Surgery Dec 19th

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Surgery Dec 19th

Postby thefer74 » 06 Dec 2012, 20:55

Hi
To make a long story short, I had a chronic fissure that turned into an abscess that got ulgy 2-3 wks ago. Now it might be a fistula but we can't be sure because it is too painful. The surgeon drained the abscess 3 weeks ago. I had a follow up appt today. Luckly for me, I was getting alot more pressure and aching all day. He said there is swelling and the abscess is back and still draining. I am scheduled for surgery at 7 am on Dec 19. He said that I am in a holding pattern and at this point, surgery is the only option. They will knock me out for 5 minutes, do a block and then wake me up and keep me lightly sedated. No tubes down my throat. He said that I won't care. I will take a taxi home.
He plans to go in, do a better exam, clean up the infection, find the fistula tract using some type of blue dye, do a fistulotomy and possibly put in a seton to let the abscess drain. He may have to remove hemorrhoids around the area where the seton is. Then in March, I will go back and he will remove the seton and put a plug in.
I am very nervous about this. I never thought in a million years that I would have surgery down there. I avoided it 4 yrs ago when they first suggested getting this fixed. Now, putting it off caused further damage. I will have a couple weeks to recover, which he said should be enough time. I will have the seton to deal with until March.
If anyone has gone through this, how was it? Do you regret it? Did it help? What was the first couple days like?
thanks
Jennifer
thefer74
Salt Bather

Topics: 22

Re: Surgery Dec 19th

Postby Lauren12 » 08 Dec 2012, 17:18

Hi Jennifer
It seems the people who've experience of fistulas may not have been on the forum recently, or perhaps not spotted your post. Hopefully you'll get some replies soon.
In the meantime, wishing you all the best for your procedure and recovery.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby richibeno » 08 Dec 2012, 17:37

Hi Jen
I have something similar to what you have
I had bottox for my fissure '3 weeks later I was in the operating theater for an abscess caused by well who knows may be a blocked glance from the bottox injections
I had it all drained and cut out and had a Seton put in because a fistular had formed its a draining Seton which he put in to keep the fistular track open and drain the rest o f the rubbish out , I go in on the 11 Dec to have it taken out and hopefully :D lay open the fistular and let it heal from the inside out my Seton has been in for over 2 months so it has all settle down and no more abscess, the Seton is OK you get used to it but it can take a while to clean up after a bm '
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby thefer74 » 08 Dec 2012, 19:22

Hi
thanks. Good luck with your surgery. I keep having doubts about it until it flares up. Tonight, I have alot of pain and pressure. The abscess was starting to come back when I saw him on Thursday. Tonight, it is much bigger and extremely painful. He told me if it gets likes this to call him so he can drain it. I took some pain meds so I am hoping it will drain on it's own. I am so tired of this stupid abscess. It makes sitting so painful.
We are fairly sure a fistular has formed. He thinks it is an internal one-possibly horseshoe. I am not looking forward to getting a seton put in.
Was there alot of pain afterwards? I got prescriptions for stronger pain meds, antibiotics and creams.
thefer74
Salt Bather

Topics: 22

Postby marg6043 » 08 Dec 2012, 20:42

I never had a fistula, but my son was born with one and at 9 month of age he underwent surgery in which they cut from the inside where the opening was to the outside of his rectum were the exit opening was, he is 26 and never had any complain about anything down there, even when my pediatrician at the time warned me that it could come back later on in his life, a laser was used for the cutting and not stitches.
Surgery is something that is not new to me, I had 3, under general anesthesia, One major one, I spend 5 days in the hospital and could not move for two, then two outpatient, I no longer get scare about anesthesia because is wonderful to fall asleep to wake up when everything is already done.
Is OK to be nervous and to fear, if you get too anxious you can always ask your doctor for some help until your surgery day to help you relax.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8