Surgery in a few weeks - follow here if interested

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Surgery in a few weeks - follow here if interested

Postby Guest » 04 Apr 2007, 07:50

Lecia wrote:Sounds like a good plan there! Try not to be nervous-you'll be fine! Did you ask about taking your Ipod in with you?
Maybe they can give you the twilight drug before the spinal?
That is what they did for me. I thought the IV felt worse than the epidural but my veins are kind of roly poly and they have to keep sticking me to get it in!
God Bless!
Lecia

funny with the Ipod - the nurse thought it was a great idea but said it might get tangled in all the tubes/wires so it is up to the Drs that day.
She said they would probably give me the twilight after the spinal cause they need me to sit up for them to put it in - I guess once they give me the twilight I will be useless!
Still nervous but anxious to get it over with - sick of worrying about it!

Postby Guest » 04 Apr 2007, 07:54

ithurtstosit wrote:Yep! I definately feel the spinal is safer than the GA. You will recover so much faster, too, methinks!
Combined with the twilight drugs, you're gonna do fine. Kinda wished I'd done it that way....
Kim

I agree that it seems the spinal is much safer - if millions of pregnent women can do it then so can I! Even though I will be out of it with the twilight I just like the thought of mild valium that I have had before during colonoscopy rather than GA. Nurse was great - she knew I was freaked out and spent so much time with all my crazy questions.
Also - for prep I have to drink 3 glasses of Metamucil a day - that stuff is nasty! Sheet says I can switch to Miller's bran - think I'll go with that!
Less than 72 hours away!!

Postby Guest » 04 Apr 2007, 08:16

Can you wife be with you during the pre-op when they are doing the spinal? If not I bet you could at least have your ipod on for that part.
Yeah, that is a lot of metamucil to drink. The secret is to get it down before it starts to congeal! Eek!
Lecia

Postby Guest » 04 Apr 2007, 08:25

Lecia wrote:Can you wife be with you during the pre-op when they are doing the spinal? If not I bet you could at least have your ipod on for that part.
Yeah, that is a lot of metamucil to drink. The secret is to get it down before it starts to congeal! Eek!
Lecia

Not sure on the pre op - I'll find out Sat.
As a guy who used to take shots of Jack Daniels in college without a problem - I can't get this Metamucil down! Dr said I can switch to Miller's Bran or something to put in my cereal instead - going for that!

Postby Guest » 04 Apr 2007, 10:15

Fletch,

I take citrucel, maybe you could see if you can take that instead. It doesn't taste bad at all. I use the orange flavor and then I mix it in orange Juice or water. Doesn't seem to be a problem for me and I am usually a baby about taking something that doesn't taste good.

Good Luck with your surgery, I am sure it will be a breeze!!
Hang in there!

Postby Deleted User 5 » 04 Apr 2007, 10:17

Why do ya'll bother with that yucky Metamucil when there's Citrucel available? There's also another brand I can't recall at the moment that's clear and non-gritty (but probably costs more).
Try the Citrucel (I used Orange-flavored)...
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 04 Apr 2007, 11:19

ithurtstosit wrote:Why do ya'll bother with that yucky Metamucil when there's Citrucel available? There's also another brand I can't recall at the moment that's clear and non-gritty (but probably costs more).
Try the Citrucel (I used Orange-flavored)...
Kim

I usually use Benefiber but the preop instructions specifically say Metamucil or Miller's Bran don't want to not follow the directions but man is this stuff lousy. Is Benefiber basically the same?

Postby Deleted User 5 » 04 Apr 2007, 11:34

Is Benefiber basically the same?
I can't answer that. I'd have to research it. I guess you could try the Miller's bran, but I'm sure it tastes just as, um, yucky....
Other than adding fiber, I know of no other real benefit you'd get from *any* of the brands. I'd say they'd all do the same thing. But I don't want to go against the hospital's/doctor's advice.
If your CRS is like mine, you can call them anytime with questions like these...there'll be some nurse or practicioner there thatll have an answer.
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 05 Apr 2007, 13:32

Got the Miller's bran - much easier and better tasting than the Metamucil. Mix it with ceral - tastes like wheat. Would rec it to anyone.
Well about 36 hrs away - on one hand I am glad to get it over with and on the other hand I have this impending sense of doom - what if there is a problem? What if my heart flips out on the meds/spinal? What if I have an allergic reaction? What if I don;t wake up from twilight?
Hate thinking like that but its there - most say the anticipation is worse than the reality - hope thats the case here.
Thanks for all the reassurances - helps to hear that this is so "routine" even though it feels like I am going for a major operation!

Postby Guest » 05 Apr 2007, 17:35

Definitely the anticipation is worse than the actual thing in most cases in life! I remember reading that 98% of the things we worry about never come to pass.
I think you need to get your mind off of it-maybe get a book you've been wanting to read, or rent a dvd. Just keep telling yourself that in a day and a half this will all be over and by this time next week you will even be noticing improvement too!
I will keep you in my prayers.
Lecia