I can't live like this anymore.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

I can't live like this anymore.

Postby Kreaybutt » 29 Jul 2013, 09:30

Hey everyone. I haven't been on here for awhile. Been traveling, feeling fine, eating great (healthy) food. Well for the past week I've went from having diarreah for a couple days to huge BM's, haven't changed my diet at all really. I have oatmeal with fruit every morning, whole wheat bagel or whole wheat English muffin with all natural peanut butter and fruit for lunch and usually some type of chicken and veggies for dinner. I don't whats causing my BM's to be so crazy. I also take mirilax every night before bed. For the past week my bum has been SO tight, like all day. There's no pain or uncomfortableness, just very tight especially during BM's. I live in fear every single day of what tomorrow holds for me. I'm afraid of food, though I still eat well and often (I need to stay healthy and I need the calories to nurse my daughter.) I was taking nifedipine until i ran out about a month ago. im picking up my prescription in a bit actually. Today I think I've ripped again. :( I hate this pattern, I've been healed for two months and now I'm back to square one. I honestly can not live like this anymore. I want my life back. So, I'm considering having surgery. I've come here to ask the woman who have gone through LIS or fissurectomy how your outcome has been? Was it worth it? Do yoi feel like youve gotten your life back? I know there are tons of threads about it but I would like to talk to some of you on a more personal level. It's so hard not having anyone to truly understand how hard this is and how much it affects our daily life. Thank you for reading and for any help! I hope you're all on the road to healing or have *already gotten there.
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 30

Re: I can't live like this anymore.

Postby splinterboy1984 » 29 Jul 2013, 15:13

Kreaybutt we all understand what you are going through, ive been dealing with this cycle for three years now. Just remember this...there is a cure for this either through natural healing or surgery...things wont always be like this. People deal with much worse things like cancer and come out strong. we can do this. Hang in there. you can do it.
splinterboy1984
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Savaici » 30 Jul 2013, 08:03

There are quite a few posts, Kreaybutt, on the Lis surgery forum for you to read. Choose the ones with plenty of posts, as that usually means that the person came back and wrote of their recovery. The trouble is, many people, once healed, leave this forum (and who can blame them...). Possibly there are a few women on here who can give you some advice. I have not had the LIS surgery, so can't advise you there, but I can understand that with experiencing the pain and nursing your baby, it must be difficult. Many people have had LIS and sailed through, that much I know.
All the best, and hope you feel better soon. Image 
Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Guest » 30 Jul 2013, 09:59

Hi Kreaybutt:
Nice to see your back looking for more answers. Sorry its taking you longer than expected to heal. While your waiting for more one on one responses this should give you a start. at the bottom there is a toll free number where you can perhaps gain valuable insight and or comfort.
” LIS has a high success rate, 90 to 95%;"
colonandrectalsurgeons.com/crsli/AnalFissure.html
"Lateral internal sphincterotomy has a better success rate than any medicine that is used to treat long-term anal fissures."
healthlinkbc.ca/kb/content/special/uf4813.html
"LIS failure rates are currently reported as less than 5 percent according to Dr. Michael Mulholland"
ehow.com/list_5793325_complications-lis-surgery.html
Kreeabutt still concerned...call this toll free number to discuss those cocerns.
Call our team of highly skilled surgeons to discuss whether a lateral internal sphincterotomy is right for you. Call us today at (888) 512-2312 or fill out our online contact form.
fissuresurgerymd.com/anal-fissures/lateral-internal-sphincteromy
HTH GL

Postby Kreaybutt » 30 Jul 2013, 19:39

Buttastic, thank you for that! :))
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Karinann » 31 Jul 2013, 09:42

Hi Kreaybutt: I had LIS surgery on June 26, 2013. I posted a brief diary of my experience here in this forum topic. Overall, I would say I'm feeling a lot better than pre surgery. My first exposure to anal fissures occurred almost 25 years ago and at that time surgery was not an option. I can't remember specific things or treatments from that time, but I did manage to heal and had been fissure free for 25 years. Back in April of this year I had an extremely hard BM which opened a fissure. I don't know if it might have been the original site or somewhere new. My CRS told me there definitely was a fissure there pre-surgery examination. Then after the surgery in the recovery room she told me that she found two fissures. I still have a few questions for her on my 6 week follow up visit next week. I notice that you have a good diet regimen. My down fall following surgery was not having soft BMs as my diet was all messed up. What goes in comes out. I'm gradually learning and changing my diet to keep my BMs soft. It has been the key to pain free healing. So from the perspective of what it takes to maintain soft BMs I see from your posts that you are on the right track. The decision to do surgery is a very personal thing, but the overwhelming census is that it's effectiveness is very good in healing anal fissures. Permanent change of my eating habits and diet will be the hardest thing for me to accomplish going forward. I sense you will have a much easier task in this regard. If you can think of any specific questions I'd be more than happy to answer. Good luck and happy healing. Karin
Karinann
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby Kreaybutt » 05 Aug 2013, 08:28

Thank you karinann! Changing my diet has been the hardest for me too. I LOVE food. It seriously makes me happy "/ lol I atill try to get my sweets fix by making healthier snacks/desserts. I'm so happy you are feeling better and decided to dj the surgery! I'm going to think of some questions I've had and get back to you, thank u for replying!
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sue27uk » 13 Aug 2013, 13:25

I hope you manage to get the answers you need. I had a fissurotomy in July 2012 and to be honest I haven't had great results. I had a fissure which healed but with a tract underneath it causing a fistula. I suppose I am not the best advert. Mostly things have much improved in the area though, I am having problems in a different area now and scheduled for the opening of a fistula, and they are examining me too at the same time so not sure what else they are doing. I would say write your questions down and have someone with you to listen to the answers as sometimes you may not take everything in. Be specific with your questions, and give them all the detail you can so they get the entire picture. Good luck with whatever you choose and let us know how you get on. If you have any questions I can try and answer!! I am somewhat of a veteran with this lot now after 2 and a half years. I still ive in hope though. It really took it out of me emotionally but I am much more positive now Image
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby omyrear » 18 Aug 2013, 08:48

Kreaybutt - I just had LIS on August 15th (3 days ago) and already feel great. You can read my separate post about it, but to answer your questions: yes, it was definitely worth it and I already feel like I've gotten my life back. I was also at that point of "I can't live like this anymore" and had to do something. Things can certainly change at any time with my recovery & I could have a complication, but at this point, I am SO glad I did it. Good luck to you in whatever you decide!
omyrear
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Kreaybutt » 18 Aug 2013, 09:22

Omyrear, I am SO glad to hear how great your feeling! I have a few questions for you if you don't mind. We're you having painful BM's prior to surgery? Are they still painful? How was your diet pre surgery? We're you taking a laxative? Sorry for 21 questions! lol how long did you suffer from your af?
Kreaybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist