Surgery Scheduled for 12/23

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Surgery Scheduled for 12/23

Postby bob » 27 Dec 2009, 10:55

Was nice of your CRS to email you and hopefully the pain will resolve soon.
bob
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Fissulyna » 29 Dec 2009, 03:37

I posted some answers for you on the separate thread that you have.
Please try to keep your poop soft, take religiously those baths and you can ask for some relaxants too...
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Rusty Bridges » 31 Dec 2009, 11:07

Update- So it has been over a week since the surgery. Overall I feel better, but I am definitely not one of the miraculous recoveries that I have read about on this site Image
During the day I experience very little pain when sitting on the couch or resting in bed. After the movement this morning I experienced some small spasms that went away with a 20 minute soak (times like this I really wish I had a hot tub, it is getting quite boring sitting on the toilet for extended periods of time).
I am still on advil and a couple of vicodins for the pain. Before the surgery my biggest pain was caused while driving and/or sitting at my desk for extended periods. Yesterday i went out driving for a bit. It was definitely uncomfortable but not as bad as before.
At this point I have concluded that I am one of the people that will heal up very slowly. I go back to work next week but will continue to keep the BM's soft and try to soak as much as I can.
The big test will be on the 13th when I fly from Boston to Montana for a vacation, sitting for that long period could cause some problems but I have a bunch of percocets left over just in case it gets too painful :)
I want to wish everyone a happy new year and thanks so much for all the help!
Rusty Bridges
Fibre Addict

Postby bob » 31 Dec 2009, 15:08

Rusty - Though you are not pain free, it sounds like you are much better than pre-op, so the trend is good. Hopefully by the 13th you will be good to go. Have a happy New Year!
bob
Salt Bather

Postby Rusty Bridges » 01 Jan 2010, 10:12

Thanks Bob, I really hope I am healed soon.
One strange thing though, since the beginning my CRS has told me that I do not need to do the sitz bath, he actually said that I should attempt to keep the area dry and clean. But on here, everyone is saying to do the sitz bath constantly. The sitz bath actually makes it really uncomfortable for me to sit after I soak for 20-30 minutes. I think it is because everything down there swells up after I soak.
Rusty Bridges
Fibre Addict

Postby bob » 01 Jan 2010, 11:01

Rusty - The sitz baths are for symptom relief. At this stage if they do not help I would just take a shower after each BM if possible until you are healed. I also found that baby wipes worked well post BM and I used bacitracin ointment for a couple of weeks post op as well.
bob
Salt Bather

Postby Rusty Bridges » 03 Jan 2010, 13:20

Update- Well things took a turn for the worse in the last couple of days. I experienced some spasms that are right up there with the ones I was having pre-op. In addition I tried to go driving yesterday but could only last about five minutes in the car because of the pain. At this point I really don't know what to do. I am sort of concerned that maybe the surgery didn't work out.
I am trying to get an appointment with my CRS this week for him to at least take a look and see if everything is ok down there.
I am definitely frustrated at this point :(
Rusty Bridges
Fibre Addict

Postby cherylk » 03 Jan 2010, 14:30

Rusty,
I think healing takes awhile; you might have to be patient about it.
Cheryl
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Rusty Bridges » 03 Jan 2010, 15:14

I know, I know. I am just impatient Image
Rusty Bridges
Fibre Addict

Postby Rusty Bridges » 04 Jan 2010, 16:26

So my CRS was confused as to why I was in pain when sitting down for an extended period of time and so he wanted me to come in today. Turns out that I have a severe external hemorrhoid which was causing my discomfort. I don't know how I got it, since I have never had hemorrhoids before.
But anyway, it feels good to know that at least some of the pain was not because of the surgery.
Rusty Bridges
Fibre Addict