Prepare for surgery

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Re: Prepare for surgery

Postby kkmark » 19 Jul 2013, 19:31

Hi thanks guys
How did u keep the area dry after I urinate i need to clean up but still didn't want to touch the area should I just use hair dryer with cool temp having sitz bath2-3 times a day. Is that more than enough. I m having soup salad just light for 3-4 days. I don't want to see the area yet I am scare to look at it any advice guys
Reborn you right after what we went thru should tell others definitely.
Will update u more guys
Thanks
Kathy
kkmark
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby rebornbutt » 19 Jul 2013, 21:40

Hi Kathy,
Get a clean soft sponge and dap on it lightly. Wash the sponge with clean water and let it dry so that it can be reuse.
rebornbutt
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Ever the Optimist » 20 Jul 2013, 01:39

Hi Kathy,
Great to read your BM was OK and went well!! LOL.
Once you get the first one out of the way, you realise it's not so bad after all!
I just used to pat-dry the area very gently with a towel.
I did try the hair dryer thing a couple of times but to be honest, it didn't feel right and I found it a bit of a hassle! After urinating, I just used tissue as normal (in the vaginal area)
Soups & salads are great! - You can gradually start to add a little more bulk in as you start to feel more confident ( By bulk, I mean a little wholemeal bread/ a little brown rice/ some chicken etc...whatever works for you) Just be sure to ensure you are eating a balanced diet to ensure you are still maintaining your daily intake of all the required Vits & Minerals, as these are also needed to help your body heal well.....When you feel well enough, I would also advise you get up and move around more too. A gentle walk is really helpful for increasing blood flow & helping the healing and it's also a great help in keeping BM's smooth & regular.
You don't need to look at the area until you feel ready to do so. I did so out of plain curiosity! but it was OK. Yes, there was a kind of dark red hole/ groove there, but as time passed, it began to look less red and more pink & normal...
You can take that step when you feel brave enough to do so.
Yes! Eek - Constipation! - Every time my six year old sits on the toilet and starts to pull faces, I very quickly remind her not to strain and just to let everything come out naturally!! Bless her, I try not to be OTT about it as I don't want to create any issues but I do monitor her eating, drinking & toilet habits pretty closely these days!
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby kkmark » 20 Jul 2013, 18:29

Reborn thanks wow sponge does it not hurt even if u dab it right now using toilet paper n then using hair dryer to dry a little better will try the sponge as per ur suggestion.
ETO I am adding more to my food I didn't have my second BM today so that one more concern my stomach is full but can't go n i am feeling hungry too weird :) probably will check my area tomm before my follow up still don't have pain a little uncomfortable hopefully I am healing ok
Thanks guys
Kathy
kkmark
Salt Bather

Postby Savaici » 20 Jul 2013, 19:29

Personally, I would be careful about reusing a sponge. Something that I use, (I have not had any surgery) are Johnson & Johnson sterile gauze pads, which I wet and dab with. A bit expensive, but I like the fact that they are sterile.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby kkmark » 20 Jul 2013, 20:31

Savaici
Thank you I am using toilet paper and gauze pad for the yellowish leakage. When did u have ur surgery how ru doing hope everything went well today is my 4 day
Thank you
Kathy
kkmark
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 21 Jul 2013, 15:01

Hi Kathy,
Great to read you are doing so well and nothing is all that painful for you too.
It might be after eating so lightly that you are actually hungry! especially if you are moving around more now.
Your BMs are not always regular when you eat particularly lightly because there just isn't enough bulk in your system to expel stools well & sufficiently each time. It's probably a good thing now to start increasing quantity and adding more solid stuff rather than just having soups & salads.
Sav has a really good point with reusing the same sponge too. You do have a risk of causing infection this way, so sterile is good. I personally used a gentle shower head on the area after a BM to ensure everything was cleaned up nicely and I also feel so much fresher this way. I used to dab the wound very gently with moist tissue paper/ wipes to clean up the discharge intermittently. :) 
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby kkmark » 21 Jul 2013, 18:54

Hey ETO today was the worst had constipation couldn't go n I want to clear it out OmG  it as not pretty today sorry for being so detailed but some of fecas was stuck and I want to go I had to push so hard didn't want but had to clear BM have to call my crs tomm hopefully thr was tear not sure why it happened had salads colace didn't work properly so started miralax n prune juice what do u suggest now I am scared to eat or drink anything. I am scared now so much.
Hope tomm will not be this hell
Thanks guys any tips will help as noe I am scared to go have my BM.
kkmark
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 22 Jul 2013, 01:17

Hi Kathy,
Miralax and prunes are both good, so keep up with those.
Don't worry too much about having a more difficult BM - that can happen for all sorts of reasons other than diet (period/ medication etc. etc.....) Just be sure to keep eating with adequate fibre in your diet but don't overdo it and make sure you are drinking LOTS of water at the moment, especially if it's really hot right now. I'm surprised at how much I have had to adjust my water intake here in the UK at the moment as we're having a major heatwave. Try not to push too much if this happens - just do what you can and stop, clean up and leave things a little while and above all, try not to worry and panic - Stress will make you much more tense and it will be less easy to pass stools. Please try and relax a little and tell yourself it will be better next time. If you're not, try and walk now for a while because that really helps get things moving more smoothly too.
You're doing really well, so please just try to stay calm about it all. It'll be OK! Start eating wholemeal toast/ brown rice with chicken or fish maybe, a jacket potato with beans - things that are more substantial and filling but BM friendly too. Apple puree is also great for smooth BM's! One of my favourites along with rice & beans :) 
Ever the Optimist

Postby rebornbutt » 22 Jul 2013, 02:06

Hi Kathy,
My daily diet to ensure enough soft stools to expel.
Guava, bananas, prunes.
Prunes are the most potent. Just 5 pieces is enough to send me running to the toilet. And the stools are soft too.
rebornbutt
Salt Bather

Topics: 5