Work?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Work?

Postby Buck » 09 Jul 2009, 11:11

Hi-
I've only posted a couple times and have already received some wonderful information. I was wondering how folks deal with work. I know that's a broad question, but things just aren't working out. I support a family of two little girls and my wonderful wife and my job is very labor intensive. I have two techs that work for me and if I don't work, they don't work. I just got back from a three night excursion and every morning and evening was hell, and trying to fake my composure was also tuff. I'm once again sitting on my bed and taking the day off, something I simply can't afford (literally) to do many more times. Every day I get home from a couple days on the job I'm out of commission for at least a day. Today I'm bleading again, have tons of discharge, and just hurt. My doc prescribed pain meds but they aren't that good on the tummy when it's 95 degrees and doing manual labor. I can handle being uncomfortable on the job(yeah right), but I have to be able to come home and give my kids the dad they deserve. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks for everything.
Buck
Last edited by Buck on 09 Jul 2009, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
Buck
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Work?

Postby Deleted User 5 » 09 Jul 2009, 12:34

Wow, Buck, that is really a tough dilemma. I know you are post LIS so hopefully over time now you are going to get better, but like I mentioned in an earlier post, what you need is rest to heal and unfortunately that is not an option.
I can only say that while I had my fissure and it was at it's worst, I still worked. but it was hell on me and I drove everyone around me crazy, because I just avoided doing so many things I had to do, like drive.
One thing I might suggest is that you be upfront with these workers who depend on you and let them know what is going on, and on days when it is really rough, make sure they understand what you are going through and see if they can be understanding and pull up some of your slack. They know if you don't work, they don;t work and I am sure they will see it is in their own best interest to make adjustments for your condition until you heal.
I also think if you are still having the discharge, and so much pain, you need to make another appointment and make your concerns known to your CRS or either find another one.
Wish I knew more to say... :(
Deleted User 5

Postby Buck » 09 Jul 2009, 12:52

Thanks, Kim. I guess deep down I'm not really looking for a blanket answer but just want to vent. This is something I have to deal with and eventually I think I will heal. I've had a very positive attitude lately and am really trying hard, sometimes it just sucks. I just took a shower, shaved, kissed my girls, had some fresh blueberries from the garden, and feel a lot better. I may end up trying yoga or some other relaxation/meditation techniques to work on stress, attitude, and overall being. I'm not very familiar with many of the "alternative" excersices and sciences (e.g., macrobiotics), but I'm sick of the way docs handle issues by only trying to fix the immediate issue and not focusing on a long term cure or the root causes of such issues. This forum has been a big help and has a lot of good info. Thanks.
buck
Buck
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 5 » 09 Jul 2009, 14:30

Hey, no problem, Buck! That's why we are here, vent all you want! I am glad you put things in perspective (especially the kissing the girls part!) and I do think the anti-stress measures will go a long way, especially after doing them for a couple weeks.
The next time you are really stressed out try this (if no one is around, that is, to see it) --close your eyes, take in a deeeeep breath while holding your arms out, very slowly flapping them like a sleepy bird. Sounds silly, but that is the whole purpose, to change your state of mind!
I agree, sometimes doctors just never consider the whole picture. They are looking at their watch and thinking about the next patient, most likely.
Hang in there. I really do believe that now that you have had the surgery, you will heal. You just need to hit that stride.
Deleted User 5

Postby Corsi » 16 Jul 2009, 09:04

I so agree with what you write - both of you.
You have to relax to heal properly Buck, hard labour isn't good during healing. How long have you had your fissure? How long since surgery?
Working + fissure = problems for me, I didn't work when my fissure was bad.
Corsi :)
Last edited by Corsi on 27 Feb 2010, 06:42, edited 1 time in total.
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Buck » 17 Jul 2009, 19:16

I had my first fissure symptoms in 2003. I went to the GI doc, he did a colonoscopy, said everything was fine, and then it vanished without a trace until this past November. I started having horrible spasms and went to the GI doc three seperate times before I went to a CRS. Did most everything (i.e., diet change, creams for the spasms, etc.) I had the surgery April 30th. I went back to the doc this past Wed. and he basically said I was a slow healer, but that I was healing. It has been a tuff go, but I think i will make it with time.
Buck
Buck
Fibre Addict

Postby buttgirl » 17 Jul 2009, 23:42

Buck,
Don't despair. That healing time thing of 6-8 weeks that they tell you is nonsense. It took me about 3 months to heal, 6 months to feel like I had healed, and 1.5 years to feel just about back to normal. I'm still about 95% 1.5 years later, but that is soooo much better than before. What especially sucks is that you heal more quickly at first, so by 3 mos I was about 60%, at 6 mos about 80%. But as long as you are healing you will keep doing it.
Hang in there.
Chris
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Corsi » 18 Jul 2009, 02:06

buttgirl wrote: That healing time thing of 6-8 weeks that they tell you is nonsense.
I agree with you Chris, and it only demotivates us when the CRS and others tell us that we will heal quickly, or as the papers from the hospital say "You only need 3 - 4 days home and then you can go to work" Image Fat chance!!!
Buck, I am slow healer too, had LIS in February and things have been healing very slowly, but as you say when things are going the right way we should be satisfied with that.
I like to real your healing story buttgirl, it makes me feel normal :roll:
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby toomuchwastedtime » 26 Jul 2009, 02:43

i quit my job because AF was bothering me too much.
toomuchwastedtime
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Buck » 28 Jul 2009, 10:32

Healing time is obviously variable, and that can make it very frustrating. I went back to the Doc last week and once again I got the.... "it seems to be healing, but slowly. Come back in a month and we will check it out. We may have to do an internal exam so here are some more percocet, etc.". Oh well, time will tell. I just need to keep eating well, acting happy (or preferably be happy), and fight my way thru this.
I would love not to work, but too much is riding on a paycheck and family insurance. I love my job, just not my butt.
Buck
Buck
Fibre Addict