replacement for sitz bath on the go?

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

replacement for sitz bath on the go?

Postby dee » 11 Mar 2010, 13:48

hi,
i've recently "discovered" the almighty sitz bath for use after each and every bm...i have to lay down in the tub tho--sitting hurts...my question is what if (heaven forbid) i have to use the bathroom when i'm out--shopping, at work, or when i'm traveling?
is there something i can have with me that will help reign in the pain until i can get home and take a bath...tucks medicated pads? wet wipes? a quick dose of some cream?
dee
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: replacement for sitz bath on the go?

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 11 Mar 2010, 13:55

You may be able to get by with some dibucaine or lidocaine based creams. One widely available OTC dibucaine cream is called Nupercainal. I used it a little when my fissure hell began and it does help, although the relief won't be as much as warm water IMO. There are numerous lidocaine based creams available too but, around here at least, most brick-and-mortar stores don't carry the stronger 5% concentrations. You can order it online from places like Amazon.com though. It's the same stuff doctors use in their offices to numb the area before a rectal exam. You can probably find my previous posts on it by searching for "xylocaine".
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby StevePain » 08 Apr 2010, 08:31

Is there anything I can put into the bath, I.E. salt? I believe it's a great healer but I know it'll sting a bit, anyhow i'm just wondering if it can be used?
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby dee » 08 Apr 2010, 22:52

i sometimes use epsom salts, but sometimes i use some plain white vinegar instead (maybe a cup in the tub--less in a true sitz bath)...the vinegar was something my pcp suggested--i don't know if it helps any but it doesn't seem to hurt (and it's cheap--and vinegar is a great, gentle cleansing agent) so....
dee
Salt Bather

Postby StevePain » 09 Apr 2010, 00:53

Thanks dee, think i'll go buy some epsom salts and maybe some white vinegar and give them a try, do these sitz baths actually do anything in terms of pain relief as I haven't really tried them that much, only once or twice, or do I have to do them religiously?
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby dee » 09 Apr 2010, 02:07

i do them in the bathtub and it helps...to a point--in fact, if i stay in the tub too long it actually makes them worse for me...i don't sit in the tub (too painful) i lay down on my back with my head propped up on the back of the tub...i do them immediately after a bm and try to get out in 10-15 minutes time...the hot water feels good...of course you have to figure out what works for you...there are things people on this board say helps them that don't work for me...i try to use them after every bm, but especially the bad ones (but only if i'm at home--i always try to have them at home...)
good luck in finding what works for you...
dee
Salt Bather

Postby randomusernaame » 17 Apr 2010, 19:30

randomusernaame
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby dee » 25 May 2010, 02:51

yeah, i have one of those (although i never use it--i'd rather lay in the tub)...but i typically use a disposable washcloth (it's something i get at the hospital i work at) it's basically like a baby wipe i guess...and as soon as i can i do a real sitz bath--well at least a nice tub soak...
dee
Salt Bather

Postby Fissulyna » 25 May 2010, 14:12

Oh - that small sitz-bath can not do a job - no way Image
Water needs to STAY warm for 20 min and be very warm to produce an effect of muscle relaxation and increased blood circulation !!!!
Unfortunately - there is no such thing as a sitz-bath on the go *sigh - at least not adequate one Image
The only thing that comes close to that would be electric heating pad - I was sitting on that thing non-stop LOL
Bummer that they did not invent one that can be plugged in the car ... or maybe they did :roll: *hmmmm
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby StevePain » 07 Aug 2010, 04:14

I've been doing the sitz bath thing since I came home from hospital, at least 3 times a day, sometimes 4, I add some salt to the bath water and keep it warm/hot for the entire duration, I'm not sure if they are helping me or not, I feel ok when I'm in there but when I get out I get a bit of aching/throbbing pain, as I say I'm not sure if they are helping but am willing to keep them going for as long as possible especially if they are helping the healing process.
StevePain
King Fissure