LIS on 28 Jan 2011

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: LIS on 28 Jan 2011

Postby Bumbutt » 17 Feb 2011, 01:23

The first couple nights I had movicol/miralax, it also gave me stomach cramps - after that I think my body got used to it, and it doesn't give me stomach cramps anymore (just once in a great while). I also have to remind myself that I do not need to "slam it", and drink it down fast like you do the Fibergel drinks. I also take a little less than a 3/4 dose, which means I am getting only about 9g of the active ingredient (whose name I forget ... macrogel? in movicol at least). I measure it out in teaspoons.... 2 t is not enough (not soft enough), and 3 t is too much (2-3 bathroom visits a day).... 2.5 is jusssst right, for me.
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby Dave » 17 Feb 2011, 08:19

Ok thanks, maybe I should start it again in smaller doses, I just get diarrhea easily and the cramps were horrible that first night when I used it - thats why I'm a bit hesitant. I however noticed the last two days that my stool is not as soft as it used to be but I still only have to apply little pressure to get it out which is a good thing I suppose. So difficult to decide what to try and what to leave...
Dave
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Dave » 20 Feb 2011, 04:51

Hi again, would really like to know from those of you that had the LIS surgery for how long you still experienced bleeding from time to time. I'm now 3+ weeks past op and there are days when I still have bright red blood on the tp - the sharp pain that I experienced before with a bm is better now but the blood is still there - every time it happens I'm very down and see it as a set back...The dull pain I now manage by taking a pain tablet in the morning en then one in mid afternoon. I know from other posts that the dull pain might still continue for a few months to come most probably due to the spasms. My stools are still releatively soft but larger now - I have started with a small dose of movicol last night but it didnt make a difference - will now increase it a bit and see what happens. If anyone can just give feedback regarding the bleeding please - will really appreciate it. Dave
Dave
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 20 Feb 2011, 07:29

Hey Dave,
I had LIS last October. I didn't experience blood after the first week but have read on this board of many who did. The dull ache sounds like possible spasms, but mine had a clenching feeling too...
Don't get discouraged! The key is keeping the stool soft, avoiding foods that can cause harder bm's. The baths will help settle down the spasms if you are having them and help the healing.
From my experience with the miralax which is similar to movicol, you have to give it about three days before seeing the results.

Postby Dave » 20 Feb 2011, 09:03

Thanks Dawn. I'll continue with the Movicol for a while now - but I definitely dont need the full dose. Just had a second smallish soft bm this afternoon and that doesnt happen often to me - almost always have one bm per day before 8am - might be related to the Movicol I started last night. Going to the surgeon again tomorrow (4th visit post-op) so I hope that he will still see progress even with the bleeding that I experience. I'm just wondering - what if this doesnt work for me (anoplasty? colostomy? second lis?) - but then I see Steve's posts where he says that he is giving it a full year before going for possible more surgery and I'm only 3 weeks down the line - so I suppose I have to remain patient and try to be positive....
Dave
Fibre Addict

Postby Dave » 21 Feb 2011, 05:48

Just an update: On day 24 post op and fissure still not closed - dr said this morning that its 50% closed. Also had two small trombosed hemmorhoids drained this morning - local anaesthetic. I see the surgeon every week - now had 4 post op visits. Still experience bleeding from time to time - although I try to eat the right stuff and bm's mostly soft. Also started with small dose of Movicol 2 days ago.
Dave
Fibre Addict

Postby Dave » 25 Feb 2011, 04:27

Hi all,
I need suggestions please. I kept on using Movicol at night for the past week or so - down to one teaspoon now! My stools are too soft now - also had proper diarrhea last night and that is not what you want... What should I do.
Today is 4 weeks post-LIS and no sign yet of complete fissure healing - the small hemmorhoids (never had that before) also didnt help the process...
Dave
Fibre Addict

Postby desperatehousewife » 28 Feb 2011, 00:07

Dave,
If your stools are too soft with Movicol (mine were too - benefibre was the same problem for me too), I suggest that you do Metamucil. It is gritty, and makes a gel but your poops come out all in one and soft. I only go once a day usually too.
Directions from my CRS that are different from the label: 1 tablespoon mixed with water in a.m., followed immediately by another big glass of water. Do this again before you go to bed - So twice a day. If you buy the plain one, orange juice as a mixer works best. Right now, I'm drinking the grapefruit one as you just add water, although I don't like that it is sweetened with artificial sweetners. Oh well, I have bigger battles to fight I guess! Before I didn't heed to fibre supps being used first thing in the morning and end of evening and I always had a problem with the first part of my poop being too hard and ripping me, with the remainder being mush. It took me 6 months to figure out it was my timing of my laxative products. No problems now with that!
P.S. Bath, bath bath. It does help with blood flow and spasms. A shower, cannot do that as effectively.
Good luck!
desperatehousewife
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby StevePain » 28 Feb 2011, 04:00

That's why I don't take Movicol, it makes the stools too watery or sloppy which causes irritation, I found that bulking up the stools is better and you can get rid of more in one go rather than going lots of times, I take Fybogel which is a fibre supplement.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Dave » 28 Feb 2011, 04:31

Thanks for the replies - I suppose Fybogel and Metamucil are similar products? Steve, what is the dose that you take on a daily basis and when do you take it?
Dave
Fibre Addict

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here