Just had 2 fissures removed and sphincterotomy today

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Just had 2 fissures removed and sphincterotomy today

Postby ryanman0 » 05 Oct 2012, 18:58

7:46 - Ok. After 1/2 hour of being in the bathroom, I was finally able to urinate a bunch. I'm not sure if I got it all out. I tried running water, putting pressure on different spots with my hands, and many other things. Each time the urine stream would start to feel like it was coming out, it would stop.
The way I finally got some decent urine streams to come out was to stand up facing away from the toilet like I was going to sit down on it, bend over like I was going to touch my toes (legs only slightly bent), squeeze my abs a bit like I was trying to forcefully pass gas.
To envision this position, picture the position you are in when you first rise from sitting on the toilet. Now, bend over sticking your butt backwards. This position placed pressure against my midsection and also provided safety from a big cleanup in case my slight pressure (from trying to pass gas) really caused me to have a BM. Even then, I would run out of stream and have to wait. It was not real fun doing all of that standing in the bathroom for that long. I tried sitting on the toilet also, but that didn't work. But the medicine had kicked in a lot and I was feeling loopy and a lot less pain
Maybe some of you don't have to push at all to pass gas, but with all the swelling going on down there, I do have to add a slight push most of the time.
8:00 PM- So, in summary, this is not good. This is not good because I seem to be having issues urinating. As long as I can finally get myself to urinate, I'm ok. However, if this gets any worse, it could turn into a very serious issue. I'm using the ice right now to try to reduce any swelling (and this ice feels like it is causing tension in the anal area). To add to all of this, I'll probably have a BM soon. Looks like it could be a long night...
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 1

Postby ryanman0 » 05 Oct 2012, 19:20

8:05 PM (1 day after surgery) -I just wanted to mention the drainage volume and the method I am using to catch the drainage.
--Catching the drainage---
The discharge papers said I could use toilet paper to catch the drainage. They suggested a small triangle. Instead, I'm using more of a rectangle. I folded up pieces of toilet paper (1 square of double ply) folded over 2 times to make a long rectangle shape. I place the edge of this pad that I have just made between my butt cheeks. I then push a little bit of it in to catch the drainage. I change it all the time, then I pat with toilet paper, use unscented baby wipes to gently pat and sometimes rub gently. And when needed, I get in the tub.
Again, I'm not the expert. Therefore, I'm not suggesting you do this. I'm just sharing what I have been doing. If I recall, the papers also suggested that I could use gauze bandage like they did. They just want the area clean and dry.
The drainage volume --
When I removed the original bandage from surgery, there was a lot of blood I soaked 1/4 of a square of Toilet Paper with mostly bright red blood over a period of 10 minutes upon removing it.
But then it slowed down. After that, the amount of drainage was small yesterday. Almost all liquid that only soaked the paper about the size of a penny. And that took about an hour or two to get that much.
However, after my last BM today (which was my first well formed one), drainage has increased. Now, its 30 minutes for a spot on the toilet paper almost the size of a Quarter. Also, there is sometimes a spot about 1/4 the size of a pencil eraser (just a little spot) of a gellike discharge. There is not much of that though. The papers say to call the doctor if the discharge is thick or has a smell. I'll keep watching it.
8:26- The pain is a lot less now (still laying in bed)
Last edited by ryanman0 on 05 Oct 2012, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 05 Oct 2012, 19:26

Ryan,
Your story reads like a book or something. Kind of keeps one on edge as to what it going to happen next with you! Some toast and crackers might be good to eat. I hope you don't continue to have trouble with urination. If it makes you feel any better, I'm recovering from a root canal I had yesterday and am taking Advil (recommended by the endodontist) as well as an AB. Good luck, and I hope you can soon start to relax a bit and not worry so much about what bad thing might happen next. You could try the cotton squares that women use to remove makeup or cotton balls which is what I used when I had my fissure. It's easier than having to fold TP and SOFTER as TP is really just refined wood!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby ryanman0 » 05 Oct 2012, 19:31

Your story reads like a book or something. Kind of keeps one on edge as to what it going to happen next with you! Some toast and crackers might be good to eat. I hope you don't continue to have trouble with urination. If it makes you feel any better, I'm recovering from a root canal I had yesterday and am taking Advil (recommended by the endodontist) as well as an AB. Good luck, and I hope you can soon start to relax a bit and not worry so much about what bad thing might happen next. Image

Good luck with your root canal recovery. As for the story, I am hoping that I am getting close to the "happily ever after" ending.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 05 Oct 2012, 19:39

My root canal recovery is going fine so far. Love my endodontist. This is the third root canal I've had--the last one was about 16 years ago. I had an abcess, and that is why I'm taking AB's which affect my digestive system. Hope your pain lessens and that urination gets easier for you.
cherylk
VIP

Postby ryanman0 » 05 Oct 2012, 21:02

cherylk wrote:My root canal recovery is going fine so far. Love my endodontist. This is the third root canal I've had--the last one was about 16 years ago. I had an abcess, and that is why I'm taking AB's which affect my digestive system. Hope your pain lessens and that urination gets easier for you.

Thanks! Glad your recovery is going good. I had a 1 root canal when I was much younger. I remember the pain would radiate all over my head and make it difficult to concentrate. I remember that I had no dental insurance and I had to put up with the pain for a while so I could save up for the procedure. So, I am sorry to hear that you had multiple root canals. Thanks for the best wishes. See my post below for some good news!
Last edited by ryanman0 on 05 Oct 2012, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ryanman0 » 05 Oct 2012, 21:30

CHAPTER 3:
DID MY RECOVERY JUST TAKE A TURN FOR THE BETTER?
10:00 pm (1 day after surgery). Good news to report. I have an empty bladder and had a much better Bowel Movement. Here is the 'play by play' recap of what happened.
I had the urge to urinate again. After 10 minutes of trying, I realized that nothing was coming out. I tried running water, placing my hand in a cup of warm water, pressing on my midsection. I also tried the position that had worked for me last time. No luck.
However, I noticed that the pressure to go to have a bowel movement was building up. In the reading I had done online today, I found out that constipation was listed as a cause of being unable to urinate. I wondered if I had a buildup of gas and waste that might be preventing me from urinating.
I sat down and nothing was happening. I decided to give a little light push (nothing I would consider straining) to get things started. The stool was soft and consistent and it was nicely formed. There was minimal pain. I noticed that as I had this bowel movement, my urine began to flow. I decided that I would try to empty more completely this time. Each time the flow of stool would stop, I would push a bit and start things back up. By the time I finished, the stool was piled up a lot in the toilet. In other words, it was A LOT of stool.
Once my light pushing stopped producing flow, I waited for the burning that I had last time. Nothing happened. No pain!!! I then remained seated and finished emptying my bladder. No pain, empty bladder, good BM !!! You all are so right that I worry too much! But- I guess that should have been clear on post 1 when I called everyone to say my last goodbyes before surgery. My wife has also been telling me from before the surgery to quit worrying so much.
Now, a word about the pushing. I'm not talking about some super flexed abs fighting hard to squeeze the stool out. I'm talking about just adding a bit of pressure very carefully as needed. I realize that there is a lot of risk with any pushing; however, we have to be realistic. The area is very swollen following surgery and its simply difficult to get it all out. I suspect that if I had given a bit of a push to get the rest out during my previous bowel movement, I would not have gotten so backed up that I couldn't urinate. At least that is what it seems like now.
After that, I began to clean the area. I felt a slight burning when I was using the baby wipes, so I used toilet paper and patted. Then I got in the tub. I made the water just a bit hotter this time. I took a bath, shaved, and sat my but in the hot water. I must admit that my butt was still burning. However, it was not as bad as before. I got out and it hurt a bit to walk around. But, it was nothing like last time. After this, it was pain medicine time. I took the medicine and laid sort of on my back leaning to the side for a while.
A cold front is coming in tonight here in Texas. Lows in the 40s according to my phone. So, my wife is making a nice steaming hot chicken and sausage gumbo with rice and crackers. I'm going to eat some (even if its not on the Fissure diet)! Then, I'll make sure I can still urinate and I might try to get some sleep.
Thanks for the positive encouraging words. It helps me to be able to come type all this up here. Its just that unless you have this condition, no one really cares to talk about these topics. It helps me to be able to browse to this forum, read what others went through, get advice, and share my experience.
and they ate gumbo, the fissure healed, and they all lived happily ever after :D
hoping the line above is the next post!
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ryanman0 » 06 Oct 2012, 00:46

1:38 AM (Nightime of the day after my surgery -- or early morning of the 2nd day depending on how you look at it)
- I ate the gumbo as planned. It was made a bit too spicy, I'll probably pay for that seasoning later. I Had another bowel movement tonight. It was soft. I had to push to get it started. Once started, it was easy. I also passed gas with it and urinated with no problems. The pain was much less. Still a bit of discharge and blood. Overall, it was not bad. I got right in the tub after cleaning the area and I just got out. It still hurts to walk and I walk funny to try and minimize the pain. The pain pills worked really good tonight and had me dazed out for a long time. This really helped. Is it because I took them on an empty stomach or because I took the last three doses on time? Anyway, the pain is still manageable and I'm still doing much better (just like in the last post).
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ryanman0 » 06 Oct 2012, 03:29

4:20 am 2nd day after surgery. Still having a little trouble urinating. But much better. Pain is better. I have to bend over and push a bit to pass gas. Started taking ibuprofen in between the pain pills. Also, still using ice on the area and changing/cleaning the drainage a lot. Ate light, protein powder, berries, coconut oil. I am about to try to get some rest. i set the alarm for 6 so that i don't miss a dose of the pain meds.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 06 Oct 2012, 06:29

I would try the squatting position, instead of doing any pushing. My mouth feels better today, but I am still to take the ibuprofen this day which will be the last. I tried to see if AB's "loosen" people up with their digestive system. I need to take less Miralax while taking an AB, it seems. Straining and pushing should not be necessary to have a BM. Try getting on a "normal" schedule to go to the bathroom (maybe in the morning) and then not worry about it the rest of the day. We're going to meet my son's new gf today so I have to finish cleaning and preparing for her this morning. Also, you shouldn't need to push to pass gas. It will come out in due time!
cherylk
VIP