Rachael 1984 LIS Diary

LIS Recovery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Rachael 1984 LIS Diary

Postby Carolineandy1 » 02 Oct 2014, 10:01

Hi, I was worried about you! Glad you are better today. :D I was great yesterday, no pain from site I thought whoohoo turned a corner. Today square one again. I feel like,I've been kicked up the back side again. Stools are soft, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Really tired and depressed with this now xxx
Fissure +9 Years
GTN mixed results
LIS 18.9.14
Carolineandy1
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby msimon » 02 Oct 2014, 18:26

Rachael, what are you using for pain meds? I just got back from a second surgical consult and this Guy mentioned that with me he would be concerned about neuropathic pain from doing surgery on me. I have that concern too and given my experience with trying to tough it out with the hemorrhoidectomy surgery I have years ago I would not do that again. The research seems to indicate that this can set up a chronic pain/sensitization situation and if I get surgery I am definitely going to take lots of pain killers to try to avoid that (I almost never take pain meds now). I just wanted to mention this in case you were trying to be too tough about it ;)
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Rachael 1984 » 03 Oct 2014, 05:08

Hi M,

I am taking Naproxen 500mg. My doc doesn't want to give me anything that could constipate. They work a bit, but sometimes if the pain is bad, they don't get to it totally. The pain is form the incision and it feels like my muscle is crying out!
I have been relaxing a lot more too, as being in a stressed state won't help(sometimes I can't help it though). Thankyou that is really helpful. The new CRS sounds like he's on the ball!

Day 16

2 Painfree BMs. Showered after both and then relaxed back in bed. Some soreness at incision.
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Rachael 1984 » 05 Oct 2014, 02:43

Day 18

2 Painfree BMs.... I'm finding there isn't much discomfort during BM and I can slightly feel the incision only. Showering and drying with the hair drier. I'm getting irritated on the second BM. The incision is still stingy and sore.
Yesterday there was a new sensation, itching all around my bum and I could feel both the incision and fissure itching like mad.... Couldn't stop it, very annoying. Also feels tingly and numb? Then the muscle throbs a bit.............

I'm going to call my CRS secretary on Monday and get some reassurance. I'm worried about the incision site, I think it may not have progressed in healing. I don't really know what's normal and I'm only 2.5 weeks out from LIS,so suppose it's early days. I want to have a look, I could see some brusing up there and everything looks sore. I don't mess too much, don't want to hurt anything. When I wake up I feel almost normal. When my BM is approaching, I also feel the incision nip a little. I think I'm going to be a slow healer.
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Rachael 1984

Postby Carolineandy1 » 05 Oct 2014, 03:45

Rachael I think you are on the right track. I sometimes get itching too. Itching can be a sign that it is healing. It still is early days. It's a difficult and slow healing area. Go and get it checked out, at least it will put your mind at ease which I think even though you may have pain in your bottom, it can be your head driving you crazy. :smilyhug:
Fissure +9 Years
GTN mixed results
LIS 18.9.14
Carolineandy1
Salt Bather

Postby Rachael 1984 » 07 Oct 2014, 02:42

Thanks Caroilne,

Day 20

Unfortunately 3 BMs this morning which has made me sore..... God knows what's happened. They were all soft but even 2 BMs irritates the incision somewhat. I'm wondering if I don't need as much Movicol now as my diet is probably doing most of the work to soften the stool. Maybe I'm overdoing it with everything together.... Unless it's the pain medication? This is a difficult one. I'd had an improvement over the last few days. My BM isn't painful, it's just the incision afterwards. I'll try and take one Movicol later instead of the 1.5 sachet.... I just don't want a hard stool!

Can anyone advise? I was having less BMs prior to surgery, now I can't stop pooping. It's like everything is in shock!
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Rachael 1984

Postby Rachael 1984 » 07 Oct 2014, 03:51

CRS secretary called me back.... He's not worried, normal to be still having incision pain only 3 weeks out. Made me feel less anxious. She's booking my follow up in Nov.

I hate toilets of any description! Maybe when I'm healed I'll bash the one I have in this house down with a hammer and start with a new one! Oh god I'm insane!
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Rachael 1984

Postby Carolineandy1 » 07 Oct 2014, 04:28

Good news Rachael. :goodnews: glad it's put your mind at ease.

I know exactly what you mean about the toilet. I hate my bathroom too and want to smash it up.
Fissure +9 Years
GTN mixed results
LIS 18.9.14
Carolineandy1
Salt Bather

Postby Roidsfizzman » 07 Oct 2014, 15:07

Hi Rachael,
It looks like you are doing really well for 20 days. The incision site is often the last area to heal. Be very careful when pulling the cheeks apart to check the incision, or you can cause the incision area to bleed and delay the healing. I speak from experience as I caused my incision to bleed when checking. I was told by my doctor to not look at the area, but I cheated once and awhile as I had to see what it looked like, but after I caused the area to bleed I stopped looking.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby sotiredofthis » 07 Oct 2014, 19:17

How much is in a 1.5 sachet of Movicol? I know you have IBS and maybe that's too much? Were you taking that much before and did it bother you then? I know with my IBS sometimes I just can't win and something I do today won't work tomorrow.

I'm so happy your bms aren't painful!!!!!
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33