SELF-DILATION

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: self dilation

Postby Baba » 06 Mar 2012, 16:46

No, my fissure was trying to heal, but nowhere near healed when I started the dilation. It still isn't completely healed now - the other day I was putting up a coconut oil suppository and it went in at an odd angel and Ouch! my fissure let me know it was still right there. My Bms have been pain free though.
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Savaici » 06 Mar 2012, 19:55

Wonderful to hear your progress, Baba Image Just gives me some hope. I am going to just give it a try and see how it goes. I can hardly remember a time without pain, or eating a good meal (sounds pathetic, but it's true!), so feel I have nothing to lose in the trying.
I notice, now I have the two dilators, that they also have some cream that they sell to lubricate them...think maybe I will try the organic olive oil I have, but order some of their cream anyway. Next step is trying it all out!
Just so glad it's working for you. Do keep your update going and so will I.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Baba » 06 Mar 2012, 20:31

That's what I thought - nothing to lose. Yes, you do need to be well lubricated. I squirt olive oil up before and after warming up the dilator I smear vaseline on it. It's also good to have a warm relaxing sitz bath before, and listen to relaxing music. I hope it works for you Image
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby workingonit » 10 Mar 2012, 17:03

I thought this might be good to post here.
I am working up my courage to start dilating after the spring break (when I will have more privacy Image ).
Just tired of feeling almost healed and then I don't know what! more tension?, ate something? (doubt it), hormones? (maybe). Image
It feels re-torn again (although no blood this time).
Anyways, got the tools, got the lubes....
http://www.mademan.com/mm/how-use-rectal-dilators.html
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Baba » 10 Mar 2012, 18:48

Hi Tanya,
I wonder do you have any food allergies, any people with celiac disease in your family? They will get fissures sooner than the rest of the population. Sometimes skin problems are the only symptom they have. A simple blood test will show if you have gluten problems.
I've been having good success with the self dilation. I did have a bit of a setback today - I have been using olive oil as a lubricant, but today I left the dilator in too long and the olive oil was all absorbed, so there was some irritation. I'm hoping it is not too serious. I've been having pain free bms for a couple of weeks now. The sphincter seems to have a memory though, so there are still some daily mild spasms. I remember that from my earlier fissures also, there were always mild spasms after the fissure seemed to be healed over.
Anyway I hope it works for you.
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby workingonit » 10 Mar 2012, 19:18

Hi Baba,
No i was tested for celiac when I had some throat issues from ativan withdrawal last year. I seem fine with gluten too. Thank you so much for your concern! :)
I think i was just tighter yesterday and so was more sore from my BM. Today I tried a little massage for my anus with coconut oil on my pinky and it absorbs too quick too.
It was real tight to get the darn finger in and even worse getting it out. So it seems pretty obvious that I am just too tight.
Have you tried adding some vitamin E oil to the olive oil like the people on the yahoo forum do?
I got this stuff sweet blessed bee magic in the mail yesterday, and thought I'd use it as a lubricant. I am currently testing it on my lips to make sure it won't irritate and see how long it stays before being absorbed. So far it has been a couple hours and can still feel it coating my lips.
http://sweetbeemagic.com/about_bee_magic.html
Not sure when I'll get the privacy to use it with the smallest dilator. Our bathroom is too small to lie down in and my 9 year old would just come bang on the door anyways. Image
Maybe this is too personal, but I know the skin and muscle have a memory as after my episiotomy they sewed me up too tight (thought they were doing me a favour!). So if my hubby and I aren't intimate often enough, I'll notice i've 'tightened up' and have to proceed with caution. stupid doctors.
I do wonder about my anemia and what factor that has and does play in all this. I can feel myself getting better, iron levels returning to normal, less tired and cold. So I'm hoping that will help the fissure too.
But it won't change the fact that I've gotten pretty tight down there from the stress of it all.
Sorry you had a wee setback today. Do you think your diabetes plays a role in healing times??
I was reading that honey is good for healing wounds with diabetics. Maybe the bee cream would be good for you too? It is easier to find in the States. Here in Canada I had to pay more for shipping and import duty than for the darn cream itself!
That's fabulous that you are having pain free BMs! Ahh the little things in life! :D
Hope we both have better days tomorrow!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby tiredofpain » 11 Mar 2012, 09:49

baba and workingonit,
I have been doing a lot research on AD and came across an old study.. AD seems to also help hemmies!. This was news to me. Thought I would share...
wonder why all theses studies are being ignored...
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1438823/pdf/jrsocmed00261-0056.pdf&sa=U&ei=g8dcT_idA8rM2AXZzpnQDg&ved=0CCsQFjAJ&usg=AFQjCNEPFf9KEIrzTqQK7SSEKtBblhs04g
tiredofpain
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby tiredofpain » 11 Mar 2012, 09:52

one more thing to add, the study also talks about benefits of self dilation. TP
tiredofpain
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby workingonit » 11 Mar 2012, 10:33

thanks TP,
interesting read. The article I posted a few posts back about how to self dilate, was meant for people suffering from hemorrhoids.
It doesn't seem widely known that tight sphincters can cause hemmies too. It makes sense when you think about it though. There was a lady on the forum who healed after she healed her hemmies, just a few weeks ago.
I always thought docs were being smart asses when they referred to it as the Lord's stretch! I didn't realize it was named after a doctor named Lord! LOL :D
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby Baba » 11 Mar 2012, 15:51

Tanya, thanks for the link to that sweetbeemagic. That sounds like good stuff. No I don't think the diabetes affects the fissure as I control blood glucose very well. I did use Vit E oil in the olive oil today and that does make the olive oil "greasier", so I think I'll go with that for a while.
BTW I started my first dilation sessions perched on the toilet. That worked fine at first 'cause it didn't go in far anyway, but now I get it all the way in and it's nicer to lay on bed and relax. The other evening I fell asleep - the thing was in place for at least 30 min.
TP, thanks for that interesting link. I had that stretch done years ago, but the benefits did not last, my doc didn't send me home with a dilator to maintain it. Now I understand why it didn't last. I never had any incontinence from it either. Tightass me Image
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist