SELF-DILATION

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: self dilation

Postby Val76 » 21 Feb 2012, 07:27

Thank you for the site, jr2...I think when it is heated it will be easier probably....
Val76
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Guest » 21 Feb 2012, 09:41

Val...
Also, if you soak in a warm bath first, it helps. And then, while you are trying insertion, just rest the dilator gently on the outside without trying to insert it at all. And practice deep breathing way deep into your abdomen. You'll start to notice that with the dilator just resting on the outside and doing your deep breathing that you can very slowly and very gently begin to insert. If you feel any pain, just stop where you are and breathe deeply again. The key is to be very slow and patient. You need to set aside a lot of time with no interruptions. Soft music or silence. Absolutely no rushing. And no pressure to get it in any further than you feel comfortable with each time. Each time it gets a little easier.

Postby Savaici » 21 Feb 2012, 13:20

Hi everyone,
I think I am going to go with the cmt ones and will get on with ordering them tomorrow.
Another question, and that is whether you said anything to your doctor (as it says on the site) before starting to use them?
And yet another question. I have been trying to locate on the net, just how much length of the anal sphincter there is into the rectum. Not been able to figure it out, whether it is just inside the anus, or whether it is spread quite a way into the rectum??
I have had a few days of bad pain, then today is better. Last night I used the tiny nozzle that came with some rectal cream, in my rear, and today it was a little easier to have a BM! I think it was just luck, but possibly it relieved just the smallest amount of pressure.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Guest » 21 Feb 2012, 14:00

Hi Savaici!
So glad to hear things were a little easier! Celebrating the small victories is important :)
The anal canal is between 2.5 and 4 cm long depending on the individual. If you use your finger gently you can feel where the internal sphincter begins by inserting your finger just a little way in.
Oh, and I did talk to my doctor's nurse and she of course warned me that I could aggravate my fissures by trying this, but overall had no problem with the idea of my trying it if I want to. I see my GI doc tomorrow and see what he says.

Postby Savaici » 21 Feb 2012, 19:56

Will be great to hear what your GI doc says about it tomorrow. I am unfortunate in that where I live there is a dearth of doctors for AFs, and such. In fact there no GI doctors, and of course no CRS. It took almost six months of having this to actually have someone examine me, and he was a general surgeon.
My one fear in using the dilator is that I have a lot of scar tissue from previous surgery and I might have problems because of this, but will go very slowly with it all. So tired of it all. Tired. Of not being able to eat a decent meal, sit down comfortably and spending a large portion of my day in a prone position. As so many say on here, I want my life back!
Savaici
Administrator

Postby workingonit » 21 Feb 2012, 20:57

That magic bee stuff that jr is using says it is good for softening scar tissue. Perhaps it would be a good lubricant because of that?
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby tiredofpain » 01 Mar 2012, 11:25

I Just came accross this topic after posting a topic on AD!!! Anyone who has tried the self dialation, how is it going so far ? TP
tiredofpain
Salt Bather

Postby Savaici » 06 Mar 2012, 12:23

Just got my two of the smallest Dilatan dilators today - the 18mm and the 20mm.
I see that jr2 is now only a guest, so hope that is a good sign and she succeeded with the dilation!
How are you doing reckless? Would love to hear. We know that wecc is doing well, but would like to know how the 'self' ones are doing too.
I am getting closer and closer to going to NY, though have not got as far as an appointment, as have to have a couple of other things done pre this.
Anyway, do let us know, all who are doing this.
Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Postby Baba » 06 Mar 2012, 12:53

I am making good progress with self dilation. For those worried about other scar tissue "up there" I have scar tissue from my very first BIG fissure and I can feel it as I stretch so have to go very slow. I can now slowly push the smallest one all the way in. Last night after relaxing on bed with the dilator all the way in for about 10 min, I tried the next size and it went in about half way when I felt it couldn't go farther. I'm still doing olive oil, coconut oil and water syringe when necessary and I've had very little pain for the last 10 days or so. Sometimes I still get mild spasms, but they are nothing like they used to be. I'm so thankful that I learned about this method as a trip to find a CRS would take us 300 miles from home, as well as dealing with our long wait times.
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby tiredofpain » 06 Mar 2012, 15:51

Wow ! That is some good news!... Keep up posted on the progress !
Was your fissure completely healed when you tried the dilatation first ?
TP
tiredofpain
Salt Bather