Surgery in a few weeks - follow here if interested

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Surgery in a few weeks - follow here if interested

Postby Cheryl » 16 Mar 2007, 07:03

Fletch wrote:the LIS only deals with the muscle while a fissurectomy actually cuts out and removes the fissure itself.

Hey fletch... sorry for jumpin on so late, but just wanted to say that im really interessted in this part of your procedure...
I say this because when I had my LIS i was also under the impression that the fissurectomy was the 'removal' of the 'fissure'. Fissurectomy was written on my file aswell as Lateral internal sphincterectomy.. :roll: whao that is a mouthful!
So i believed i was having the sphincter muscle cut to relax the sphincter and the fissure 'removed'..
After i had the procedure and went back for my post op it was explained to me that only the LIS would ever be done as by cutting the muscle you would relax it enough for the fissure to heal itself. The doctor even went onto say that he was sure they did not do 'fissurectomys' ...
I hope you can give me more info on this as i was left pretty confused when i left my post op appointment...
Cheryl
Cheryl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 22

Postby Guest » 20 Mar 2007, 14:59

Cheryl wrote:
Fletch wrote:the LIS only deals with the muscle while a fissurectomy actually cuts out and removes the fissure itself.

Hey fletch... sorry for jumpin on so late, but just wanted to say that im really interessted in this part of your procedure...
I say this because when I had my LIS i was also under the impression that the fissurectomy was the 'removal' of the 'fissure'. Fissurectomy was written on my file aswell as Lateral internal sphincterectomy.. :roll: whao that is a mouthful!
So i believed i was having the sphincter muscle cut to relax the sphincter and the fissure 'removed'..
After i had the procedure and went back for my post op it was explained to me that only the LIS would ever be done as by cutting the muscle you would relax it enough for the fissure to heal itself. The doctor even went onto say that he was sure they did not do 'fissurectomys' ...
I hope you can give me more info on this as i was left pretty confused when i left my post op appointment...
Cheryl

From what my Dr tells me - the LIS is only the muscle with the fissure healing itself. When you get all three procedures the muscle is cut, the fissure removed and a small patch of skin is grafted onto the area to heal up.
You are correct though - for most people the LIS is enough - my dr figured that I might as well have all three since he does it anyway.

Postby Guest » 02 Apr 2007, 09:07

Hey all
6 days away and counting - I am meeting with the pre testing division tomorrow to go over anything. I have a list of questions - mostly about the spinal vs. GA (leaning toward spinal) - any other questions that are must ask?
Plan on asking about the procedure both pre, during and post. Also wanted to know if I was concious if I could listen to my ipod or something to keep me focused. Also what is the risk on infections - I seem to get ear infections/strep throat easily from my kids - I may have an ear infection now - I want to make sure that won't be a problem.
Anyway - fissure has been friendly for a while which is nice - not much pain but still bleeds. Part of me wants to bail on it since the pain isn't bad now but it will be back - I'm doing it! Just hope no serious complications arise.

Postby Guest » 02 Apr 2007, 09:16

Hey Fletch,
I am not going to be much help but I did want to say good luck and we'll be thinking of you!
I think in general the recovery would be quicker with a spinal. GA takes so long to get out of your system. I felt tired for 3 months after I had GA and I was an energetic 22 year old then! I remember I went to walk my dog around the block and got so tired I just had to sit down and wait and wait until I could get back up to make it home. This was pre-cell phone days or I probably would have called to have someone come get me!
As far as infections I think as long as you don't have a fever you should be fine. But it is something to ask about tomorrow.
I think listening to an Ipod would be a great idea. I would imagine that would be okay but they will probably give you a sedative too so you might be in kind of a twilight state that you may not notice it much.
I am sure others will be on with direct experience in this but did want to check in with you!
Take care,
Lecia

Postby Guest » 02 Apr 2007, 10:23

Thanks Lecia - that's what makes these boards great
Besides the obvious extra pain - I also see a lot more benefits with the spinal rather than GA.
As for the Ipod - I hope they let me - I would make a great surgery mix in anticipation!
Interested in how I will feel - since the fissure is not hurting me much I am in an unusual position of the pain should solely be from the surgery and not the fissure. Hope that will make the recovery quicker or less painful
Thanks for the thoughts though - I could use it!

Postby Guest » 02 Apr 2007, 10:49

Yeah, I would think this your fissure isn't active you should be feeling better sooner. Are they still going to do a fissurectomy and the anoplasty too?
You will make AF support forum history with all those procedures-you'll have to report back about it all since I don't know anyone who has had all that!
Lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 02 Apr 2007, 17:20

Part of me wants to bail on it since the pain isn't bad now but it will be back - I'm doing it! Just hope no serious complications arise.
Hey, I know the temptation is to bail if you're doing better, I went through that last year! But man am I ever so happy I didn't wait! I CAN BOUNCE ON ME ARSE AGAIN!
Soon, Fletch, you will too! Get that surgery mix ready!
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 03 Apr 2007, 13:00

Met with the preadmission staff for my surgery scheduled for Sat - decided to go with the spinal but get some of the twilight drugs that you get during a colonscopy so I wouldn't be completely aware of things during the procedure.
Nurse said the spinal is not too painful - experienced Dr will be doing it - usually a minute or two to administer the spinal then a bit of drugs and its over. She thought it was safer than GA and more appropriate since my procedure was "below the belt".
Still nervous but looking forward to getting this over with!
I am definitely getting the LIS and fissurectomy - not 100% on the anoplasty - they will decide in the middle if needed I guess.

Postby Guest » 03 Apr 2007, 13:30

Sounds like a good plan there! Try not to be nervous-you'll be fine! Did you ask about taking your Ipod in with you?
Maybe they can give you the twilight drug before the spinal?
That is what they did for me. I thought the IV felt worse than the epidural but my veins are kind of roly poly and they have to keep sticking me to get it in!
God Bless!
Lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 03 Apr 2007, 17:33

Yep! I definately feel the spinal is safer than the GA. You will recover so much faster, too, methinks!
Combined with the twilight drugs, you're gonna do fine. Kinda wished I'd done it that way....
Kim
Deleted User 5