Surgery 2 weeks from today

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Surgery 2 weeks from today

Postby restoremybody » 28 Apr 2012, 12:29

Hi everyone. First, I am so grateful to have some other people to talk to who have been through this. My surgery is scheduled 2 weeks from today. The doctor didn't call it LIS but that sounds like what it is- he said he would gently cut away the scar tissue and a few muscle fibers to help the healing- proctoplasty from anal stenosis and fissure. Can I get some advice about what to expect the day of? What do people eat aftward- should I only be eating soft food? Is coffee ok? My CRS said normal eating- but I want to help my body heal as much as I can. Are there any useful tips? I am pretty nerveous. Thanks.
restoremybody
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Re: Surgery 2 weeks from today

Postby MelissaB » 28 Apr 2012, 16:24

You've come to the right place. Sit back and stroll through some of the threads. You'll find plenty of information. Folks around here are wonderful.
MelissaB
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby 44alegna44 » 29 Apr 2012, 11:07

Hello and Welcome to the forum. Joining this site mostly means you've been through much pain, emotionally and physically, and for that we here are truly sorry. On a brighter note, I believe getting over the challenging mental hurdle of proceeding with surgery is a major victory and congratulations to you for taking the next step towards healing and recovery Image !
I had lis surgery back in February and can only offer my advice based on that surgery...I'm not quite sure if your's is the same.
Night before surgery up until surgery, no food/drink.
Following surgery, you'll be given your first bite of food at the hospital, to ensure your stomach is settled with no nausea/vomiting.
You'll be given a pain med to take, and should be released with a prescription to fill for those meds, to take for the remainder of the day...you will need them, so be sure to have someone fill the rx on your way home so you can continue to take them in a timely fashion for the duration of the evening. I only continued use of them through the following morning, after that advil did the trick for me from that point on.
The evening I came home from hospital, I simply ate some veggies and beans in a little broth (like a light soup). My appetite wasn't quite there, but I did want something more in my stomach aside from the muffin I had at the hospital.
From that night on my diet remained the same as it did prior to surgery. Fiber from soy products, beans and veggies, plenty of water. I followed the same regiment because I pretty much had it down to a science to produce the perfect consistency of stool for me. I continued eating this way for the first 4 weeks following surgery.
I also, from the night of surgery through the first 4 weeks, continued with my daily dose of miralax and 2 stool softeners as well. This also is what I took before surgery, all part of controlling my bm's.
Sitz baths continued for me as well, each day after bm, then one in the afternoon and one in the evening.
Before and after surgery I always had my 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning. For me, it never impacted my bm's negatively, so caffeine didn't seem to be an issue for me, thank goodness :D .
I think everything after surgery, just like before, revolves around maintaining the perfect bm. So, if you've found what works for you by means of your diet, I would highly recommend you continue with that at least until your first follow-up with your crs. Everyone's recovery is different though, and some people may be able to adjust their diet accordingly, sooner or later, based on their own individual healing.
Hope that helps....and I hope I can offer you some comfort by saying that you certainly don't feel the surgery itself, pain meds definitely relieve the pain afterwards, and the recovery was soooo much less painful than the pain leading up to surgery.
Best Wishes to You and we look forward to following your progress as you get on your way to "restoring your body".
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby restoremybody » 02 May 2012, 17:47

Angel, thanks for your reply. Can you answer me honestly when I ask, do you feel all healed now? Do you ever feel like you did before the fissure?
restoremybody
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Postby 44alegna44 » 02 May 2012, 19:37

Ok, I've been throwing this question around for a little while trying to find the best way to answer. First, I'd ask you to read my post on this Surgery Page titled "Even my crs was blindsided by this".
Next, yes, I truly felt wonderful by week 4, and back to myself by week 6....that is my honest answer. I felt the full benefits of my lis. I had resumed all daily activities again, including exercising (although cautiously), shopping and 100% household chores without relying on family to assist, planned ahead again, went out on a minutes notice again...and most importantly found myself happy again!!! Image
So I do believe, from my own short experience, you will feel just as you did before. I do know my lis was successful with the healing of my fissure, as I was just back to see my crs 3 weeks ago and that one has now fully healed. The second fissure I got, as of that visit, is also showing signs of improvement. :D
What seems to have been my downfall with my experience is stress...I believe there has been some sort of dark shadow following me and my family around for the last year...which started with the passing of my dad...and from then on it's been one curve ball after another really, without a moment to just breathe. I think the overload may have just run me down and the last episode, which is in my other post, was one my body just couldn't handle...it had just had enough. Image
I hope you're not sorry you asked, because at the end of this all, I know I would certainly go through it all over again, if need be, because it did work in healing my fissure and me once already. I'm in the EXTREMELY SMALL PERCENTAGE of those who may get another fissure after surgery.....so please rest confident in your decision to proceed and move on with your life as so many others have who were once active in this forum and have now healed. Image
Best wishes and so look forward to following your progress and success Image
Angel

44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9