SELF-DILATION

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: self dilation

Postby Guest » 01 Feb 2012, 12:23

reckless...
Just wondering if you've tried this yet... I got brave, figuring my pain is about as bad as it's ever been so why not... Gave it a try with the smallest dilator at 15 mm... While it gave me a little soreness afterward, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be...

Postby workingonit » 01 Feb 2012, 15:41

I was reading that using a dilator can relieve the cramping.
Here's where I read it in an all too brief blurb;
http://vienna-doctor.com/ENG/Articles_ENG/proctology_explained.pdf
I still plan to do this. I am just hoping to heal first...
But it is something I would definitely try before an LIS.
I need to order the dilators. Which kind did you get JR?
Would you recommend them? (there's a question I never thought I'd ask someome! lol) :D
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Guest » 01 Feb 2012, 16:21

I ended up buying the ones for vaginal dilation off the vaginismus.com site. I really did it so I could start with the smallest size available at 15 mm ... They are very well made and very easy to use. I may still end up trying the Dilatan ones since they have the ability to be heated with warm water before you use them, and they maintain the heat in order to help the muscle relax. Those are more expensive though because they have only two sizes in a kit and you might have to purchase more than one kit. The vaginal ones have a range of sizes all in one kit for one price. I also prefer the sort of tapered candle shape of either the vaginal ones or the dilatan ones over the shape of rectal dilators you see sold on sex sites.
Sheesh.. I know... The things fissures do to us... We know each other by our stool consistency, lube habits, laxative preferences, dilator gear, etc. lolololol

Postby workingonit » 04 Feb 2012, 21:46

Hey There,
So I was chatting with people on the Yahoo Anal Fissures group about anal dilation, and there are a couple people there who have had success with it.
One lady dilates now that she is healed to prevent re-injury, but also another guy used it to heal himself. If you read his post, please note that he only did it very gradually and just using the smaller sizes until he did heal.
SO anyways, here's his reply to my query.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/analfissure/message/48447
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby workingonit » 10 Feb 2012, 18:41

If you look at the 'files' section of the yahoo anal fissure group, there is a doc about self dilation and 4 people who have had success with it.
I am still not sure it is right for me. but pretty sure I would give it a go before surgery or flying to long island for SAD.
I actually ordered an anal dilator kit two days ago. I had to go to a very embarrassing website as amazon won't mail it to Canada. something about extreme restraints! lol! :D
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby Val76 » 19 Feb 2012, 07:19

After I did the AD in Germany the CRS also recommended to do it by myself in home for 2 months more...but only did it twice as I am always really afraid to do it, pnly get a cramb when I am thinking about it....but would maybe try the dilator that is used with hot water....where I can order it ?
Val76
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Guest » 19 Feb 2012, 11:11

Hi Val...
Dilatan dilators are made with a gel core designed to either be heated or cooled...
http://www.cmtmedical.com/shop/customer/search.php?substring=Dilatan

Postby Savaici » 20 Feb 2012, 13:53

Just wondered if anyone is actually doing the self-dilation, and how it is going?? Would love to hear.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Baba » 20 Feb 2012, 16:02

savaici wrote:Just wondered if anyone is actually doing the self-dilation, and how it is going?? Would love to hear.

I'm doing it - very slowly. I do labor breathing exercises and slowly push the smallest dilator in as far as it will go comfortably and stop immediately if I feel discomfort. It only goes in half way so far. It is working, my Bms are less painful and spasms are less. I've been at it for nearly a week now and I have to say that I've had more good days then bad days during that time :D
I just had to try this as there was such narrowing from all the spasms I had that a soft BM would still feel like I was trying to pass a big log.
I had a dilation done in the hospital some years ago, but that only helped for 2 weeks and the spasms were back - if I had known about these dilators then I could have kept it up and stopped the stenosis.
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Guest » 20 Feb 2012, 16:19

I too am going very slowly ... Still on the smallest dilator and I haven't been doing it every day. But I definitely feel enough of a result to keep me motivated to continue on with it.