Surgery Scheduled for 12/23

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Surgery Scheduled for 12/23

Postby bob » 22 Dec 2009, 19:06

Good luck Rusty - you should be feeling lots better on Christmas than you do now. Better to be on the mend than not!
bob
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby chris2 » 23 Dec 2009, 17:08

yes! good luck! let us know how you make out.
chris2
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Rusty Bridges » 23 Dec 2009, 20:03

Update - After one of the worst nights sleep of my life (I was experiencing horrible spasms all night), I went in to the hospital quite nervous but very excited to hopefully get rid of this monster.
All in all the process took 5 hours with the surgery itself only taking about 20 minutes. I was out of the hospital at about 2pm and feeling high as a kite :) I have yet to experience any pain and spasms and except for a bundle of gauze being up there that causes some uncomfort I feel fantastic.
Fingers crossed for tomorrow when I have my first BM.
thanks for everyone's help in this decision!
Rusty Bridges
Fibre Addict

Postby jman11 » 23 Dec 2009, 20:06

Keep em soft Rusty!
jman11
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby bob » 23 Dec 2009, 21:51

Rusty - Great that it is done. You may not have a BM tomorrow, so don't worry if you don't. Use the Miralax and all will be ok - there will be some blood for a couple of weeks but the worst should be over.
bob
Salt Bather

Postby chris2 » 23 Dec 2009, 22:16

Yes, let me echo what Bob said. It may take a day or two to have a BM. Eat light, drink lots of water and make sure to have lots of fiber and a stool softener. I know it is easier said than done, but don't fret too much over the first BM after surgery. Keep us updated on how things go. I wish you luck and a speedy recovery!
chris2
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Rusty Bridges » 25 Dec 2009, 11:17

Merry Christmas Everyone!
48 Hours in - Had my first movement today. It was not as smooth as one would have liked. I have to admit that I kind of forced it since I was getting stomach pains from constipation. Anyway, it went well but then I started to get some pain about 20 minutes later. It wasn't the spasm pain but felt more like pain from the incision site. A couple of advil and percocets along with a soak helped the pain a lot.
Other than that, I have just been staying in bed and having a healthy diet of water, miralax, high fiber foods, stool softners and pain killers. I am feeling quite good about this, though I have to admit I did get a little worried when I had the pain this morning.
Rusty Bridges
Fibre Addict

Postby Rusty Bridges » 26 Dec 2009, 09:41

Had my second movement today. Overall it went well until about twenty minutes afterwards when I started to get that all too familiar feeling of a spasm. On a scale of 1-10 it was about a 4 (I was at 8 or 9 prior to the surgery). Is this normal? I am a little scared that the surgery might not have worked :( Luckily I have the percocets which took care of the pain pretty quickly. I am just hoping it is a result of the incision and not the fissure.
Rusty Bridges
Fibre Addict

Postby bob » 26 Dec 2009, 10:02

Hopefully it is just post op pain. Keep doing the hot baths once or twice a day. You should be feeling lots better in a week.
bob
Salt Bather

Postby Rusty Bridges » 27 Dec 2009, 10:52

So I heard from my CRS yesterday (who was nice enough to email me while he was on vacation) He said that it is probably a combination of post-operation pain as well as pain from the fissure. He said that I had a huge fissure that is going to take some time to heal. He instructed me to continue to rest and just hang in there and I should feel better in a week or so.
Rusty Bridges
Fibre Addict