Recent Surgery! Need advice and support!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Recent Surgery! Need advice and support!

Postby richibeno » 08 Oct 2012, 10:56

hi zee how r ya ,yea saw the nurse today to check and repack ,still sore when she was doing it ,but she said it looked ok this was at my gp,s ,am there every day then to the surgens hospital at weekend ,
i think my story is different to Yours i had and abscess burst next to my anas,so i had an op last thursday ev to clean it out ect ,i now have a 3cm x1cmx2cm hole where the abscess was ,the surgen put a seton in because the abscess caused a fistula to help it drain ,surgen said it goes into the internal sphinter but is ok ,so have to get this sorted when i healed from this abscrss op,
how did your fistula start ect
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Ever the Optimist » 08 Oct 2012, 12:27

Hey Zee,
Good to read your updates. Sounds like you are doing well, back on course and doing exactly what you need to do with good time off letting you recover even more quickly! Really great to hear that it's all so positive! Image Keep updating!
Rich - nasty stuff eh? Mine started with an abscess that popped by itself (happened really quickly) and the fistula followed just below the abscess area, nice little hole too (but half the size of yours) and not close to the sphincter, so didn't need the Seton. People do seem to recover from fistulas quite successfully, so it might take a little while to get it sorted but the op is generally quick, successful with high healing rates, so you should be just fine! Keep us updated and ask away....Think me & Zee and a few others on this site have more than enough experience now to help you through this!! :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby richibeno » 09 Oct 2012, 09:18

hey zee ,how did the seton tightening go
have you got a cutting seton in ,where it cut through the internal or external sphincter
richibeno
VIP

Postby Bambi » 09 Oct 2012, 09:54

Yea! Happy for your healing!
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby ZeeZee » 09 Oct 2012, 11:18

Bitter sweet news guys!
=\
The site where Fistula 1 (Apollo 13) was is healing fine, almost closed, tht's the right side..
Whn tightening the Seton, Fistula 2 (Discovery) was indentified on the left side.. Tht was removed yesterday.. It was a much smaller wound and I hope because of this it heals a little faster..
So 34 days post op for Apllo 13 and 1 day post op for Discovery.. Hopefully it is smoother having just been through this.. Not sure if anyone on this site ever had a case like this but tht's my story..
The fasting for GA wreaks havoc with my stomach, it creates a buildup of gas and tht makes me really nauseated afterward.. Tht's the worst part of this entire thng..
I generally have to eat on time or else I feel sick..
Tryng to get back on track and staying positive! Woohoo! Comparing both wounds, Apollo 13 was sized 8 Discovery is sized 4..
Rich, seton tightening went well! How are you healing up?!
ETO, wht's your status?!
Thanks for the kind words Bambi, I'd always be a part of this forum, even whn I heal.. I'll keep checking to see if there is anyone I can help! This Forum has provided me with immense support and I've meet a really interesting and crazy person because of it.. She knws who she is!
All in all, I'll keep you guys updated on the progress!
ZeeZee
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Ever the Optimist » 09 Oct 2012, 11:37

Oh bummer! Image Not what you wanted to hear for sure but boy, that was quick and no messing around from your CRS in getting it all sorted out. Blimey, sorry to hear that really but sure your positive attitude, sense of humour and strength will get you through your extended recovery. It's a blessing it's been found earlier and just dealt with. I've read accounts of where some have developed fistulas later after having an initial fistulomy but not whilst recovering, although I'm sure you're not the exception. I hope someone can chime in there for you...I have updated my status (3 days post Fistulomy) and although things are so much better and also pretty normal, I'm not out the woods yet. There's still discomfort going on down there after BM's and just hoping my EUA (7th Nov) won't reveal anything too awful!!
I'm going to have to fast too as I've an afternoon op but don't suffer too badly like you & I'm always starving after!!! That stuff has some strange effects!!!
Aw, keep updating...Like you, I feel like I'd be losing a part of my life if I came off the forum. It is such tremendous support. Thanks again everyone Image
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby ZeeZee » 09 Oct 2012, 11:42

Well, to be honest, tht Fistula was there before.. It was just 'dormant'.. Like quiet and the size and extent of Apollo 13 made it look normal.. It was there before, pretty sure of it!
Yeah, he didn't waste anytime.. Tht's the best thng.. Get it out of there..
Wht effects do you have after GA?! I hate the after effects tht I have!
ZeeZee
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby richibeno » 09 Oct 2012, 11:45

Hey zee sorry about your discovery hope ' a13 keeps good 'yea I'm not to bad nurse is changing packing every day and says it looks OK only post 5 days for me'but I'm slowley getting around again'eatng better '
So hears to good healing
Last edited by richibeno on 10 Oct 2012, 08:18, edited 1 time in total.
richibeno
VIP

Postby Ever the Optimist » 09 Oct 2012, 11:54

Hi Zee,
I actually feel great after a GA because they tend to put in a local anaesthetic too to numb the area. I find the effects stay in my system for a day or two, which means pretty much NIL discomfort for a couple of days as well as feeling really starving but tired and almost like a "not with it"/ dreamy ("been smoking weed" feeling! - not that I'd know anything about that of course. LOL).....Hope Discovery heals quickly - I imagine they didn't have to put in a seton for this? Was it just deroofed???
Ever the Optimist

Postby richibeno » 10 Oct 2012, 14:43

Hi zee
How are ya hope 13 and discovery are OK and behaving
richibeno
VIP