Just came back from surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Just came back from surgery

Postby happyass » 30 Jun 2011, 20:43

hi alpha,
congratulations on getting the surgery done!
i think what you are feeling is normal considering that you are straining and the stool is hard.
i don't remember what you are taking for stool softners but i was reluctant to after surgery. then i opted to try the metamucil wafers (my favorite are the apple cinnamon) and having 3 of those little packets with hot jasmine green tea or cool water throughout the day really helped soften things up.
the only thing that may be of concern is the yellow discharge. is there pain associated with this? it wouldn't be a bad thing to call your surgical CRS/doc to give you a look and see.
i don't want to cause you alarm....but it would certainly help rule out anything negative.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby alpha » 01 Jul 2011, 08:39

happyass wrote:hi alpha,
congratulations on getting the surgery done!
i think what you are feeling is normal considering that you are straining and the stool is hard.
i don't remember what you are taking for stool softners but i was reluctant to after surgery. then i opted to try the metamucil wafers (my favorite are the apple cinnamon) and having 3 of those little packets with hot jasmine green tea or cool water throughout the day really helped soften things up.
the only thing that may be of concern is the yellow discharge. is there pain associated with this? it wouldn't be a bad thing to call your surgical CRS/doc to give you a look and see.
i don't want to cause you alarm....but it would certainly help rule out anything negative.

Pain? I don't know if it is associated with discharge but I do have this constant pinching sensation at 3 o'clock position. I don't know what it is though. Is yellow discharge not normal??? It's something like yellowish mucus... I thought everyone have some discharge for about 4 - 6 weeks after surgery...
alpha
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby val » 01 Jul 2011, 09:46

I had discharge after my surgeries, but it was blood that lessened over time and then totally stopped. I think I would get it checked out like Happy said - if only for peace of mind. Yellow discharge may not be normal, unless anyone's had that??
And when I had my fistula, that was a pinching, stabbing kind of pain. It's always better to err on the side of caution and just check it out , if it is an infection it can be easily treated.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby dexterdude » 01 Jul 2011, 10:02

My discharge is mostly yellowish now too. Doc checked it out today (due to my other problem) and said "yea, it's some pus", but was totally cool. Then the CRS was the same, so I guess it's part of the healing process.
As long as there is no pain/fever and not that much discharge, it should be ok.
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby alpha » 01 Jul 2011, 11:08

OK, I will call the CRS.. I hope he can spare some time with me. He is always busy.. He did not even see me after the surgery so....
alpha
Salt Bather

Postby alpha » 01 Jul 2011, 11:33

Ok, I just talked to doctor's office and talked to his nurse. They said yellow mucus like discharge is OK but if it turns to green and smells bad or have fever then call them immediately. So mine looks like normal discharge.
About the pinching sensation, they told me to call next week if it still bothers me... So I will see.
alpha
Salt Bather

Postby val » 01 Jul 2011, 12:35

Oh, that's good news! At least it sets your mind at rest that there is nothing wrong!
Dexter - pus is ok?? I always thought that signalled an infection? I don't think I really had a fever with either of my fistulas - just felt kind of "off".
Thats a good thing if it can leak pus and not be anything to worry about - I can calm down about mine now!
val
King Fissure

Postby alpha » 02 Jul 2011, 00:14

I gave a better look to my discharge tonight.
Damn!!!!! It's color is greenish.
It looks like that I have two different discharge. One yellow and one green.
I keep gauze between my chick. About an hour ago, I took out the gauze and examined discharge on it. It was yellow. Then before i put a new gauze I gave my ass a cleaning with cotton ball. Then I noticed greenish mucus. I touched it with my finger. It was more like mucus than pus. I think mucus is more sticky than pus..
I think i will definitly see the doctor ASAP.
alpha
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 02 Jul 2011, 05:50

Alpha,
I would definitely get that checked out by a doctor.

Postby val » 02 Jul 2011, 07:22

Alpha, I definitely agree with Dawn, get someone to look at it ASAP. If it is infected, it's better to get it sorted sooner rather than later.
val
King Fissure