At least I know whats wrong now

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

At least I know whats wrong now

Postby guiness » 26 Mar 2013, 08:04

So I just had a freaking colonoscopy yesterday. Im trying to be hopeful about this, but goddamn this hurts. At least I know whats wrong because I haven't known for sure until I had this done because nobody could see anything and I was using hemmeroid meds which are all wrong and weren't working. So what did me in was a weekend of too much drinking alcohol like I was 21 again, fried foods and lots of meat and fast food all in the same week. I should never have done that, and never will again. I have had symptoms for several months. If i had known what I had, I would have made dietary changes much earlier and would not be literally off my ass right now.
Last thursday, after 3 white russians and a beer, pizza the night before, I ended up with pain radiating from my butt down my leg, to the left side of my abdoment while at work, and I was like, I am so glad I have a Drs appointment for the colonoscopy Monday. So Sunday I started with the prep and it was ok, but made me sore, but not excruciating. The colonoscopy was painless, I just woke up and I was like "what am I doing here" lol. I had no idea of anything happening. I was sore for the rest of the day. The soreness is a lot less than yesterday. So get the colonoscopy, just tell them you are in pain and they will be careful. Anyways, I took some paperwork to get signed so I could have off for the procedure, and since I was in so much pain I asked for the rest of the week off. The nurses kind of laughed at me like "you need the rest of the week off?" but I was like, yeah I am in so much freakin pain, cant eat, ect ect. So I don't have to go back to work this week. I am in a lot less pain today than I was yesterday, so I'm going to take the week to adopt some healthier eating habits which I should have done way back when the symptoms all started. So I kinda feel its partly my own bad lifestyle choices combined with the fact that maybe I am a little tight in the muscles down there and combined together it led to a tear. This sucks but its not cancer. Its just a pain in the ass! Here's the funny part too: the colonoscopy center gives you a print out with pictures of what they find, with a diagram of your intestine. lol. the thing is: if I hadn't gone to the doctor for the colonoscopy, I would not have gotten the time off work so I can sit in the bathtub, eat lightly and healthy and heal.
guiness
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Re: At least I know whats wrong now

Postby marg6043 » 26 Mar 2013, 08:39

Guiness, did the colonoscopy shows what is causing the pain? I mean did the doctor told you that is a fissure?
And yes, you have to change your diet, for the better, hard to do if you are used to a style of eating, but no imposible.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby 3 years now » 26 Mar 2013, 08:41

what was the official diagnosis following the colonoscopy? Did they say it was a fissure?
3 years now
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby guiness » 26 Mar 2013, 08:59

Yes, it was definately a fissure. They even took a picture and showed me. I have no other tummy problems. I was given the colonoscopy for rectal bleeding, itching and anemia. The anemia is probably just from diet, not from the fissure. It never bled that much but the Dr. wanted to make sure I didn't have polyps because I have chronic constipation for some time (possibly a symptom of polyps)....which I should have payed attention to better.
guiness
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby marg6043 » 26 Mar 2013, 09:40

guiness, great that you got your doctor proper diagnostic now you need to start the healing process of your fissure.
If he prescribed a cream that is the one important step, then you have to keep your stools soft and easy to pass with fiber, sadly you may have to do some changes to what you are use to eat but doing slowly as this will be for life.
Before a BM is good to lubricate to avoid irritation later Vaseline is great for that, the creams for fissure will ease the spams but you will still have irritation.
Is many post and threads here that gives good advice of what it works for some.
I hope your fissure heals fast and naturally without surgery.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Jackmaniac » 01 Apr 2013, 11:00

I'm curious, after your colonoscopy did they say you had any inflammation around the fissure area ?
I'm still in denial of them telling me that they didn't see a fissure and instead IBD.
Jackmaniac
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby guiness » 01 Apr 2013, 14:10

There was inflammation... You could see the area was red. However, the rest of me is pink... No problems. My colonoscopy center gave me pictures of everything. They went all the way to my ileum, what ever that is. I would really trust their diagnosis but you may be developing a fissure or itching if there is blood. The first time i went to the doc she did not see a fissure but i had plenty of symptoms before and after the first dr visit but the fissure wasnt detected until the colonoscopy. If i had known i was developing a fissure, i would have taken preventative measures. Get another opinion if u need to.
guiness
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby guiness » 01 Apr 2013, 14:12

I think i may have a bit of irritable bowel syndrome, contributing to constipation which led to the fissure.
guiness
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Jackmaniac » 01 Apr 2013, 17:39

I got pictures too, but they went all the way to my appendix. My cecum was much more red than my rectum, but the major of my colon was clear. But they way that he described it confuses me cause he said the rectum had 'abnormal vascularity' but I can't seem to find an explanation of what that means online. I imagine I'll get a call sometime this week about my biopsies.
I hate to admit it though, but I do feel a lot better on day two of the anti-inflammatory meds. Although I had been slowly getting better before that, but I realized that the diet good for fissures is also very anti-inflammatory.
At least a fissure is cureable. IDB's are not :(
Jackmaniac
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby guiness » 02 Apr 2013, 07:41

Hopefully curable...at least i made it back to work today. Last week i thought i would be on disability for months the way i felt.
guiness
Proctosphincteranalogist