My Not LIS Diary - My AF Excision Diary

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: My Not LIS Diary - My AF Excision Diary

Postby workingonit » 21 Mar 2012, 10:28

Linda,
I don't mean to be invasive, but I am curious why people who have fissurectomies have less pain then they did with the fissure?
I wondered if you had any ideas? What was your CRS's thinking on that?
I'm so glad you are feeling better!!
It sounds like you have a little piece of eden where you live.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby lindwe » 21 Mar 2012, 12:25

Hi Tanya
You're not invasive - CRS yes now he is.
I'm not sure why fissurectomies hurt less than the AF. I suspect it may be to do with it being a new & clean cut. All the scar tissue has gone and everything is smooth so maybe things just slip past without pulling or tearing!
I'll bet Davo knows.
Keep well,
lindwe
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Day 5 - Wednesday

Postby lindwe » 21 Mar 2012, 16:19

Was a little more careful this morning post BM. Made sure I was gentle & soaked for a good while. Took pain killers as uncomfortable when I woke up. BM okay - soft & smooth!!!
I actually made it out of the house today. I walked to and from the post box to send my sick note into work. A whole 600 yards I think. Still it was nice to get into the sunshine for ten mins. I answered a couple of phone calls from work, read my book, listened to the radio and started the 2000 piece jigsaw I got for my birthday. Not sure where we'll eat until I finish it as it's huge and takes the entire dining table.
Felt uncomfortable off and on all day today and the bleeding/ seepage from the op has increased a little. Nothing too concerning. But I won't think about doing without the painkillers just yet.
So I have a little excursion planned for tomorrow. I have to go to the post office to get my passport forms checked. I don't know how I'm going to cope with the excitement. I'll probably have to have a lie down to recover.
Well that's me for today. Sorry to be less than exciting but I suppose post op that is what it should be.
Happy healing.
lindwe
Salt Bather

Postby rasmith3530 » 21 Mar 2012, 22:43

Linda,
Glad to hear you are making progress. Take it slow and steady so that progress can continue. And don't do like I did and mistake grilled up jalepeno pepper for bell pepper. What goes in hot, comes out hot!
Take care and keep moving forward.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby lindwe » 22 Mar 2012, 03:43

Thanks Rob - you too
lindwe
Salt Bather

Postby Davo » 22 Mar 2012, 08:11

Just catching up with your updates now and your comment, "I'll bet Davo knows" in relation to Tanyas comment about why people have less pain with fissurectomies than they do with the fissures.... :D
Well when i read Tanya's comment, i actually thought that was an excellent question and to be honest it completely baffles me. I cant understand how having the edges and skin tags completely cut away from the fissure can cause less pain than having them there in the first place.
To me thats like chopping your head off off to relieve a headache...
Anyway i admit defeat on this question Image
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Day 6 Thursday - better late than never

Postby lindwe » 23 Mar 2012, 05:30

So Thursday... a day of excitement and expedition.
AM usual routine of tea, toast, painkiller & bathroom. All fine. Still got a bit of a deep ache during the morning but nothing that a couple of paras can't cope with.
Raised the energy to sort hair and put a bit of slap on. Got 'fully' dressed and ready to go. Ok I know it was only the local town post office to get my passport forms checked but the trip achieved three things:-
1) It got me moving properly and out the house.
2) It means I can go on holiday later in the year - abroad!
3) Food - I popped into the supermarket & stocked up on food. When I say 'stocked up' I mean I bought pizza & salad for Thursday night and some fruit.
I was glad to get out and about although I did suffer one or two shooting pains along the incision. Once I got home I had a soak and that seemed to sort me out. It also confirms that I'm not ready to go back to work as driving was a bit uncomfortable so I won't be going any distance for a while. Little steps will be the way forward I think. I don't want to set myself back that's for sure. I have been signed off until next Friday and then I have two weeks Easter hols to get really well. So I have the luxury of taking it as easy as I need to.
I have my post op appointment with my CRS this afternoon (Friday) so fingers crossed that everything is healing. I think the incision is okay but I have no idea what the prolapse is doing. Wish me luck.
Happy pain free healing all.
lindwe
Salt Bather

Postby 44alegna44 » 23 Mar 2012, 07:12

Hi Linda, best wishes for a doc visit that indicates a successful recovery so far! I have a question..I never heard of a prolapse in the anus until your post, do you know what causes this? Angel
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Day 7 Friday - Post CRS check up

Postby lindwe » 23 Mar 2012, 10:12

Good news! My CRS thinks I'm healing well and that 'we' should just leave nature to take it's course. ETA a week or so. He doesn't see the need for me to see him again unless I have any problems. My various aches & pains are perfectly normal as is the weeping from the incision. He thinks that I should not need the Movicol after two weeks as long as I keep my fibre and water intake high. I might just take half the dose for a week or so until I feel more confident on that score.
I asked him about why a fissurectomy causes so little pain when a fissure causes so much. He said no one really knows. It is thought that removing the scar tissue at the site relaxes the muscle and so things move smoothly. Same thinking as LIS in some respects.
I asked about the prolapse. Do you know they shouldn't really talk to people just after they've had a GA? Surgeons should certainly not be allowed to speak to people and expect them to remember or understand something totally new. So this is what he told me last week, as opposed to, what I thought I heard:- I have/had a rectocele prolapse, that means the bowel is bulging out of place. So not a rectal prolapse with the bowel bulging into the anus. He drew me a diagram today and I understand now. The bowel doesn't empty fully and a causes a bulge to the front. It can also cause bacteria to build up causing infections. By using the movicol it should clear up by itself with no further action needed as my rectocele was quite small. I hope that clears up any confusion I may have caused!
So that's me a week on. Almost sorted and certainly a million times better than I was eight days ago. The biggest change is how positive I feel about life in general. I feel I can plan to do things, subject to other half being in the country of course, without wondering if I'm going to feeling well enough when the time comes. I worry about people in pain not even knowing they have an AF. Or knowing but not finding this site and trying to do it alone. I can't thank you all enough for being here over the last few weeks I just wish I'd found you sooner.
I'll keep you posted and I'll certainly be checking in to see how you are all doing. Image
lindwe
Salt Bather

Postby 44alegna44 » 23 Mar 2012, 14:45

Hi Linda, I'm sharing your happiness with you!!!!! How wonderful you must feel to get the all clear from your crs! May your progress continue on and may you enjoy each and every day to come! Best wishes, Angel :)
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9