Just came back from surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Just came back from surgery

Postby alpha » 01 Jun 2011, 17:36

ok....
I just got back home from surgery. The only pain i had was when the put needle on my arm for IV. Then they put me in sleep and when i got up every thing was done.
I got back home about 30min ago and posting this using my new ipad while i am taking sitz bath.
I have no pain yet. I guess anethesis they gave me is still working. I also took a pain killer they prescribed right after i wake up at the hospital.
My CRS told me that i will be able to get back to work on next Monday but i guess he is being overly positive.
Anyway so far so good. I will keep you guys updated.
So far so good. I will keep you guys updated
Last edited by alpha on 01 Jun 2011, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
alpha
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Re: Just came back from surgery

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 01 Jun 2011, 17:52

Nice, congrats man! Be sure to take it easy over the rest of the day. I felt like a CHAMP when I got back from surgery (even sat right on my ass and played video games for hours plus emailed my boss and told him how easy it was and that I'd be back in the office the next day Image) but definitely felt a bit more ummm "post-surgical" once all the anesthesia wore off :) Cheers for taking the step toward reclaiming your ass!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Deleted User 579 » 01 Jun 2011, 17:56

Congratulations, Alpha!! Image Image
I agree with NG - definitely take it easy. CRSs tend to underestimate recovery time. Some folks are fine in a few days, but they are definitely the minority. Most of us need at least a week - two weeks is better!
I'm so glad you aren't in any pain right now. Take good care of yourself and rest as much as possible. You are now on your way to healing and putting all of this behind you!
Deleted User 579

Postby alpha » 01 Jun 2011, 18:57

Thank you guys.
The effect of Anesthesia is getting weaker and i am experiencing some pain already. Not that bad though. I can still move around. I am takng another sitz bath now. Doctor tod me to take it every hour, six to seven times today.
I want to pass some gas and urinate, but i am somewhat uncomfortable to do it now. So i will wait.
Will this pain get much better tomorrow?
How were yuo guys second day? Better than the first day in general?
So far the pain is 100 times better than the pain I experienced after hemorrhodectomy long ago. I hope this don' get any worse than now.
alpha
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 01 Jun 2011, 19:18

Hey Alpha - the pain the second day for me was about the same as the first day, but after I took a percocet, I was fine. After the first three days, I switched from the percocet to robaxacet (a muscle relaxant) and all was ok. You should not have pain anywhere near what you went through with the hemorroidectomy.
Deleted User 579

Postby alpha » 01 Jun 2011, 19:34

So how many days until i feel noticeably less pain?
alpha
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 01 Jun 2011, 19:54

Everybody's different, so it's really hard to say. Some folks get immediate relief from the spasm pain. In my case, I still had some burning from spasms, but it was mild and didn't last longer than a week. By the time I was into my second week, the pain had noticably decreased. Even just after surgery, the pain was not as bad as before the surgery, especially after a BM. I was terrified of the first BM, but it actually went better than before the surgery.
Did you also get a fissurectomy after all? If so, then you might experience a bit more pain somewhat longer; but even so, I still think that the pain will be less than before the LIS because the spasms should be gone or significantly diminished. Give yourself at least a week for the pain to noticably subside. Basically, I'd say that it is reasonable to expect to be in some pain, but not agony - and the pain should be managable with painkillers. As I said, everybody is different - try to take one day at a time. The first week will go by quickly if you get lots of rest and sleep as much as you can. Just keep reminding yourself that now that you've had the surgery, you are healing and not just coping with pain!
Deleted User 579

Postby alpha » 01 Jun 2011, 21:00

Ok, strange thing happened. I got out of bed to prepare dinner then i felt sick with my stomach felt like i wanted to vomit. Then mild pain from abdomen which made me feel like i need to move bowel. So yes, i did have a bm. Very watery stool. Not much. No pain from bm.
Good thing is i felt some urge!!!! Ive been so depressed because my urge to defecate got very week or gone recently. Maybe this surgery gave this urge back?
Oh also there was some fecal leak.
And yes i had fissurectomy.
alpha
Salt Bather

Postby Elphie » 01 Jun 2011, 21:26

I would say the second day was a little worse for me, I was numb pretty much the entire first day, but as soon as I took the percosets it was fine. I made sure to take it easy as long as I could. Congratulations on getting through surgery, I hope everyday gets better and you're back to life soon!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby Deleted User 579 » 01 Jun 2011, 21:36

Congratulations on your first post-op BM! I actually threw up after my surgery, but I'm not sure if that was because my body wasn't used to the percocet or because my surgery was so traumatic (I only had a local, and my surgeon was really brutal). I threw up while having my first BM! Leakage is not uncommon - for the first few days to a week, everything down there will be a bit numb and/or in a bit of shock, so you may also pass gas involuntarily. Many of us found that our BM problems got much better after surgery - I certainly did.
You are doing very well, Alpha! It's great that you have an appetite. Take it easy moving around. You are probably still a bit woozy from the GA, and if you're on painkillers, they will make you a bit woozy until you are used to them too. Try to get a good night's sleep - sleep is very important for healing. Things are going to get better from now on.
:D
Deleted User 579