Prepare for surgery

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Re: Prepare for surgery

Postby rebornbutt » 18 Jul 2013, 08:57

Hi Kathy,
So did your colorectal surgeon spoke to you on how to deal with the seton in the future? My recovery seems ok, no pain on day 1 until now. But still abit of clear pinkish liquid discharge still. Don't worry about BM because it will be like your usual BM.
I've learned my lesson well this time not to allow any prolong constipation to happen in the future. I've never heard of fistula ever in my life until now. Never knew that constipation could result in such a chronic and troublesome conditions. I am also investing in a bidet to wash my bum after every BM, I believe that it is worth it considering the kind of trouble we are going through. I hope that everyone here heals well and take more time in cleaning up after every BM to prevent all these troubles.
rebornbutt
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby kkmark » 18 Jul 2013, 09:15

Hey reborn
Yes he did explain abt seton that it would fall off but I have to go for follow up to get it tighten for few times. I have gas but no BM yet hope I get it today just want to get of the weird feeling of first BM I have sitz bath where I can put it on toilet seat n wash after BM which I used to do when I had my abcess surgery...
Reborn how ru sitting or sleep my right bum hurts bad...
Thanks
Kathy
kkmark
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby rebornbutt » 18 Jul 2013, 10:15

Hi Kathy,
I think they have installed a cutting seton on your fistula. I've alot of gas on the 2nd day as well. Remember not to strain on your BM. I took guava, prunes and bananas to have easy bowel movements. Just dun strain on BM. Finish and go off immediately.
My bum does not hurt at all. From the 1st day, I was playing on my computer 1 hour after doing my surgery. My colorectal surgeon uses laser to cut so I do not know whether that helps in the pain reduction?
rebornbutt
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 18 Jul 2013, 14:20

Hi Kathy,:) 
Really pleased to read your surgery went well and you are back in the comfort of your own home.
Everything will be a bit uncomfortable for the first few days, that's totally normal. Just try to keep full pressure off the area for a while even if it means spending most of your time lying on your more comfortable side. Just get as comfortable as you can - lying on your stomach should be fine. I found lying on my back with the pressure off my bottom and my knees up quite comfortable too. If you can walk around a bit, that's excellent for promoting the blood flow to help heal the area.
For breakfast, porridge/ oatmeal/ weetabix is excellent and a bit of brown toast is good. Eat some fruit or bio yogurt with it too and lots of fruit juice/ herbal teas.
If you feel any pain, take pain killers and if you find passing stools hurts at all, take a pain killer a while before the BM to numb any discomfort. Just take it easy, rest and make yourself comfortable for the first 2-3 days, after that things will hopefully begin to feel better for you and you'll start to develop a routine. Just be patient with your healing and things will improve by the week! I know the Seton may take a little getting used to but it will be only temporary and hopefully you will get an appointment through for your next check-up with that.
Reborn - Constipation needs to be avoided at all costs for sure, even without a fistula because it can do a lot of damage! - I had a chronic fissure too and that is even worse than a fistula in my opinion because it's a lot more painful and takes a lot longer to heal! Given the "choice" I know which one I'd go for out of the two!!....Unfortunately, it's not constipation that actually causes a fistula but generally the abscess, which is caused by bacteria-filled anal glands. (amongst other reasons) My CRS advised me that if there is no underlying cause (such as an immune deficiency disease/ intestinal disease & inflamation etc.) then it can be simply bad luck!!! I'm even more meticulous in my post-BM cleaning these days than ever, now I'm aware of this fact!!
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby kkmark » 18 Jul 2013, 16:42

Ever the optimist
Thank you yes I am trying to take it easy as u said I am sitting on my left bum it hurts but will try not o put pressure on my right side where the cut is. The worry is still don't have BM yet so little bit worried I have apt with crs next week hope by then will be feeling better.
kkmark
Salt Bather

Postby rebornbutt » 18 Jul 2013, 22:27

Hi Ever the Optimist,
We are the unlucky ones that have to learn the hard lessons for getting ourselves constipated. Alot of people are having constipation but they are still unaware of all these complications. According to my doctor, I was told that constipation will cause hard stools abraising the rectal walls. And if we continue to ignore it, soon a fissure will be created. And if we are unlucky enough, the stools will infect the opening and cause an infection of the glands. That becomes an abscess and goes on to become a fistula. I've learned my lessons well this time.
rebornbutt
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 19 Jul 2013, 03:45

Reborn,
Always interesting to read up on different advice provided by our CRS'! Yes, it's certainly been an eye opener and the learning curve is huge!!....It's hard to say whether we have been the unlucky or actually the lucky ones though......Unlucky because yes, we have suffered! but lucky, because at least, we get the wake-up call and are able to address the issue and take better care of ourselves.
Kathy, Hope you are feeling OK today??? Try not to stress about the BM too much - It will come when it's ready and it will be OK. Just drink lots of fluids and eat soft in the meantime. You take care, keep resting the best you can.........
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby rebornbutt » 19 Jul 2013, 07:06

Ever the Optimist,
I did remember that back in oct 2010. I was having constipation. Had a BM one day and saw a big patch of blood on my wet tissue while doing clean up. I checked the butt and found no cuts or scratches. So it must have been some tear inside the rectal wall. Never care or pay attention to it and continued being constipated. Until Jun 2011 an abscess came out beside the anus. Constipation is deadly.
rebornbutt
Salt Bather

Postby kkmark » 19 Jul 2013, 11:20

Reborn
Yes I would just pray no one should Go through what we r gng thru now I always tell my hubby not to push n he says he doesn't.
Ever the optimist
I had my first BM n it's not that painful as I took pain killer after my breakfast. I am feeling better no pain yet which I am glad.
Reborn n ever the optimist you have been both so awesome helping me in this process. N my hubby he is so awesome helping with me in this process..
Reborn hope ur recovering ok n taking it slow I know ur daredevil just kidding :) but plz take care
Thank guys will keep you updated
Kathy
kkmark
Salt Bather

Postby rebornbutt » 19 Jul 2013, 12:17

Hi kathy,
Glad to hear that you are ok. This is a horrible disease and I hope no one will have to go through this. I've been telling my friends and colleagues to take care of their butt hygiene (wash after BM) and to prevent having constipation. Take a good rest now and update us on the improvements.
rebornbutt
Salt Bather