Surrendering to the Knife

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Surrendering to the Knife

Postby owmybum » 08 Mar 2013, 13:10

I'm glad it's all over and done with for you coconut.
I always wake up crying after a general... I don't know why, and shivering too.
Keep taking those painkillers to make recovery as smooth as possible
OMB xxxxxx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby coconut » 08 Mar 2013, 14:24

My body just does not want to give up that first poop. I want to get the packing out of my butt! I wondering if I should take a bath, even with the packing still there. Maybe it will stimulate the colon. But I don't want to have a wet packing down there for hours if I don't poop. Its like a poop Kobayashi Maru test.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby tojo78 » 08 Mar 2013, 14:34

It can take a couple of days for the first BM to happen. The painkillers tend to back people up. Are you taking stool softeners like Miralax? That stuff tends to help offset the constipation caused by the pain killers. Drinking water helps too. The warm baths could help relax everything down there so its worth a shot. I'd definitely recommend taking the warm baths after BMs once they start again. It helps keep everything clean and is a natural way to help knock out the pain.
Don't get too anxious about your first poop, it will come!
tojo78
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby coconut » 08 Mar 2013, 16:13

The doctor has me on docolax, fiber supplements, milk of magnesia and prune juice. I'm taking Miralax because that's what I was doing pre-surgery. I'm a little worried that its too much, but the doctor had a clear protocol for the day after surgery to follow until you get that first poop. I'm supposed to take magnesium citrate now, but I don't have any of that on hand, and I'm worried that this is all too much.
I did take a bath. Wonderful! I just removed as much dressing as I could.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby PIA » 08 Mar 2013, 18:49

I think too much is far better to make the first BMs as easy to pass as possible. You have had a big change to your digestive system with fasting, the surgery, the constipating pain killers and just a change in general. After my bowel prep this week, I took Movicol as soon as I got home and stayed on super soft stuff till the bowel started moving again. I increased from once daily to twice daily for first three days. I did not need to take the pain killers but if I had I would have taken a laxative with them. They can make your stools like bricks even with stool softeners but you need to take them to make the first BMS as comfortable as possible. Keep drinking heaps of water. Good luck and great to see you are on the right side of waving your fissure goodbye.xxx Pia
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby coconut » 08 Mar 2013, 18:56

I can walk to the store to get the magnesium citrate, but I'm still walking a bit funny. I have magnesium sulfate here already. I could just take another dose of Milk of magnesia. Not sure what to do. I wish I was back in Vermont where they have pharmacies that deliver.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby PIA » 08 Mar 2013, 19:37

A walk will do you good. Help to get things moving.
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby coconut » 08 Mar 2013, 20:53

Yah. I decided to go to the store to get the citrate. The walk was fine. Very slow but it felt great to get some fresh air. I had the whole bottle of magnesium citrate. It tastes like you're drinking a whole bottle of cough syrup. Nasty! Still no poop. Its supposed to work between 1/2 hour and 6 hours. I could be up with diarrhea at 3 in the morning. Thank goodness I don't have to work for a couple of days.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Luka » 08 Mar 2013, 22:26

Thank you for posting your experience with surgery. It's very helpful for us who might consider lis in the future. Sorry if you already said it, but how long did you have your fissure before getting lis and how much pain did you have?
I really hope you feel better soon. Best wishes for a smooth and speedy recovery!
January 2013 - Diagnosed with fissure. Eventually turned chronic.
History of IBS and anxiety disorder, along with fear of using bathrooms other than my own caused it.
Tried Diltiazem, but eventually developed a rash.
LIS surgery scheduled August 26th.
Luka
VIP

Topics: 38

Postby coconut » 09 Mar 2013, 01:10

Luka - I've had this fissure for 6 months. I first injured myself during a bout of constipation brought on by binge eating. At first, i had two fissures. On New Years day, I had diarrhea brought on by a migraine. One fissure healed. That seemed to make the other fissure much worse - my best guess is that the scar from the healed fissure put more pressure on the other, because that's when things got really bad with this one. Its been just over two months of "really bad." I was having pain that was a 10 out of 10. Just to give you a sense of how bad that is for me, I was laying in bed crying and I almost blacked out once or twice. Once I started Miralax, I kept the pain down to a 5 or 6. It interrupted my life, but no rolling on the bed crying. I made the decision to go with surgery because there was no evidence that I was healing. I was in less pain because I made my stool softer.
This is also my second incidence of fissure. I had one 4 years ago. I healed that one by switching to a vegan diet.
I decided to go with surgery because a) I developed a reaction to every cream that the doctor's gave me. b) I had gone through a couple of alternative modalities, too. c) my diet had honestly been great for months and that hadn't created a change like it did the first time I had a fissure. d) my doctor's estimation that the muscle of the sphincter was exposed and that this made chances for a non-surgical recovery slim. e) the chances of another fissure developing in the future are significantly reduced with the surgery. (Not that I plan on bingeing again, but still...)
Last edited by coconut on 09 Mar 2013, 01:15, edited 2 times in total.
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist