My standardized Anal Dilatation this morning

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

My standardized Anal Dilatation this morning

Postby wecc » 04 Jan 2012, 20:03

Hello All!
I had a standardized Anal Dilatation at 10 this morning. I will spare everyone about this new method, which if you are indeed interested, why this over an LIS and other info, you can pull this up from any one of my earlier posts.
One thing I will say is, this was performed at a major hospital here in the NY area and I had the opportunity to spend a bit of time with the OR nurse, as well as the unit head nurse. The OR nurse said they have had tremendous success with this method. So I asked how come this in one of the only CRS I could find in all the NY area to offer this AD rather than an LIS, where most CRS want to go in and cut…her simple response was “I’m not going there” She smiled and said I will see you in the OR room.
For me I am so happy I do not have to worry about any chance of infection or discharge simply because unlike an LIS, there is no cutting involved. Yes indeed I am passing wind like a tropical storm, but and this is a big but, I have no problem controlling it. At this point no soiling and in fact, I plan on working most of the day from home tomorrow and I plan on attending my daughters BB game on Friday….
Part of me is waiting for that shoe to drop…this is way too easy. Many of your responses were how come if this is much better than an LIS, I have not heard of it, or my CRS does not know anything about it, or there is not much on the web about it? The fact is, I was all set for an LIS till I ran across an old post on this site which started my research which took me to Germany and Japan where AD’s are the gold standard rather than an LIS. I will let each of you draw your own conclusion why that is.
Early this morning I had to prep …than off to the hospital…they put me out, back on my way home in about 3 hours. It has been at least 4 -5 hours since the happy juice wore off and I can say I have no pain whatsoever. Yes, I am a bit sore, however with that said I do not even need even Advil. Now of course, there is no telling what tomorrow’s BM will bring, however all I can say is WOW! The worst part was the prep this morning before going to the hospital.
I can say right here and now, I am sure glad I went this route! Let’s see if I am saying the same thing a few weeks from now and where I am with my AF pain and those lovely post BM spasms….
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Re: My standardized Anal Dilatation this morning

Postby sterlingbird » 05 Jan 2012, 03:05

I am always open minded and hope this will work for you. If you can find something that works by all means go with it. I also believe that it is by trial that we find things that work better and that the courage to try something new is commendable.Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.
sterlingbird
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby wecc » 05 Jan 2012, 05:50

Hi Sterlingbird...commendable, rather I would use the word scared. I had suffer with AF’s and spasms for about a year. Many times the pain was a 10 out of 10 and it would bring me to tears. I am a person who is in their mid-50 and spent years as an officer in the Marines. I know pain, yet, this AF was as close to the most painful thing I do deal with for an extended period of time. Like many, I tried everything, even things I found on the internet. I was somewhat back to normal where the pain would go from a 7 to a 2 for a week or so and then I would re-tear and would be right back to a 7 plus. Not only does my work require that I travel, I was finding many times I was in pain that I could not do things with my kids that I use to….this was screwing up my life. The human mind and the will to believe is very strong in that I would say, "it will get better next week, I mean it got better before, so therefore I can get over that hump and completely heal". Well that never came. So I knew this would not heal without surgery.
The reason I said scared above is while I reed about the success that many are having with an LIS, still many are are not. I really feel for all the people on this site that had LIS’s and a year later as still having complications . Though research I saw that incontinences can be indeed be higher in some. I did not want to roll that dice, however it really seemed I did not have a choice. Either an LIS or live a life of in and out of pain. Till looking though old posts I came upon post about a CRS that does this new type of AD. Along the way, I found many interesting facts about the success that AD’s have in other developed countries, not the type where the DR puts his finger in your butt and pulls, but a standardized way where they use a balloon. I could not understand given what I found out either on line on when I was in Germany on business why here it’s all about cutting. I finally found a CRS in NY who did over 3000 of these AD’ but was retired but though more research, I found my present CRS
Anyway, I have to get my daughter up for school….walk the dog and start answering emails. I am a bit sore, but again I did not even need Advil last night. I have yet to have a BM…so I do not know how that will go or about those wonderful after BM spasms. I will let everyone one going forward….
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sue1962 » 05 Jan 2012, 06:37

Congrats Wecc!!!Glad you are doing so well!! Nice to hear you didn't need any pain meds!!! Hoping you continue to do well. I am having surgery on Monday and getting nervous, but I too, know this needs to be done
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby wecc » 05 Jan 2012, 07:45

Hi Sue....good luck to you. My feeling is you can either be a victor or a victim. You can let this problem take over your life, or you take it head on....I chose the latter, which I wish was sooner... getting to a place knowing it just will not heal with what i was doing prior....For me it was our big family thanksgiving dinner where I had to stand and eat in the kitchen that i was in so much pain and my daughter comining in kitchen taking my hand saying daddy i hope you feel better tomorrow.....
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 579 » 05 Jan 2012, 09:35

Yay wecc!! Image Image Image
Way to go! I'm so glad your surgery went so well and that you are feeling so good! Wonderful news! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your recovery is simple and easy too. It's very exciting to think that there may be a new procedure out there that is much less scary than an LIS.
I hope you're having a great day! Image
Deleted User 579

Postby wecc » 05 Jan 2012, 10:21

Hello again…just wanted to let all my friends know I appreciate all your support.
About an hour minutes ago I had my very first BM after AD. Now as we all know all too well, many times it hurts and then worst part is the spasms afterwards lasting hours.
Well not only did I not have any pain during, I have had no spasms afterwards. No blood….no discharge….just nada. I have not needed any pain killer at all, not EVEN Advil!!!! I grow up believing if it sound to good to be true, 99% of the time it is. I as well as many of you thought the same thing given there is not much our there is the U.S about this method. I have my own understanding of why that might be and as I said on my last few posts, I will let you all draw your own conclusion. My thoughts were if this does not work I can always go the LIS route.
While I understand many of you might not have a choice about an LIS because CRS in your area may not offer this type of AD…of you that live in or close to major areas, please look into this prior to making your decision. Do your research. I was set to have an LIS and the CRS was a very caring and a great doctor….I just found out about this in the top of the 8th inning! Worst case if it does not work, you can always go the LIS route. But given just one day later, if available, I do not know why anyone would want an invasive surgery like an LIS, when you can try this….
Just last week I was once again at a 8 pain wise and now nothing at all. I know I will have to change my life style and no big steak dinner with clients….lots of water….fiber and I will take my magnesium pills which have turned my hard , difficult BM’s in soft and regular as clock work.
From someone who suffered for over a year…was brought to tears from the pain…there is 100% light at the end of the tunnel…even when you feel hopeless…
God bless…I will let you know how this goes for the next weeks into late February…
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby wecc » 05 Jan 2012, 10:24

thank you very much hopetoheal...you have been very thoughtful and caring during this whole ordeal. Like I said, I would never have found out about this if not from this form!!!
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Em » 05 Jan 2012, 14:16

I'm glad it's going so well Wecc.
My surgeon did the same to me (he said he used his finger to enlarge my anus - I hadn't known he was going to do that as I thought it was just a colonoscopy). He said I had such a small opening to my anus that this was causing me some of my problems. He said that when we're in the womb our anus is covered and then when we're nearly due to be born, this covering membrane drops off - mine didn't fully drop off.
Anyway, I hope I'm not jinxing myself but I haven't had any blood for 6 weeks. I use nifidepine and licodine (sp) as I'm still a bit uncomfy if i don't but I don't get spasms.
Em
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Em » 05 Jan 2012, 14:16

I need to add, I don't get any pain going to the toilet.
Em
Salt Bather

Topics: 5