LIS surgery today, after years of indecision

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: LIS surgery today, after years of indecision

Postby marg6043 » 02 Mar 2013, 17:18

Tash, don't worry, you are just 3 days from your surgery this is the time when the area is very raw and irritated because is trying to heal.
Things are going to get better, get your medication as doctor oders and just relax, it takes time to heal and you want it to be right.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby enough is enough » 02 Mar 2013, 20:04

Tash, I see *huge* improvements in my healing, 2 weeks +1 day out from surgery. BMs don't hurt, and it's been several days since I've had even the slightest bleeding. I've experiences only the vaguest of aches at the incision site, and they are short-lived and mild. The winning combo for me has been 1 or 2 doses of Citrucel per day, taking a Colace morning and evening, and eating a normal healthy diet (nothing too spicy or extreme yet). Hang in there, you will heal! :D
enough is enough
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby toomuch » 03 Mar 2013, 10:59

I am going in tomorrow and feel so sick and worried about it all. I am worried that the pain will be awful and what do I do if it doesn't work. Having put up with this pain for so so long, I am worried about making things worse. I am very tearful and nobody understands, they just say that it will all be better soon. I have 3 days before I will have to sort out the school runs etc as hubbie is off until weds and am worried that I wont be in a position to drive the car to get the kids to school. I am not one to moan or take to my bed, I just cope but I am terrified.
toomuch
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby enough is enough » 03 Mar 2013, 11:55

Hi toomuch - I've just read through your 4 posts to get a better idea of your story. We're practically twins. Trust me, I know how scared you feel anticipating LIS, because I suffered AF pain for 20 years or more, and saw my first CRS at least 7 years ago before deciding enough is enough (hence, my user name :) ). But I really think you are doing the right thing. You've put up with this nonsense long enough.
I had my LIS on 2/15/13. Please read my other posts. It was outpatient surgery; the procedure itself (per my CRS) takes about 4 minutes. My husband and I were away from home a total of 3 hours that day, and I took 5 days off from work (the last one really should have been called "vacation.") I'm not one to opt for surgery lightly, or say it's the first line of defense for anyone. I've used enough Nifedipene cream for a small army, and went for years thinking "I'll just cope." I've never had kids, so my AFs didn't result from childbirth - just good old too-tight muscle tone combined with constipation, resulting in the endless hamster wheel of chronic re-fissuring. Pain wears us down - I felt like it was carving grooves in my brain, and affecting my job performance and my marriage. I'm 59 years old - and one day, I just thought "I'm too old for this s**t!!!
I was just as embarrassed as you've been; I probably watched the exact same online videos you did, and ended up totally freaked out. Everyone'e experience is different, and I'm not going to promise you won't feel any post-LIS pain. What I can tell you is that I was really surprised by the vast difference between what I'd built up in my mind, and the reality of the thing. My post-surgical pain was quite manageable - I took 5 narcotic pain pills, then switched to over-the-counter - and the dreaded first few BMs weren't nearly as bad as I'd feared.
Four children and three jobs? Good Lord, you have your hands full! Take all the time you need to heal, and ask for help. As for the embarrassment of talking about it - my explanation was something along the lines of "I've had a minor surgical procedure, and I won't be at work or driving my car for a few days." That's really all anyone needs to know.
Image All best wishes, and post again if you have any questions. I have to work today (Sunday), but will check the board as I can.
enough is enough
Fibre Addict

Postby Tash » 03 Mar 2013, 13:47

Image Thanks you guys, I have hope that I will start feeling better soon. today is day 4 post op and was able to go out for a little bit with the family. That was nice , tired of laying in bed I was so used to doing so much but this past year I have not been able to do 1/2 the things I used too.
Too much, I know exactly how you feel. I just got to the point where I couldn't take it anymore and I felt like I had no choice and needed to do the surgery. No going to lie I also think what if it dosnt work but I try to tell myself not going to worry about that right now. In my case my CRS told my husband after my surgery that my muscle was so tight that it would not have lossened up on its own.I keep reminding myself I did the right thing.I was embarrassed too at first about what to tell people also but then I said what the hell who cares what people think so when they ask me I tell the I having rectal surgery and can be laid up for a few weeks and everyone was very supportive and said you poor thing for having to go through all this even though most people really don't know much about this kind of surgery but they know enough to know where it's located it's has to be painful. I had offers from people to pick up my kids from school if I needed and has called to check on me since I had the surgery. I'm sure if you are not feeling better in time someone will step up to help. I wish you all the best tomorrow. Please keep us posted how your surgery went.
P.s. the day before my surgery I kept saying in so many hours I will be on the other side of this. It really is a relief one the surgery is over just because you made the decision and that part is over!
Tash
Fibre Addict

Postby delasama » 03 Mar 2013, 15:11

I hope y'all have a speedy healing process after surgery.
I will be praying. I'm glad you have people offering to help you with kids.
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby marg6043 » 03 Mar 2013, 17:02

toomuch open a thread on your surgery so we can support you during your recovery we also can learn from your experience specially those of us that are still considering LIS, other that have the surgery already can guide you.
I wish you a fast and speedy recovery.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Hatetopoop » 03 Jan 2014, 12:31

OMG that is awesome to hear Fibre Addict. I have had ENOUGH of this fissure and tag pain that I can bear. I am in terrible pain RIGHT NOW and this has been sheer HELL. Going to the surgeon on Tuesday to see when we can schedule my LIS surgery. Cannot wait..but TERRIFIED, so it's great to hear you are doing ok. Lots of rest and painkillers...soft foods I can do that! The problem is now I cannot take anything stronger than advil and that barely takes the edge off if at all and I still have to work at a desk. Sitting is a problem, driving a car, and sometimes even laying down. So I have had enough of this---will post updates later.
Hatetopoop
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14