3 day post of check, I think my dr is a jerk.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: 3 day post of check, I think my dr is a jerk.

Postby MelissaB » 25 Apr 2012, 12:35

After no relief from the pain, I called the doctor this am. The nurse called back and said that apparently my fissure was deeper than usual and had much scar tissue. What is causing the pain is the TWO stitches! I'm wondering if that means I had a sphicnterectomy instead of a sphinterotomy? Now I'm scared to death of getting a fistula. I know now the surgery was definitely needed but the pain is unrelenting. At least before it would taper off throughout the day. forgive the typos i can't sit, stand, or lie on my sides, so it's awkward typing in this position.
MelissaB
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby workingonit » 25 Apr 2012, 12:58

Hey Melissa,
I am so so sorry you are feeling so much pain. It will get better though, so hang in there. Don't worry about fistulas at this early date, just follow your docs directions to stay clean.
Sending you healing thoughts!! Image
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby jr2 » 25 Apr 2012, 13:17

MelissaB...
So, it sounds like you had a fissurectomy, but it seems a little unclear, did they also do the sphincterotomy?
I agree with Tanya. Just focus all your energy on healing and recovery and following the hygiene instructions your surgeon gave you.
One day under your healing belt! Image
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby jr2 » 25 Apr 2012, 13:21

Melissa...
Since you are taking Percocet, which is highly constipating, and you mentioned in your other post you are on fiber and Colace only, you might want to call your doctor and ask them about adding Miralax to prevent constipation and keep your stools very soft.
jr2

Postby Sue1962 » 26 Apr 2012, 06:05

Hi Melissa,
Hope you are feeling better today. I didn't have stitches, but I can tell you, soaks in the tub really help. I soaked like 4-5 times a day the first week, for 20 min. each time. I also did not wear any underwear, just let the air get to everything and was faithful with my Miralax. I had a pretty easy recovery and never needed my Rx pain meds, but I only had LIS. I was ready for the world at day 5 post op. Just don't get frusterated, sounds like you had a fissuerctomy as well and that takes more time to heal and is more painful. Hang in there!! each day will be better than the day before!!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby MelissaB » 26 Apr 2012, 07:30

I am taking miralax and colace and citrucel. Needed to go this morning, but it feels stuck. the pain is soooooooooooo much worse now than BEFORE surgery. I don't know wht to think or do and I know I need to get this BM out of the way. Frustrated.
MelissaB
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 26 Apr 2012, 10:57

Melissa,
Miralax is a slow acting laxative, so between the Percocet, the effects of anesthesia, and my guess is you probably aren't on a full diet yet, it is probably all making things sluggish to get started. That combined with the natural tension you're having from the severe pain. You can try doing some abdominal massage, following the natural rhythms of your colon, especially after you have eaten. Beginning on the lower right side of your abdomen nd massaging gently upward toward your ribs, then across your abdomen to the other side, then down the left side. Like you are making a big letter U as you massage. Since natural movement of the intestine is greatest after meals, the massage will work better after you eat, particularly in the mornings after breakfast. Everyone says the bowel movement after surgery is the scariest, and once that one is out of the way it will hopefully start getting better for you.
I'm keeping you in my thoughts and hoping this pain starts easing up for you very soon. x
jr2

Postby MelissaB » 26 Apr 2012, 11:46

Well, it took 2 hours, but I finally had a BM.
first, I need to thank this board, because had I not had this idea, I would have hurt so much worse than I did. Someone gave the advice to actually go WHILE using your sitz bath. That is the only time my bum can relax...even tho it still feels like the stitches are going to fall out.
so....that's what I did. And it WORKED! Just had to hop in the bath rite away, but if you are having problems, you might just try it.
my doctors office has been no help. I still can't sit on my butt. I am on my side. Since the pain meds aren't helping, I've stopped taking them, so at least I can think clearly.
anyone have stitches after a plain LIS?
MelissaB
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 26 Apr 2012, 12:08

Hi Melissa,
Congratulations on getting the first BM out of the way!
I know SweetBugaboo had both LIS and fissurectomy performed, i think back in January if i remember right, so you might want to try messaging her.
jr2

Postby MelissaB » 28 Apr 2012, 09:25

Went to crs yesterday for a check up...he was literally in the room for less than 5 minutes. This guy is supposedly the best in Tulsa, yet, I don't think I could recommend him just due to his office staff and his poor attitude. Image
He took a peek and said everything is healing as it should and that I need to remember that this is a hard surgery to recover from. He said that it will probably take 3-4 weeks to feel normal again. He said since I got the dreaded first poop out of the way, it should be smooth sailing from now on.
I told him that the pain is coming from the feeling of the tearing of the stitches every time I sit to pee or my stitz bath. I also have a "knot" or something the size of a bean that is hard on the outside of my anus. He said that that is normal, but I don't remember any of you all posting that? That's really the only thing that hurts.
Oh and for those of you considering surgery...the BM's are soooooooo much less painful after surgery. However, surgery, for SOME of us, is a booger!! Image
MelissaB
Salt Bather