Cleaning up after BM

How to properly clean up after BM

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Cleaning up after BM

Postby powderblue » 08 Jan 2014, 11:45

I would like to know what are the best ways to clean up after BM.
Right now if I am at home, I use wipes to clean up externally, then I sit in a warm sitz bath for a few minutes and then carefully clean all I can.
At work I would just use baby wipes.

I was told that it is beneficial to also clean up inside, but I found for it to be next to impossible without using some sort of lube. Soap is not recommended and simple water is not enough.
I also did not want to use lube because I will be applying Dilziatem cream a few minutes after and I don't want to form a barrier.

Please share your tips.
powderblue
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: Cleaning up after BM

Postby JHH » 08 Jan 2014, 12:36

I think you are already doing everything correct.

After BM I wipe gently, and jump in the shower. I squat and use the showerhead to clean up.
Im not sure trying to clean more internally would be any good. You could risk causing more harm to the fissure.
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby powderblue » 08 Jan 2014, 12:53

JHH wrote:I think you are already doing everything correct.

After BM I wipe gently, and jump in the shower. I squat and use the showerhead to clean up.
Im not sure trying to clean more internally would be any good. You could risk causing more harm to the fissure.

Thanks, I thought about this. The reason I was hoping to clean up internally somehow is because half hour after BM I'm getting another round of pain (one of the symptoms of AF) which I think is the irritation/stinging from fecal matter. Also, when I'm applying the cream I can definitely see that the inside is not 100 per cent clean. So ideally I would love to clean it up to promote the healing.
powderblue
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby JHH » 08 Jan 2014, 13:23

I had the burning half an hour after BM too, but Im sure its not caused by left overs. Its the spasms thats causing the burning. No matter how well I cleaned up, I would still get the spasms.
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby pinpin » 08 Jan 2014, 15:24

I completely relate to JHH, it does not matter how clean you are in there, spams will start and this is the nature of problem. I have additional shower hand close to toilet, specially used to help with kids to clean up, and in general for better hygiene.

I do shower right after BM always, when I am in business trip I jump either in bath or in shower. Didn't use toilet paper almost year already.
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby Savaici » 08 Jan 2014, 19:48

I always use just water. Never use wipes. This I have been doing for over 18 months. Most CRSs recommend only using water.

First I dab with the softest toilet paper (dampened under the tap) that I have found - Cottonelle. Then I sit on my Sitz bath a few times, changing the water so that it stays clean and warm. I do this for about 15 minutes in all.

Then I use Johnson & Johnson wet cotton swabs to finish off, being extremely gentle. I never ever rub, and I have not heard before of trying to clean inside. If I have any irritation after a BM, I sit on my Sitz bath until I feel totally clean. The Sitz bath relaxes the area and "sweeps" what's left away. Never had such a clean part of my body in my life!!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222