Recent Surgery! Need advice and support!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Recent Surgery! Need advice and support!

Postby ZeeZee » 12 Sep 2012, 10:17

Good morning guys, my name is Zaheer, I'm frm Trinidad and Tobago. I'm 30. I recently did a Fistulomy on 2012-09-05, last Wednesday! I want to say thank you to the creator of this forum! I thought I was all alone before this! The surgery went 'smoothe' according to my Surgeon, he said he insterted a 'seton' as a precautionary measure in order to maintain bowel control. Post surgery I've been restng on beed for most of the day, it's been a week and most of the bleeding has stpped except for whn I have a BM, there is some blood on the tissue, is this normal?! Also, whn I wipe the wound, there is a yellow liquid, not PUS, is tht normal?! A nurse dresses the wound for me daily at home and she says it's 'pink' and tht's a good sign of no infection! I'm due to see my Surgeon next Tuesday at 12:45pm! Any advice is greatly appreciated!
ZeeZee
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Re: Recent Surgery! Need advice and support!

Postby Ever the Optimist » 12 Sep 2012, 11:52

Hey ZeeZee,
Congratulations on getting through the surgery, sounds like it went well and you are certainly not alone on this site!
What you've described sounds totally normal for a week post op. A little bleeding is good at this stage and the discharge sounds normal too. Even if there was pus, that would still be normal too! Just clearing out going on....
Honestly, it sounds like you are doing great and the nurse will keep an eye on any risk of infection for you.
Good luck with your continued healing and you now know where all us other post-Op fistula friends are!!! :D
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby ZeeZee » 12 Sep 2012, 12:05

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Where are you frm?! Did you have a Fistula as well?! You sound like you're really experienced in this area! It's good to have someone to talk to. It's such a 'taboo' thng, knw wht I mean?!
ZeeZee
Salt Bather

Postby Sue27uk » 12 Sep 2012, 12:54

I agree with ETO. I had a fissure which turned to a fistula, but mine went across the muscle. I had a fisurotomy and am almost 10 weeks post-op and still had slight bleeding a couple of weeks ago. I also had some discharge which I was worried about but turned out to be totally normal. Good luck with your healing, sounds like you are going in the right direction :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby Ever the Optimist » 12 Sep 2012, 12:57

Hey no worries....We are all here to help! :)
I'm actually from the UK and developed my Fistula in March this year following an abscess that grew suddenly and then popped pretty quickly! A few weeks after that, found a little soft fleshy lump, which continued to ooze pus, and would then build up to be sore & inflamed again and then ooze and so on...never ending cycle as you know! I had my Fistulomy (different to your procedure as I had it "deroofed" to heal from the inside out.) I didn't need the Seton because it was superficial and did not interact with the sphincter muscle. approx 2.5 months on, my fistula is healed, no longer pussing. It's been confirmed as gone. I won't deny I'm still in some discomfort during some BM's but I will get it all checked in a few weeks by my CRS. The very best advice I can give you is to EAT well & keeps things smoother than ever. Essential whilst healing (& after!). Loads of fluids to keep it all passing through with a stool softener if you need it and keep the recovery site meticulously clean to prevent reinfection. Don't use paper or wipe the area, dab with baby wipes or if you have a detachable shower head, just rinse it all gently away after a BM (that's what I do!) Finally, tempting though it may be, DON'T apply any form of external cream/ lotion etc. to the area as the wound is still open. Keep it all super clean and dry.
I know what you mean by the "taboo" thing, but at the same time, since I've had this issue, I've also been amazed by the level of support I've received and then you begin to find out that actually quite a lot of people have been through it or at least know someone else who's suffered it. I think it's more common than we think but not many want to disclose it or talk about it!! That's why this site is just the best thing I ever came across and there are so many other great people on here. You will find loads of other accounts on here with people's experiences and hopefully, all the support & reassurance you need :D
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby ZeeZee » 12 Sep 2012, 13:32

You're so right ETO because the nurse tht comes home says tht she 'dresses' wounds like mine regularly, it's just tht people don't talk abt it as openly.. Thank you for your advice as you can tell by the speed of my reply, I'm constantly browsing the site.. I'm resting in bed, does this aid recovery and healing?! I eat Paw Paw, I don't knw if you knw wht tht is.. Papaya?! Someone says tht aids healing.. You may knw better thn I do..
Thank you Sue! Your words are very encouraging but seeing blood in my stool always makes me feel depressed and sad, I was hoping tht this surgery would rid me of tht curse! Firstly, my GP thought it was hemroids, thn another GP said it was NOT hemriods but I had a Fistula, CRS confirmed and the rest is surgery! =p Were you resting in bed a lot?!
ZeeZee
Salt Bather

Postby ZeeZee » 13 Sep 2012, 05:29

Just had a BM, little blood, I'm always happy whn I see tht.. I thnk the blood was frm the wound! Woohoo! Used warm salt water to 'splash' the wound, is tht correct?! Just lyng down with a Gauze on it waiting on the nurse.. How are you guys today?!
ZeeZee
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 13 Sep 2012, 13:03

Hey Zee,
Glad to hear you are feeling so cheery and positive! :D
Blood from the wound is completely normal at this stage and I always use a shower head gently to clean up after a BM, so splashing the wound thoroughly, sounds a good plan!
Getting all that rest in bed is the best thing you can be doing too...kind of wish I had taken it easy a little more!
& No, I have no idea about Papaya! Never tried it to be honest! but hope it's helping you...
Today's been a really good day Image - Thanks for asking :)
No painful BM's and minor discomfort to the point where I forgot all about my bum for large parts of today. I've not had a day like this before, so hoping it's a positive sign for further healing....and fingers crossed it continues!!....
Keep updating!
Ever the Optimist

Postby ZeeZee » 13 Sep 2012, 13:10

ETO, I love hearng tht! Your positive news inspires me and motivates me! This forum is truly the best thng tht happened to me since surgery! Weren't you on sick leave after the procedure?! Am I alone in resting this much?! My CRS advised tht I should.. How long did you stay on bed?!
ZeeZee
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 13 Sep 2012, 13:56

Hey Zee,
It's a great forum isn't it? Probably the most used in my favourites right now!......
Yes, I was on sick leave - Had the op on a Weds, had the rest of that week off and the full week after and then returned to work the following week. I was OK but a few more days off wouldn't have hurt either! I have an Office job though, so was actually able to sit quite comfortably and work, padded out with a donut ring and cushions!!
I had bed or sofa rest pretty much for the best part of 2 days after the op but after that felt OK to start pottering about again, doing stuff and tbh, I'm not very good in recovery as I still feel guilt that I should be up doing something else. Get bored too easily as well! I did have two hour afternoon sessions on the sofa though for the rest of the time I was off!
I really think you are doing the right thing resting up. Can only help in the early recovery stage. Make the most of it!! :)
Ever the Optimist