Prepare for surgery

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Prepare for surgery

Postby kkmark » 12 Jul 2013, 08:59

Hi Guys
I am so glad i found this website i logged in last week. Need help and support from all you guys My fistulotomy is scheduled for Jul 17 my CRS told that it might be fistulotomy with seton he just have to decide on that day if its with seton or just regular fistulotomy.
Anyone with seton. i am scared tensed about the surgery. Please help me prepare for my surgery what should i do before surgery dr's office already gave me instructions about what to do evening before the surgery. But mentally i need help from u guys. And what food did u eat after surgery and how many days were you off work
Any input will help me
thanks guys
Kathy
kkmark
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Re: Prepare for surgery

Postby Ever the Optimist » 12 Jul 2013, 18:22

Kathy,
Please don't be scared Image
You really are on your way to getting this nasty thing sorted once & for all - honestly.
Everybody has some anxiety over their surgery - that's normal but a few months after it's done, you will be SO happy you had it done.
You really don't need to make a big deal out of the procedure. Continue to eat and drink normally & use your stool softener to keep your stools nice and soft right up to the time when you are advised you need to stop in preparation for the op. This is just to ensure your stomach is completely empty once given the general anaesthetic and to ensure you are not sick because of it. You will have an examination to determine whether a seton is needed or not whilst asleep because it is the only way your CRS will be able to determine the course of surgery once they are able to get a really good look inside your bottom.
If they decide you do not need the seton, they will more than likely simply "deroof" the fistula tract to drain it & allow it to heal from the inside out. If you need a seton, it will be placed into the tract to allow the fistula to drain fully by keeping it open and you will be fully advised on your outcome afterwards and whether further action will be required or not. A seton is generally placed if the fistula interacts with your internal sphincter muscle and although, some people feel some discomfort in initially getting used to them being there, it will only help in the healing of the fistula. Both procedures are very straightforward and take around 20 minutes!........
You will feel whoozy when you come round after the GA, you might be a bit disorientated and you certainly can't drive, so arrange a lift! Hopefully, you will feel less pain for a few hours, maybe the whole day after, because of the anaesthetic. They generally also use a local in the area too.
Your greatest fear will be your first BM, - I had no issues with this, although I had all the fears!. I ate a full meal straight after my morning op because I was starving & a light meal in the evening (chunky vegetable soup & wholemeal toast) & drank lots of fluids. I basically resumed my normal pattern straightaway but ensured I rested too and put my feet up for a couple of days after. My first BM was nice & soft and was not a problem.
Day 2 I felt more discomfort as the GA wore off, but not enough to warrant pain killers even. If you are in more pain or uncomfortable, take Ibruprofen as soon as you get up to get on top of that pain and not when you start to feel it.
Of course, the first week or two is uncomfortable, not particularly painful but that's normal stuff....
You will probably have some bleeding for a day or two, maybe a little longer but this is normal too and I'd recommend just using a light pad to deal with that. Depending on the fistula, you may have little or a lot of pus discharge as it drains - again this is totally normal and it could take anything between a few days to a few weeks for this to completely clear out.
In the meantime, just keep nice and clean with regular baths/ sitz baths - I always used a shower head because I felt really clean after using this, also the pressure from the water on that area, "stretched" the wound a little, which your CRS may recommend you do to promote proper healing. Don't apply anything externally (creams etc.) on the wound area as it heals because you don't want to risk infection. It needs to remain clean & dry - A gauze or pad may make you feel better if you are continuing to discharge pus still........
As the weeks progress, you will start to feel better and better. I would recommend taking 2 weeks off work, more than anything so you can deal with cleaning-up and tending to the wound. I went back to work 8 days after my op because I felt well enough to do so and I could drive OK.
My fistula took 2 months to heal externally (so I could no longer see the wound) and at about 6 months, I could feel nothing from the area. Any internal aches etc. had disappeared. It was completely gone. Now I would never have known I had one!!
Fistula recovery is generally very straightforward and complete recovery highly successful, so be positive! You will get through it all.......
For the first couple of weeks after the surgery, just focus on soft BM's so as not to put any additional pressure on the wound, drink lots and rest! Hot baths are relaxing too....If you've any fears, always chat to your GP for constant reassurance or call your CRS........
Someone will always be here I'm sure to help you with any more questions and mentally support you through the process! Wishing you all the very best and hoping everything goes well for you. Keep us updated!! :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby kkmark » 12 Jul 2013, 19:36

Hey ever the optimist
Thank you so much for the detailed information. As you said I guess my scare is before surgery and more with first BM postop. I am so happy for you that you are all healed up and doing great. I am ready to put this behind me and not worry about the pain. I sometimes use Miralax.  Do you suggest any other stool softeners?  I am so glad I found this website and all of you supporting me. Have to get the guts and get it done.  I took off from work for 3 days as my surgery is wed, I think at least by Monday I am hoping to feel comfortable or I might just take the whole week off :)I will keep posting till my surgery just to keep the pressure off for my surgery. Thank you ever the optimist....
kkmark
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 13 Jul 2013, 15:30

Hi Kathy,
Personally I always used Lactulose as a stool softener but it seems the majority of people here use movicol/ miralax and rate it highly. I also used to take a large tablespoon of Olive Oil every night additionally.
Now, I take a 250mg Magnesium capsule every night before I go to bed and that has been fantastic for me in keeping my BM's nice & soft. It's kind of experimenting a little to see what really works for you.
I would just say take as much time off as you can - you will probably feel better than you think but it's the after BM care that takes a little longer after the op and it's nice to be in your home environment with the luxury of your own bathroom! A soft pillow is also really helpful for when you first drive & start sitting again. Donut cushions are not necessarily the best option.
Wanting to start a family is a great incentive to get it all over with and you will be so glad you did it! :) 
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby kkmark » 13 Jul 2013, 18:23

Hey ever the optimist
Thank you how long it's been for you now healed n happy i am so happy for u when I had abscess the is hole left open which sometimes have pus after my BM. After fistulotomy is thr opening left do we have to live with it. I will take ur advice n try olive oil never tried that before. I eat rice sometimes should i stopeating that completely any suggestions what to eat the first day after surgery :) Ever the optimist thank u so much for all the input I am feeling much better after reading ur answers. Plz keep me in loop I will message u everyday thank once again.
kkmark
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 14 Jul 2013, 04:33

Hi Kathy,
I had my op at the end of June last year (just a couple of weeks ago this time last year!) By November/ December, it was completely gone. What you have right now is exactly what I had pre-op - the hole with the intermittant pus that comes, goes, fills up and starts pussing all over again. It's horrid. The surgeon will cut out the whole area, drain it of all the pus and then it will be left to heal naturally. As it heals that area will look like a "groove" shape, which will initially be a little sore and red but as new skin grows, it will start to look more fleshy coloured again and it will fill back in to look completely normal again! You will not have an opening or a hole - it will be pretty much exactly like it was before you even had it! You will be amazed after having lived with it for so long that you will be "normal" again. It takes about 2-3 months for it to look like this again after the op and a few more months for all the "internal" type sensations to completely disappear. Your pussing might take a little longer to completely drain because you've had your fistula a while.....That will be normal.
The main thing with your diet is just to keep your stools nice & soft so you don't have to strain when you go the toilet in any way - BROWN rice is actually great for producing nice soft stools but I wouldn't eat white because this is more binding. Some foods that work for me are: Apples (especially pureed) prunes/ apriciots/ nectarines/ melon/ grapes, all fruits, steamed veggies (especially broccoli/ spinach/ carrots/ sweet potatoes/ swedes)/ beans/ jacket & skinned potatoes/ soups/ always brown foods (pasta/ rice/ bread etc) not white/ salads/ chicken/ turkey/ fish. I would especially stick to the above for a few weeks after surgery. First day after surgery, I think I ate oatmeal porridge or bran flakes with bio yogurt/ chicken/ veggie soup/ wholemeal toast/ something from the above - maybe a jacket potato with lots of beans, a little cheese and some salad bits & fruit & probably some chocolate too!.......It's essential to also drink loads of fluids - water, camomile, peppermint teas - I am a big fan of apple juice (not from Concentrate) and OJ too (with the bits) Always drink a large glass of water after every meal you eat - that's a great tip.
Don't eat "heavy" meals (steak & chips etc.) just good quantities of lighter foods - a large chicken salad for eg. or a nice piece of steamed fish with lots of veggies & new potatoes etc..... only for a few weeks until you have healed a bit more..........
I hope this helps you. I really think once you have got through the surgery, you will be so pleasantly surprised with the results once you start getting back to normal again!! Just ask away...............Image
Ever the Optimist

Postby kkmark » 14 Jul 2013, 18:30

Hey ever the optimist thank I think I am still having that surgery gitters have 2more days to go n I will be done with my surgery. I love all the food u mentioned I will try to add more brown rice into my diet. I have to take 2enemas 2hrs before surgery have to find out if its suppository or saline....
Thank u I will keep u updated...
Kathy
kkmark
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 15 Jul 2013, 00:57

Hey Kathy......
Only two days but then it will all be over and you will have a short while being a little uncomfortable (but nothing really major) and then you will be better again to start your family! Stay positive! It's all going to be OK! xx Are you in the UK or overseas????
Ever the Optimist

Postby kkmark » 15 Jul 2013, 10:45

Hey Ever the optimist
I am basically from India but right now live in US. My sis lives in UK. i am planning to eat light for these 2 days have to wake up @4 on the day of surgery probably will not sleep that day bcoz of anxiety i guess :)
Thank you for all the encouragement i guess u right once its done i will be on the way to recovery and healthy life :)
Kathy
kkmark
Salt Bather

Postby rebornbutt » 15 Jul 2013, 11:09

kathy. have u look at my thread? just relax and go for it. i just went today for a surgery and it is painless. i think i did not have GA because i was talking like a politician throughout the whole surgery. doc told me to contest for the coming election.
rebornbutt
Salt Bather

Topics: 5