Rachael 1984 LIS Diary

LIS Recovery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Rachael 1984 LIS Diary

Postby Rachael 1984 » 21 Sep 2014, 02:14

Hi everyone,
Thankyou so much for your kind words....

Scientist that link for the smoothies is great. I'll be doing one today. I had a lovely chicken casserole yesterday with carrot,Butternut squash,new potatoes and chicken. I added some rice too for extra nutrition. I do make soups, but seen as my partner has been doing the cooking, he's been doing things he can cook! I normally plan my weekly menu and have everything planned and cooked from scratch. He's been good really, doing me fissure friendly things, but very basic things like chicken,Rice, jacket potatoes and porridge. It's been hard not doing anything and letting him take control!

Ms, I still have the weird gas falling out feeling.... When I have gas it feels like it's a BM sometimes, which is getting me a bit paranoid and I keep checking I haven't leaked (which I haven't) had a bit day after op, but that's it.

Day 4.

Can I actually say it..... There was no pain on BM. The BM did exit quite quickly, which scared me, but nothing..... A throb afterwards which was sorted with my bath. Now again, just sore and itchy. I don't want to jinx anything and it's early days, but I think I'm going in the right direction. I'm scared of infection, so I'm not giving up the baths for a few weeks yet.

I'm praying to God each night. Xx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Alyssa » 21 Sep 2014, 02:32

Yeah!!! To no pain.. Keep up the healing.
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Postby Scientist2516 » 21 Sep 2014, 12:23

Oh hooray to no pain!

And to letting your partner have control in the kitchen - I can totally relate, ha ha, but it's a great thing - embrace it!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby woundedspirit » 21 Sep 2014, 21:37

Soooo good to hear! :fants: That is a really really good sign!
Hemorrhoid Surgery
Scar Tissue
2 Anal Fissures
Failure of All Topical Treatments
Failed LIS
[size=85]EUA and Fissurectomy
Hoping to avoid Flap Surgery
woundedspirit
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Rachael 1984 » 22 Sep 2014, 03:49

Thankyou xxxxxx

Day 5 post surgery

No pain on BM, some irritation afterwards, straight into sitz bath. Unfortunately another BM a few hours later, a throb at the incision site and another bath. More irritation and soreness now. What I've got to remember is my stools are soft and the right consistency, just some days I go once and some twice. The incision site seems to itch and throb. The pain is different and it's not as debilitating as fissure pain, more annoying. It's hard to sit down fully without rubbing on the area, so I'm just lying or sitting on my side.

I've got up today and moved around more.... My throat is feeling better and I'm sure my energy levels are up a bit.

Last night I had a bit if gas again which is producing a tiny bit of leakage. Nothing much really, just need to dab it off with a cotton pad. I'm continuing to rest, but also move a bit to get blood flow. I'm really scared still in a morning and I know I'm still anxious before I go the toilet. It won't leave me and I think I'm going to need therapy for the damage this has done to me over the past few years........

Praying xxxx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Rachael 1984

Postby Jbl22424 » 22 Sep 2014, 23:05

You are doing so well! Great to hear it.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Rachael 1984 » 23 Sep 2014, 02:22

Hi all, Thanks.

JBL, did you get throbbing from the incision? It lasted all day yesterday and it got a bit much near the end go the day... I broke down! Don't know why!? I think because I'd had a good few days, it really got to me.... Increased pain is a worry and I'm just terrified of anything going wrong.
:naughty:
Day 6

No pain on BM, just a throb and I showered instead of bathing, I think the water soaking isn't helping. My BM was a little too loose, need to ease up on the fibre, and maybe a little on the Movicol. I really don't want the runs.

Is it normal to still have good and bad days?
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Rachael 1984

Postby sugarspice » 23 Sep 2014, 12:45

Hi lovely Rach,

Throbbing near incision site is totally normal, you have a cut there and then you poo near it, enough said LOL. I had soreness around incision site for a week or more. I am STILL having sitz baths after a BM, and that's 3 months on, I don't have any pain at all, but I think better safe than sorry! They all have salt in them as well, not too sure why CRS said no salt, but you should listen to him I guess.

No wonder you broke down, you are mentally and physically exhausted from the whole experience, you have suffered a long, long time, so it is TOTALLY normal. My suggestion would be get yourself a good drama series that you like to take your mind off it :-) Like LOST or Breaking Bad. One of the ones that really gets you engrossed. That way you can stop thinking about your bum for a while and take a few deep breaths.

You are doing AMAZINGLY! LIS is an amazing thing, but don't expect to have no pain at all in the first couple of weeks.

Hope this helps lovey xxx
sugarspice
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby msimon » 23 Sep 2014, 17:07

Rachael, I have not had LIS but based on the dozens of threads I have read on here it sounds like your progress is going quite well. I would think throbbing is normal as long as it doesn't feel really hot or anything (which may indicate infection). A papercut will even throb if you put something irritating in it. The painless BMs is HUGE progress. Yay for you! I am jealous ;)

What are you taking for pain meds? Maybe you need something stronger so you can at least relax?

Are you still experiencing leakage? It may well be just seepage from the wound. My CRS indicated that would happen for some time after the surgery. I guess at this stage it's difficult to tell if it is fecal matter or wound drainage...

As I am considering LIS this is a huge concern for me.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Jbl22424 » 24 Sep 2014, 00:42

I don't Recall if I had pain from the incision site but I know I had pain for a week after LIS. Let me add Fargo and True Detective to SS's recommendations! Breaking Bad is great for killing time though, I watched all seasons while on maternity leave. :)

I might be going for my next LIS soon so it's good to hear about your experience. Oddly the most pain I remember from recovery was when my muscle would involuntarily contract to hold in gas. That was this absolute worst!
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9