telling you to expect, I guess :roll: I suppose the mystery pains like Fissy said are along the same lines. I was real relieved when she said that everybody's felt those lol. It's always good to have others to compare experiences to, otherwise I think I'd be losing my mind :)
I'm still doing work from home this week so I've been avoiding sitting still. Just lying on the couch all day with my laptop. I think sitting is getting better but to do it for extended periods I'd probably need some painkillers. I think you're definitely kicking my ass on the recovery curve if you're already back at work and doing normal things!
I hope this does the trick long term too. So far I've been passing some big poops without problems, so if I can get over the lingering pain I'm going to be pretty pleased. Here's to continued healing for everybody!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 25 May 2010, 14:35

This is just a tiny bit about Olive oil LOL !
I completely forgot about that "remedy" that is used all over Mediterranean for thousands of years for all kind of ailments!!! It is proven helping many in treating many skin, intestinal and cardio-vascular problems : )))!
One can find a ton of info about the Olive oli benefits - this one is just tiny article that only "scratches" the surface. After I posted that article about "making a smaller poop" thread , I remembered olive oil (since it was mentioned there as a stool softener!!!!) and just decided to put some on my butt since I knew it was full of anti-oxidants and Vit. E and all that jazz. LOL I think , that in my case, it just makes a protective film that also has a healing property due to Vit and anti-oxidants ! You know - I found an article in which it was proven that application of Olive oil to pre-malignant skin cells in mice reversed the process !!!! I have to find it !!!! I also so consume olive oil internally- that is the oil I use 90 % in my cooking , the rest is Canola oil. In the mean time :
" Olive oil has been prized and valued for thousands of years. This has been not only for it's use as a food oil but due to it's medicinal qualities as well. Did you know that bacterium cannot exist in olive oil? Olive
oil almost never causes allergic reactions thus to it's use in cooking and in medicines you can add it's helpfulness to alternative treatments that involve massage or pressure put on various parts of the body. Athletes have used olive oil in training rooms for thousands of years. Wrestlers used olive oil as a lubricant to help ward off quick attacks from opponents in the early classic Olympic games.
Olive oil has been used in treatment of ear conditions, such as excess wax build up. It also is known to assist in relieving constipation. In modern times we now know that mixing olive oil with vegetables allows our body to absorb double and triple multiples of vitamins and minerals. Olive oil is a major ingredient in the elixir developed in the movie Lorenzo's oil which showed that long chain fats help breakdown and allow digestion of key nutritional elements needed by our bodies. It is also suspected that long term use of olive oil instead of saturated fats is the contributing factor to lower rates of heart disease in Mediterranean countries.
Anyone with an Italian grandmother has been given Mussolini's cure for constipation. Two teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil in the morning before breakfast. This followed by a very warm glass of water that has had half a lemon squeezed into it.
By saving the medicinal properties of other plants and herbs which are kept in olive oil it indirectly aids in many other medicinal ways.
Olive oil can be mixed with flowers and some mashed fruits to use as a salve for chapped or cracked skin. Women have used it in many cosmetic and personal hygiene ways since time was first recorded.
Olive oil is used to help with gall bladder and liver ailments but how this works is still understudy and not yet verified. This also applies to use when mixed with equal amounts of oil from Geranium plants for reducing menstrual pain and PMS."
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 27 May 2010, 11:36

Olive oil still working Fissy? :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Fissulyna » 27 May 2010, 12:51

Oh - I am not jinxing anything here Image Lets just say I LOVE olive oil ...which I do ...yummy LOL, but now I have a special very "intimate love" for it Image
Aphrodite was a goddess that blessed that oil lmao - so I have to make a small Parthenon in my garden now Image
No wonder she was "all that " ha ha ha , if she was immersing herself in that oil on a daily bases probably Image
Fissulyna
VIP