Just had 2 fissures removed and sphincterotomy today

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Just had 2 fissures removed and sphincterotomy today

Postby marg6043 » 05 Feb 2013, 12:45

ryanman0, as usual soo to the detail that it makes your post read like a diary, you should write medical journal about your life with fissures and the outcome of surgery.
You need to keep this thread updated "always" no matter if you are so healed that you will forget ever having problems with what? fissures? what's that, he, he.
I am happy to read that you are doing well after 4 months and getting better, like you said this is something that will never be forgotten and I think once you have it, life will never be the same no matter how well we are doing after healing.
I have an appointment tomorrow, gave myself two months to see how well I am doing, while I am now in control of my fissure and no otherwise, is still there and no going anywhere, every bowel movement is a ritual in wish everything have to be done perfect to avoid the all day long irritation, pain is now almost gone but the irritation and tenderness is always present.
I will talk about surgery with my doctor tomorrow and see what will come next.
I am worry about having to put a hold to my workout routine as I am an avid zumba dancer and weight (for toning only lifter) I have a very nice on going routine that I would hate having to stop while healing, you know how hard it is to go back into after a long pause, is never easy.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us and keep taking care of yourself.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby ryanman0 » 10 Mar 2013, 10:47

5 month post-op update-
Hello all. I just wanted to check in at 5 months post-op. Everything seems to be going well. However, as usual, I had a time or 2 where I got a little worried.
This concern was because I had a tiny bit of soreness in the area at one point this month. This was due to a bumper car game called whirlyball that I was playing. During a collision, I got thrown to the side pretty hard and my cheeks ended up getting spread apart very hard due to the way I was sitting. Combining this with some thick BMs, watery stool, and extremely heavy workouts (any of which might have possibly been related to any soreness), I felt a little bit of soreness when sitting or using the restroom. This was not a real burning or fissure-like pain. Just some general soreness in the area on the same side where all the surgical work was performed. This was probably a situation where even a person that has never had a fissure would have felt some soreness or irritation under the circumstances. Anyway, this was minor, only at a few times during a day or two, and then it went away.
Also, the area also gets a little irritated sometimes from wiping a lot if I have 3+ BM in a day. I would guess this happens to everyone sometimes. However, it probably happens to me more since I am so super concerned with keeping the are very clean. When this happens, I still have a bottle of that Balneol lotion. I use a tiny bit of that on a cotton pad. That seems to take care of it.
So, everything is going well. Fissure symptoms are gone and quality of life is still not impacted at all from the surgery. Other than making sure I am not straining, watching the dryness/volume/frequency of my BMs, I am back to normal. I am still very glad I had the surgery. If I did not have the surgery, I would probably still have all that scar tissue inflamed in the 2 fissures and still be suffering. I am still hoping that I will never have any more problems with the fissure again. I haven't had to do any straining at all lately. The area has been tolerant of my high fiber veggie rich diet lately. I will try to check in next month again just to verify that I am not having any further issues.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 1

Postby owmybum » 11 Mar 2013, 04:00

Thank you for keeping us posted Ryan. We really appreciate hearing from successful healers.
So glad things are going so well for you!!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby ryanman0 » 04 Apr 2013, 16:24

6 months post-operation update
Hello. I just wanted to post a quick monthly check-in to say that everything is still going well. I had some minor soreness (more like a irritation feeling) one time during the month. So, the area must still not be 100% back to normal. But, as usual, it went away quickly and was never more than just an awareness that the area is still a little tender. Its usually whenever I either have frequent, thick o watery stool that it gets a bit bothered. Its still life back to normal and I'm still so glad I got the surgery 6 months ago.
Thanks again for all the support. I will continue to check in monthly.
Thanks,
Ryan
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby owmybum » 05 Apr 2013, 02:13

Yay!
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum

Postby FLhopeful » 09 Apr 2013, 10:52

Thank you so much for this "diary" ryanman0. I'm going in tomorrow morning for LIS and whatever else needs doing and I'm glad to have such a clear picture of what I can expect. I'm definitely going to be taking all the meds!
FLhopeful
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby ryanman0 » 05 May 2013, 08:52

7 Months Post-op update
I just wanted to check in. I had no issues at all this month. Everything is still going very well!
Thanks,
Ryan
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ryanman0 » 04 Jun 2013, 16:56

8 months Post-op.
Monthly Check-in. No further issues or retears.
I drove 10 hours in a car last week twice. I had used the restroom a lot before the trip. During the end of the trip, I found myself shifting my weight a couple of times since the area felt a bit irritated due to all of the sitting. Just to clarify, this wasn't any pain at all. Its just the first time in a couple of months that I felt anything at all. It was just like an awareness of the area being a bit more sensitive.
I'm not sure if this sensitivity is due to scar tissue or if its that the area is not fully 100% healed yet. Either way, I'm not concerned since I have had no more pain, bleeding, tears, or any other issues. Other than that, I never really feel anything odd in the area any more. I'm just wondering if the area might simply remain a bit more sensitive forever or if time will clear that up.
So, everything is still going very good.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby owmybum » 07 Jun 2013, 03:00

Thanks for dropping in and updating us Ryan.... It's very much appreciated!!!
I'm glad to hear you are still doing well!!
OMB xxx
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum

Postby ryanman0 » 08 Jul 2013, 00:40

9 month post-op
Area got a little irritated for a couple of days during this month. There was no bleeding, just quite a bit of discomfort while walking or sitting. The cause of this irritation was my own fault. I had to use the restroom and I was working on something on the computer. Instead of getting up to go to the restroom, I was trying to finish what I was working on. All of a sudden, I realized that I had waited too long. I got up to try to rush to the bathroom. I felt the pressure building up and I thought that I wasn't going to make it. So, instead of having an accident, I strained very hard to hold it in while I walked very slowly to the bathroom. All of this straining led to the area bothering me a bit for the next two days. However, there was no severe pain and no bleeding.
Anyway, I feel fine now and don't think any damage was done. However, looking back, I should have just had the accident instead of risking any complications. I was at home, so it wouldn't have really mattered much. Its funny how once you start to heal, you become more relaxed with such things and tend to forget the severity and importance of it all. Its so easy to get caught up in something that you are working on and forget such things. However, I still make sure I never strain when using the bathroom. That part has become a habit by now.
I've also started going fully back to eating a lot (10-20 servings per day) of non-starchy veggies for my diet. The reason for this is that I lost a lot of weight before on such a diet. Using 5-8 servings of veggies a day has me stuck at my current weight for about a year now. So, I'm trying to go back to the same diet that allowed me to lose the weight initially (which I mentioned in a previous post). Such a large amount of veggies do provide excessive fiber. This fiber keeps me going to the bathroom a lot and has been problematic in the past due to the fissures I had. However, now that I suspect I am almost fully healed, I'm going back to this again. So far, no problems from this. I'll continue to be cautious and keep an eye out for any pain as I continue to eat tons of non-starchy veggies.
So, everything feels like it is doing fine except for the two days mentioned above. I'll post again next month. Hopefully, I'll keep doing well.
ryanman0
Proctosphincteranalogist