What causes them ?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: What causes them ?

Postby juney » 10 Mar 2008, 09:50

my fissure is in the position closest to my genitals. i'm not sure if that's 6 or 12, but i know it's a "normal" fissure position. abnormal would be on the sides. i know it's i nthis position b/c i could see it for almost a year. thankfully now i can't see it externally, so that must be a good sign.
i definitely got mine from hard stool. like giant, super dry, rip me open stool. i remember that pain like it was yesterday. :pale:
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 10 Mar 2008, 10:00

My problems started from having IBS with explosive diarrhea. I usually would go 3-4 times every morning. One day I had a normal BM (not too soft or hard) but I guess the anal area was irritated from all the diarrhea for months and months and I immediately felt pain and had bleeding. Taking Metamucil has sure helped alot. You wouldn't think it, but the doctor said fiber helps with both diarrhea and constipation. So, now things are soft most of the time, but formed.
Julie

Postby Sorerumpie » 10 Mar 2008, 10:09

Juliemo, How does one know he or she has IBS ?
I had diarrhia a while back for a number of days befpre the fissure happened but everyone has that occasionally.
My fissure hasn't beld since the day it happened four month ago.
In reading everyone's stories - most everyone has re-occuring bleeding , am I right ?
Sorerumpie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Guest » 10 Mar 2008, 11:49

I was diagnosed with IBS back in 2003. But, I had symptoms of it for a few years before that. I had to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy because of severe anemia and the doctor wanted to make sure I didn't have bleeding going on somewhere inside.
Anyway, when I went to the gastro doctor for a consultation before the procedures, he asked about any unusual bowel stuff. I told him about how I have to go to the bathroom alot in the mornings. He told me that was a symptom of IBS and did I feel full really quick when I eat. I told him that, yes, I get full really fast and don't eat much at one time. He said he would check things out when he did the colonoscopy, but I had signs of IBS and that's what he said it was afterwards.
I would have good days and bad days and last summer things got worse with running to the bathroom as soon as I got out of bed. I didn't plan anything in the mornings because of it.
I was amazed how the Metamucil firmed things up, but still soft. I still need to go 2-3 times some mornings, but at least it's not that burning, acidy diarrhea anymore.
Julie

Postby Guest » 10 Mar 2008, 13:26

I think too having a higher anal resting pressure can make you susceptible to getting fissures and hemorrhoids. I think my having such a "tight @ss" predisposed me to these conditions. Doctors are always surprised at how well my tone is.

Postby Fissulyna » 10 Mar 2008, 14:26

I had bleeding only once when my fissure opened first time. After that I only had horrendous pain during BM that would be followed by terrible spasm pains throughout the day and night.
My sphincter is also very strong - even just 2 weeks after the LIS my CRS was surprised by the "tone" and was actually worried if I was cut enough for fissure to heal. Thankfully I was ...(knock the wood!!!).
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Sorerumpie » 11 Mar 2008, 10:19

Thanks you two for the info. I recently seem to have to run to the bathroom upon awakening now . This is something new with me. And, usually after eating I have alot of gas and tooting that I never had before . So something has changed .
I am totally fed up with the fissure ruining my life all day every day !!!!!! It's the curse from hell.
Sorerumpie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Fissulyna » 11 Mar 2008, 11:59

Dear JA,

We all completely understand you : ((( ! We all had to go through hell of having it and dealing with it on daily bases - it really starts to rule ones life and nobody can understand the pain and frustration but people who also have a fissure.
I am sorry to hear that you got some stomach problems - it can be also part of a stress. If you are taking extra fiber - gas is normal occurrence and it will get better over time since your intestines will get used to it. Do you take any stool softeners ??? If yes, than you will go to the bathroom more often than usual , and that is nothing to worry about . Your goal is to keep it soft so your fissure can heal.
As your "mood" says that you are "determined" - keep your chin up ; )), and stay on your regiment steadfast - it is the only way to heal naturally. When days are bad just remind yourself that you alway can have a LIS and get rid of the damned thing! But, you have to make sure that you really tried it all before surgery so you can be at peace with yourself when or if you decide to have one ; )) !
Try not to dwell on little changes that happen during the course of healing (I know that is easier said than done : (, because it will just cause you extra tension and stress : ((. The only thing that you truly have to worry about and pay attention is signs of infection, everything else will fall in place as soon as your fissure heals.
Also, always know that here we are always ready to listen and share our experience and that you can always ask any question or just vent as much as you need to !!!
All the best and get healed soon !!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Sorerumpie » 11 Mar 2008, 19:56

Fissulyna , Thanks very much for the support , it really is nice to have some words of encouragement with this problem.
You sound like a very nice person who is very compassionate.
Today I had a conversation with my Doc / surgeon and expressed my frustration. He said that another botox injection was next and a third after that if necessary before LIS .
He also said that the surgery has about a 20% chance of permanent incontenance to some degree. ( not a good option )
So, anyway , thanks so much for the help and we'll keep workin on it here
Sorerumpie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Fissulyna » 11 Mar 2008, 20:13

You are very welcome JA Image , I am truly happy if I was of any help : ) !
Yes, try Botox first - some members had good success with it ! One never knows what would do a trick !!!
Regarding LIS , you know , some surgeons never had a single case in 35 years of doing thousands of LIS procedure. It HIGHLY depends of the expertise of the surgeon and I would recommend to you to find a doctor who is doing it on daily bases and for many, many years. Ask if he/she had any cases of incontinence- they can not lie ! If he/she starts paddling around- find another surgeon PRONTO ! It is your body and your life and don't feel intimidated or "loyal" for no good reason. I interviewed 4 CRS surgeons before I chose one. He was not even very friendly, but his record was impeccable and I chose him. Post op I went to friendly one LOL - well, one has to do some tricks to get the best possible care Image !
We have so many members that had LIS and have NO signs of incontinence , even Juney who had TWO LIS surgeries and no problem there. So, don't get into the panic mode if you end up needing one - all will be fine at the end Image !!!
Take care and get well soon so we can celebrate "one more death of a fissure" Image
Fissulyna
VIP