New to the Forum but not to Fissures

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to the Forum but not to Fissures

Postby Dogdays » 22 May 2012, 10:54

Hello I am 55 and have been getting anal fissures for about 7 years. Most of the time I dont have them thankfully and I am puzzled what causes them still and even more puzzled what makes them better again. I have had rear endoscopy with nothing of significance to report. Very occasionally use GTN and soothing anusol type productts but this week was afflicted badly and tried everything I could..from all bran, gelatine, turmeric, olive oil and chilli powder to epsom salts and omeprazole which I take for acid. In a state of desperation this morning I slapped on sensitive toothpaste and wow instant relief. It feels really cold and stings minimally but not as much or as long as usual poo afterpain. Another regime I have is what I call 'water birthing' i.e I fill a standard round washing up bowl with medium hot water and sit it in the toilet pan without the seat down. Some bowls will fit and stay there and you can sit on the pan. Dunk your rear into the water and if you can massage the sore area gently. Do your breathing exercises girls a few deep breaths in then several rapid quick ones out. DONT PUSH!
YOunger or more athletic folks may be able to squat over the bowl on the floor but I end up falling over. The result is much less painful than a dry 'birth' IYKWIM. The warm water also soothes the area instantly. DRy gently with cotton and apply your soother cream (or sensitive toothpaste). I believe my recent episode was started by a dental extraction before and after which I had very little food for 3 days. I get this if I try to diet too. My body reacts violently to reducing my food intake. I was also on Tetracycline for tooth and was unable to have dairy products for 7 days so dairy products were not a cause in my case. Other factors may have been eating a sweetcorn cob neat and the antibiotic itself. My sister works in medical research for bowels and says my whole scenario smacks of Ulcerative colitis but my doctors conclude, from internal investigation, I just have piles inside, external tags and once had a thrombosed pile. This evil thing hides itself very successfully so I cant get much more help. Worst social thing is it irritates my bladder too and I cant go more than 15 mins without peeing so I have to take a pot everywhere with me. I tend to not go far now and just call it agoraphobia..it's easier to explain.
Dogdays

Topics: 1

Re: New to the Forum but not to Fissures

Postby workingonit » 24 May 2012, 08:19

hi,
Interesting to use toothpaste. It is a cleaner, so I guess it would clean that area?
Often hemorrhoids are what cause a fissure or stop it from healing easily. Have you tried any of the oral medications for the hemmies?
You might want to see a CRS (Colon rectal surgeon) to see if they can offer any help.
thanks for the tips on what works for you!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Re: New to the Forum but not to Fissures

Postby BillUltra » 24 May 2012, 15:00

On the toothpaste: do you prefer the cool mint flavor?
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19