Surgery in a few weeks - follow here if interested

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Surgery in a few weeks - follow here if interested

Postby Guest » 10 Apr 2007, 14:54

hi all
thanks for the good thoughts. My wife's OBGYN who does lots of spinals confirmed that it is a side effect that happens in 2% or so of spinals and the BP must have helped the odds. My Anesth. says to ride it out another day or two - if no better I should get a blood patch which would be blood taken from my arm and put into my back to form a clot to seal the leak from where the spinal was put in - hoping to avoid that if possibe. Both Dr say it is not anything serious just painful and long.
It is my mid back and neck - the neck is the worst when it locks up at night. Just brutal pain. On the bright side the bottom seems good!
Keep send some good thoughts out there - thanks!! Thank goodness for Percs!
Hopefully others will learn from my plight.

Postby Guest » 10 Apr 2007, 15:31

Yeah, that is bum luck that you ended up with that but glad you've got some pain meds. Are the percs making you sick still? Just hang tight and watch some tv, read or listen to an audiobook.
Will pray for you too!
Lecia

Postby Deleted User 5 » 10 Apr 2007, 18:53

Both Dr say it is not anything serious just painful and long.
I'm gonna take that as the operative thought now. Nothing serious in the long run, but seriously painful! I'm sure you've experimented with finding the most comfortable positions to ease the pain.
That kind of pain (from cerebrospinal problems) is so out of my experience that I wouldn't dare suggest anything, Fletch. Two days will go by fast, though, and remember Lecia's advice (or was it on this thread?) that distraction is a good way to manage pain -- I used to play the piano a lot when I had bad migraines. It didn't cure it but it helped get my mind off of the pain.
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 10 Apr 2007, 18:59

Yes, play video games or join us on the games thread!

Postby Guest » 11 Apr 2007, 12:31

Feel a bit better today - was told to drink a ton of caffeine which has helped. Dr seems to think I will be ok by this weekend.
Fissure area is fine (funny how priorities change) - feels good
thanks for the thoughts
Peace

Postby Guest » 11 Apr 2007, 17:18

Glad to hear your are doing better. Yeah, it is amazing how priorities can change. You know the old saying...the squeaky wheel gets the oil!

Postby Guest » 13 Apr 2007, 10:47

Now Fri - tomorrow will be one week from the surgery - after a tough few days the back spasms have stopped. I still get a slight headache but nothing compared to the back/neck pain I was getting.
Finally felt good enough to go to Tylenol during the am and then Percs only in the pm
Funny thing is once the back pain subsided the pain in the surgery area started kicking up - back pain was probably masking it.
Taking 3 sitz baths a day - some bleeding from time to time. Slight dull throbbing throughout the day which gets worse after a BM. Nothing compared to the pain I was in so I can deal with it.
So my Dr did the LIS, fissurectomy, skin tag removal and hemerhoidectomy as well - I figure with all that went on it will take a little while longer to heal.
It is hard to hold in BMs - usually can only do it for a short time - I assume this gets better as the healing continues? I've read 4-6 weeks here so I'll be patient. Have a follow up with surgeon a week from Tues.
Thanks for all the good thoughts and advice - if given the choice I would steer away from the spinal again! At least you guys know what can happen!

Postby Deleted User 5 » 13 Apr 2007, 11:07

Don't worry about holding the BMs -- once your cut sphincter heals, that'll be much better! Just stay near the toilet for now..
Yes, with all that "extra" surgery, you have a whole extra day to recover, compared to some of us -- LOL.
Glad the pain is better. The anal pain may be flaring up because you're not on heavy painkillers anymore (?).
As for the bleeding -- don't worry. Your fissure needs about 5 more weeks to heal. Soon you will only be noticing slight pink stains on the toilet paper, and then....no pink, red or anything. Won't that be nice!?
Oh, but at about that time the "healing" itch will kick in for a week or so....
So with your back and neck pain easing up, it does indeed look like that was just a typical side-effect from the spinal! Good deal!
Oh, can you feel the healing vibes I'm sending out?
Take Care!
Kim
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 13 Apr 2007, 11:23

You are amazing being able to get up and post with all that you had done to your poor butt not to mention the complications with the spinal.
That is encouraging to hear that the pain is better than it was before the surgery. That must be such a relief to you.
I will be interested in hearing more about your healing. Did they do a hemorrhoidectomy on internal hems or external? I am interested in the fissurectomy itself too. My doctor doesn't do that but if it could help I might check out a different doctor to get another opinion.
Yep, tomorrow will be 1 week for you won't it! Now it is behind you and you can focus on getting better!

Postby Guest » 13 Apr 2007, 11:36

I feel the vibes!
It really helped me during the worst times earlier this week when I had no idea what was going on - that is the scariest part - at least the butt stuff I expected.
As for the particulars - I'll give you all the details when I meet with the Dr - but he is an expert and figured as long as he was in there take care of everything!