SELF-DILATION

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: self dilation

Postby tiredofpain » 11 Mar 2012, 16:18

Tanya and baba, you guys crack me up.... Too funny..atleast we get to laugh about AF here...WOW 30 minutes that is progress.. What size was it :D
TP
tiredofpain
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Baba » 11 Mar 2012, 16:29

It was the smallest one - about one inch at it's widest I think.
You know laughter is the best medicine as they say - one day something funny happened and I was laughing hard, then noticed that the spasm had stopped.
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby tiredofpain » 11 Mar 2012, 16:51

one inch is real progress baba! Right now I cannot even use my finger to apply any ointment there.. Will be ordering some tools soon....
TP
tiredofpain
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby workingonit » 13 Mar 2012, 10:58

Hey there,
Well there was a cancellation with my second opinion crs yesterday, so I got to see him several months sooner than planned. Yeah!
Not much help really though, but somewhat reassuring.
I asked him about self dilation and he thought it would work as a kind of massage. He also said it would be good for spasms.
He didn't think much of controlled dilation. He said it's not really controlled, as it involves tearing of the anal muscle, but there's no guaranteeing where the tearing will happen.
This seems to fly in the face of the studies I've read. So I can't say as I agree with him on that one. But at least he knew about it and had read up on it.
So I will try to find a private moment later ; )
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Savaici » 13 Mar 2012, 11:14

WOW!! Tanya!!! So glad that the doctor said that self-dilation might help. I have been so terrified to do it, as am fearful of yet more pain. And have not got the 'stuff' to use on it yet (in fact have not ordered anything). Oh dear, more procrastination...
I really don't think that they (CRS in general) have studied S.A.D. so they are only relating the old fashioned Lord's dilation. To me having a cut made in the muscle is also a risk, and does virtually the same thing as dilation; it cuts the muscle of the internal sphincter to allow the fissure to heal.
S.A.D., as I have understood it, is not supposed to tear the muscle (unless I have got it wrong) but only stretch it so the fissure can heal. I know that I am preaching to the converted here, so to speak, but do they really read the research these doctors...
Did the CRS have any suggestions, apart from give the dilation a try?
Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Savaici » 13 Mar 2012, 11:40

Thought I would start my notes here on my self-dilation! Just did it!!
I have the brand called Dilitan, and used the 18mm, with organic olive oil. Tried the kneeling forward first, and just let it go in a little to relax. Then moved onto my side and let it go in a little more. Must admit I am a little in trepidation, but am prepared to give it a try.
I did not use the sitz bath this morning. Have quite gone off it as it seems to increase my spasms.
A little unrelaxed in myself now, but no pain. Am going to go very slowly with this, but hoping so for the best.
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby workingonit » 13 Mar 2012, 11:43

Hey Sav,
Actually he was talking about SAD. I think what it does is tear the muscle like a lot of small tears. Like the way Rolfing (The super deep massage) actually makes tiny tears to muscles. That's why it is a more permanent stretch than just dilating at home.
His argument was that with LIS you know where the cut/tear is being made.
I think you are right that most CRSs are thinking Lord's finger stretch. But even so. In an experienced doctors' hands it still sounds preferable to LIS. IMO.
I wrote about all he said under my CRS said SOL topic.
He said that my sphincter muscle is fine and not in danger of incontinence if I ever did need LIS, but figured the fissure could still heal on it's own.
He said he's be happy to do botox if I decide I want to try it. It's kinda a big song and dance to do botox here in Canada. I need to buy the stuff myself at the drugstore (call and arrange for it beforehand) and take it to him to inject before it's been out of the fridge for more than 2 hours. Costs 3-$400 which is not covered by provincial healthcare.
I would not hesitate to spend that much, if I thought it would help. So it is something I shall think about.
My first crs will probably offer the same if I see him again. I'm not sure which I would trust more. I guess I like the new guy better, but the old one has a more convenient location with a drugstore just downstairs.
I was debating whether to see him again, but I guess I will just to ask him the details about botox. How many injections, infection at the needle sites, where inject it... etc.
Anyways, I am scared to try it too, but he seemed to think it could do no harm, as I myself would be doing it and would know when to back off.
I think it is one of those things you just have to start in very small steps like jr is doing.
oh yah, the one thing that cheered me up was in his experience, anterior or posterior makes no difference in healing times.
-Tanya
p.s. just read your next post. Yeah!! you go girl!
workingonit
VIP

Postby Baba » 13 Mar 2012, 23:03

workingonit wrote:Hey there,
I asked him about self dilation and he thought it would work as a kind of massage. He also said it would be good for spasms.
He didn't think much of controlled dilation. He said it's not really controlled, as it involves tearing of the anal muscle, but there's no guaranteeing where the tearing will happen.
This seems to fly in the face of the studies I've read. So I can't say as I agree with him on that one. But at least he knew about it and had read up on it.
So I will try to find a private moment later ; )
-Tanya

I don't agree either. Self dilation is more than just massage - for my anus is definitely looser. My music is in a lower key :D and my bms are wider than they used to be. I'm using the next bigger size now.
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Baba » 13 Mar 2012, 23:08

savaici, if you don't have the "tools" it is helpful to just gently massage with a gloved lubricated little finger and when that goes in easy use a fatter finger. Massaging the sphincter that way is helpful in relieving spasms, at least I've found it so. :)
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby workingonit » 14 Mar 2012, 09:02

Thanks for the info about the wider BMs Baba!
I was wondering how long it would take for that to happen with dilation and it is good to know it doesn't take that long at all!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP