CRS said SOL

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: CRS said SOL

Postby workingonit » 23 Feb 2012, 18:14

Well,
My GP got my a second referral. The CRS sounds very good, but also very in demand. AFs as we all know here, are not viewed as very important. They won't kill us, just wreck our quality of life.
So my appointment isn't til July 25th.
-sheesh-
I'll call and see about cancellations though.
In the mean time I feel at the mercy of the insensitive and basically unhelpful guy I am seeing now.
Depending what he says when I see him next week, I will be planning to go to that chinese clinic and see what they say, and start giving dilation a try.
I don't feel like I'm healed. The last couple days of my menstrual cycle seem to have set me back again. AND I DON"T KNOW WHY! Image
One other thing, after I see him next week, I will be stopping the stupid nifedipine. No sense bleeding to death if it isn't even helping my fissure. (I've been anemic for months now, and the nifedipine makes my menstruation really heavy).
TMI i know, apologies, just venting.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby workingonit » 13 Mar 2012, 10:34

I got a last minute call yesterday when the crs I was referred to for a second opinion had a cancellation. It was super yucky weather, which is probably why they got the cancellation
Anyways,
This CRS, dr. phang (pronounced 'pang') is very nice. He too seemed to think it was no big deal, and not something he could really help with. He thought it would heal on it's own. Of course he asks if I've ever been constipated or get constipated. I say no, and that's the end of the conversation.
It's like they are at a loss as to cause if it isn't constipation. Which I suppose they are.
He didn't really seem to want to spend time with me, like it isn't important. He was very nice about it and answered my questions, but always with that 'one foot out the door' feeling.
Mind you, I can't remember the last time i didn't get that impression from a doctor... about anything.
He said it was hard to see the fissure because of the sentinel. But he could see a bit of swelling. No sign of infection. He had me squeeze his finger and said the muscle felt good.
SOooo, according to him;
having a baby or a forceps delivery does not mean LIS isn't an option. He didn't say whether he thought LIS would help.
He figured I might as well not do the topicals since they make my period so heavy and seemed to think I would still heal without them. But he didn't actually say it.
He didn't think the episiotomy scar could be a factor as the fissure is superficial and on the inside of the anus, so not near the scar.
He didn't think I would need any 'work' done to the fissure itself to help it heal, like fissurectomy or abrading the edges.
He thinks controlled dilation isn't really controlled, because it involves tearing of the muscle and you can't predict where the tearing will occur.
He thinks self dilation might help because it is gentler and can work like a massage. He said it is good for spasms.
He said botox is an option but didn't seem to want to do it. He felt I should continue trying to heal the way I am.
It is true, that here in Canada, you have to pay for the botox which is $300-$400. I have supplementary insurance that would probably refund part of that.
So basically I would call him and set up the appointment to inject it. Make sure the pharmacy would have it ready that day. Then go pick it up and bring it to him, on ice. He would have to inject it within 2 hours of my picking it up.
kinda nuts.
But he said he would be happy to do it, if I made that decision.
So I guess I am kinda where I was at before I saw him. I need to keep up the fibre, metamucil, olive oil and prune juice with plenty of liquids. And start self dilating.
I was feeling better yesterday, and today is good too. It's just the uncertainty that gets you down.
There's still that NATCM clinic to try as well. I emailed them last week about fissures, but haven't heard back.
I plan to call them after the March break and hear what they think too.
I still have an appointment to finally see dr. Pezim, the first CRS on the 29th of March. I may go, I may not.
Image Image Image
-sigh-
Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby workingonit » 13 Mar 2012, 11:45

oh yah, the one thing that cheered me up was in his experience, anterior or posterior makes no difference in healing times.
-phew!-
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby Davo » 13 Mar 2012, 13:54

So how are you feeling Tanya? Is this the outcome you were hoping for or were you hoping for AD or LIS?
You have suffered way too long with this now so i was hoping you were going to come back with something really positive to put an end to your suffering once and for all.
If a consultant would consider you for LIS do you think you would agree to it?
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby workingonit » 13 Mar 2012, 14:10

Hey Davo,
I don't think LIS is the answer for me.
I was just hoping another crs would take more of an interest.
I am going to call that chinese NATCM clinic tomorrow and set up a consultation for after March break.
In the meantime I believe I am healing, with the odd setback. But each setback hasn't been as bad as the previous one. I haven't even had a trace of blood for almost exactly 3 weeks. It is a long time to endure though.
I gotta say though, this time last year recovering from Ativan, I felt 10 times worse. So I gotta put things in perspective.
Look forward to hearing about your surgery tomorrow. (what a strange thing to say!) LOL :)
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby Davo » 13 Mar 2012, 14:23

Yeah LIS never seemed to be the right option for you.
I hoped that as we had been at a similar stages throughout this ordeal i thought the end might have been in sight for you too.
Well theres no turning back for me now - its going to be an interesting day tomorrow and I think the next few days could be quite eventful too :D
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby workingonit » 13 Mar 2012, 16:02

Thanks for the sentiment Davo,
I appreciate it. Who knows, maybe by the time you have totally healed from the LIS?
I'm sure you will do well and be well on yur way to recovery by the weekend!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby workingonit » 16 Mar 2012, 09:51

One other thing the second guy said, was he doesn't think my anemia was slowing my healing. But I have noticed a lot of improvement coinciding with my increased iron.
So I have to disagree with him there too.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby workingonit » 29 Mar 2012, 15:14

Well I saw my first CRS again. For the last time I hope.
He said it (the af) seems to be doing better.
He said the enlarged papilla is a nuisance but nothing to worry about. It might shrink after I heal, and it might not. Kinda what he says to all my questions.
I told him I was self dilating, and he said it wouldn't hurt and might help 'loosen up/ relax' the sphincter muscle. Kinda what the nifedipine was supposed to be doing.
So I just keep on keeping on.
I really do feel more relaxed about the whole thing. I think that has a lot to do with my iron levels improving. I feel less anxious and depressed. I don't dwell on my butt as much as I was.
I will probably still see the TCM guy next week though, just to see what he says.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby pgre » 29 Mar 2012, 19:53

Hi Tanya,
I'm happy to know that you're healing. It gives us all hope that there is an end to this. Wish you luck :)
pgre
Salt Bather

Topics: 6