LIS surgery was today

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS surgery was today

Postby Pavel96 » 22 Jun 2011, 22:35

I had my LIS surgery today, my fissure had developed into a fistula, so the surgeon said the cut he made was longer than normal. I didn't think the procedure was that bad, but after getting home and the local wore off, I am right now experiencing sever pain. I am taking percocet as we speak, I really hope the pain subsides some tommorrow. I am confident the surgery wil probably be the long term solution, but right now the pain really sucks. UGHH, hope to give better news later on in the week :-(
Pavel96
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: LIS surgery was today

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 22 Jun 2011, 22:45

Hey there, first things first: NICE avatar! Hahahaha. Man that's gotta be top 5 ever on this forum :)
Regarding the fistula: you're not the first one who had a fissure develop into a fistula. It can happen, unfortunately. Hopefully it was caught early on and dealt with appropriately (sounds like it has).
Do take the Percocet as needed, or even around the clock to stay ahead of the pain if it's very severe. One thing to be sure of is to take effective stool softeners, as otherwise Percocet can be very constipating (I take it for other conditions on occasion). Also, if Percocet causes any bad side effects for you, it is generally safe to take both opiates like Percocet and NSAIDs like ibuprofen together (the main instance when this wouldn't be true would be if you have ulcers or kidney issues that are contraindicated for NSAIDs). In fact the painkilling effects of opiates and ibuprofen are synergistic when combined. That may allow you to reduce your Percocet usage and thereby constipation.
I don't know your backstory (sorry) but if you had a fistula, then surgery ABSOLUTELY was the right thing to do. Zero question there, period. You had to do it and really had no other viable choice. Did your surgeon call it just LIS or was it also with a fistulotomy? Just curious.
Many of us have ups and downs following LIS, so do expect there to be some bad days and some good days. And hey, some people bounce right back, so it's possible that you'll be one of those nice clean textbook cases!
Hope tomorrow brings a better day for you, and do keep us posted on how things go as you progress through recovery!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby val » 23 Jun 2011, 05:02

Hi there,
sorry you're suffering! I had the same op as you 3 years ago, and another fistula op last week. It's not pleasant, but it does get better.
Yeah, I second what NG said - definitely stay on top of the pain, and stool softeners are an absolute got-to-have, otherwise you will be in a lot of pain, especially after those kind of meds, and the onesthey give you in theatre.
The first BM might worry you - it wont be as bad as you think, but take a strong painkiller before it and you should be fine.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Deleted User 579 » 23 Jun 2011, 05:57

Hey Paval! Congratulations on getting the surgery behind you! I agree with everything NG and Val said - stay on top of the pain. A good stool softener, like Miralax, will help prevent constipation. I transitioned from Percocet to Ibuprofen at the end of the first week (I only had LIS). The healing and pain are up and down, but, in my experience, after the first week, it was mostly up. By the end of week two my pain was pretty minimal - just the odd pain now and then. There are a few older boardies here who had their fissures develop into fistulas and they healed well. Everybody heals differently, of course, but if you get lots of rest, bathe frequently, stay on top of the pain, and keep the stools soft, I expect you will have a great recovery.
Hang in there! It does get better!
Deleted User 579

Postby Pavel96 » 24 Jun 2011, 01:48

Yes thank your for all the advice, I did start taking ibuprofen, and the swelling went down, was having a feeling of not being able to urninate fully I think from the swelling, well today is better than yesterday, well see what tommorrow brings, but already crossed the rubicon with a BM and it wasn't as bad as I thought, so we will see what happens tommorrow -P
Pavel96
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 24 Jun 2011, 07:18

Hey Pavel - I'm glad that you are doing better! The BMs should get easier, but the pain might be up and down for a little while yet (maybe not, though - everyone is different). I'm glad the ibuprofen did the trick.
I hope you're having a good day! :D
Deleted User 579

Postby Savaici » 24 Jun 2011, 18:13

Hope it's going better for you with the pain, Pavel. Great avatar! Fits to the T!! I just second everyone with staying on top of the constipation issue. That is what I remember from hemmy surgeries that I've had, the darn constipation afterwards from a total lack of knowledge on my part. Time teaches you a few tricks, and all that Internet research. Hope you feel a lot better tomorrow...and you got the first BM out of the way, so to speak. (in my wildest dreams/nightmares, never thought I would ever be mentioning BMs in a sentence to anyone. Now I am just glad that I can!)
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Pavel96 » 26 Jun 2011, 13:05

Well I had my surgery on Wednesday and today I really only have pain after a BM, which lasts prob 20 minutes. Well let me correct that, the duration of pain after can vary depending on how things came out. How long did others have pain after a BM after the LIS surgery. Aside from that I have no other pain, I am going to attempt to move away from percocet today and just do the ibuprofen, well see how that goes. I also have to go back into work tommorrow this working from home the last few days has been a godsend :-)
Pavel96
Fibre Addict

Postby StevePain » 27 Jun 2011, 16:22

Pavel96 wrote: How long did others have pain after a BM after the LIS surgery.

Maybe I'm the wrong person to ask LOL!!!
Anyway, I had pain after BM since forever LOL, sure, some days are better than others but I still have discomfort after BM @ 11 months post-op...
Sorry but you did ask! Image
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Deleted User 579 » 28 Jun 2011, 07:24

Hey Pavel - I'm so glad the pain is subsiding. I had some pain after BMs for almost two weeks after my LIS, but they got less and less in terms of intensity and frequency. Mostly the pain came from residual spasms, so I took an extra-strength Robaxacet (which is a muscle relaxant) and an ibuprofen. The Robaxacet can make you dopey, but there is a non-drowsy version too.
Try not to push yourself too much too soon. Recovery is up and down and really requires a lot of patience and TLC.
I hope you're having a great day so far!
Deleted User 579