could I still be having spasms?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

could I still be having spasms?

Postby Guest » 26 Oct 2010, 09:39

It's been a week since LIS and I feel like I'm still having spasms. I am still having problems having complete bm's. I had a skin tag removed and the fissure cauterized so I'm not sure if my butt is temporarily freaking out and this will go away. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, when did it stop?
I'm a little worried but I realized it's only been 7 days...

Re: could I still be having spasms?

Postby Deleted User 428 » 26 Oct 2010, 13:50

Hey Dawn.
I never really had spasms even when I had my fissure so I can't say on that. I can say that I had all kinds of strange sensations down there and still do occasionally even almost 5 weeks after surgery. I still get some strange burning and itching but it seems to be coming from the incision area. I just think it's all part of the healing. It's still early for me too so I'm not worried about anything. All I can say is that my BM's are comfortable and I no longer have that fissure pain so I'm one happy camper.
If you are concerned maybe check with your CRS. I see mine next week for the post-op check and I almost want to kiss him on the mouth. :)
Deleted User 428

Postby Guest » 26 Oct 2010, 15:21

Thanks SC,
I called my crs today and I told them I was having them. It's really tight and hurts like hell when I pass gas or have a bm. I can't believe this but she said it does happen sometimes when the butt has cuts. I am praying I'm not one of the unlucky ones that lis doesn't work for. I keep taking hot baths hoping it will calm down and start to heal.
I read a few others has spasms after many cuts and healed. I think Fissy and Rustybridges had them too.
This is really making me nervous though. It hurts as bad as it did before the surgery except I'm not feeling shards of glass, just a real tight feeling like I'm passing a huge bm and it's nothing. Passing gas causes it to clench too.

Postby PaulsPain » 26 Oct 2010, 15:56

Hey Dawn-
Yes, I had spasms after my LIS surgery. I was told that it isn't that all uncommon since things are traumatized pretty well. Once things start to heal hopefully they will lessen in intensity and then go away.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby Guest » 26 Oct 2010, 16:42

thanks Paul,
do you remember how long it took to settle down? did you take baths, or anything i can do?

Postby PaulsPain » 26 Oct 2010, 16:53

It took me several months to have it settle down. But I am not sure if I am a good basis to go by since I had so much done at once. I still get spasms but they are not as intense as pre-LIS.
For me my norm was to take 2 Advil after my morning BM adventure. Plus soak at least twice a day. Once the Advil kicked in I usually was ok.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby Guest » 26 Oct 2010, 16:59

I'm doing the baths and going to get back to taking advil, maybe a vicodin so i can sleep tonight.

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 27 Oct 2010, 00:23

Hey dawn, I didn't have anything that I'd call spasms after LIS only, but as you know I did have lots of discomfort and took Vicodin for quite a while. Is it something that painkillers help at all? If it is then I wouldn't be shy about taking them. I know a lot of people try not to, but honestly I don't see any reason to avoid them, assuming that they actually help.
Soaking in the tub did help the discomfort I had while recovering. Although I didn't have spasms, I did have everything from aching to stinging to sharp shooting feelings, both around the anal verge and deeper in the rectum (I suppose it's possible that those were actually spasms that I didn't recognize). I didn't have skin tag removal but I'm sure that adds to the post-op discomfort in your case.
I definitely understand the anxiety, but at 7 days out there's going to be a lot going on. Actually make that "a lot going on that doctors aren't very good at warning patients about." But it's way too early to worry about the long run yet -- you'll be just fine. I know I'm going to sound like some kind of pill pusher here, but at just 1 week out, I'd say to take sufficient Vicodin to cover up the discomfort and within a week or two things will probably start to settle down very noticeably (although you will likely still get some odd sensations for a while to come). The pain *WILL* subside, you just need to ride it out until that happens.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 27 Oct 2010, 07:16

Hey NG,
I took the vicodin last night and slept a lot better. I'm trying not to take it in the day time because I did notice harder bms after surgery but I will take the ibuprofen during the day. I guess I stopped too early.
I'm going to take a lot of baths and hopefully get the spasms to settle down enough to have a complete bm. I have been taking 5 colace and 1tsp of MOM. I'm worried I may get constipated as long as it takes to get just a small amount of stool to come out. It's soft but just not much coming out when I go. This really freaked me out because I had the same problem many times before lis when I'd tear.
I know it's looser down there because gas is silent and when I did have a full bm the day after surgery, it was much bigger than I've ever had before.
I know you're right, it's too early and I need to be patient. I just remembered the crs telling me the spasms would be gone immediately and that freaked me out. Image

Postby Guest » 27 Oct 2010, 07:29

I'm also having some leakage going on that's causing a lot of irritation, any tips? I wish I could use vaseline or A&D but the crs office said no.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?