Working with this AF???

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Working with this AF???

Postby Guest » 04 Aug 2007, 09:42

I found your comment about green vegetables interesting as I think I've noticed a positive improvement in the consistency of my BM's after eating okra. I live in the South and we love it down here: fried, stewed, whatever.
My brother, who had neck surgery and still has residual pain, mentioned he sometimes eats two cans of spinach each morning for breakfast. I think he may be using this as a laxative since he still takes hydrocodone for the pain. Poor guy - I've got to find a way to mention other laxative options without embarassing him. Two cans of spinach sounds nauseating to me, especially at that time of day.
Anyway, I wanted to mention those two green vegetables to everyone.

Postby SunshineHope » 06 Aug 2007, 13:00

Hey overwhelmed,
I know it may sound gross to eat two cans of spinach every morning but an easy solution is to have spinach salad. Oh my it's so addictive I love it so much! You just buy pre-washed /pre-cut spinach and sprinkle on Balsamic Vinaigarette, you can add raisens/strawberries/whatever you want, people normally add feta cheese too but you don't have to if it constipates you... You can also add whichever other veggies you want.. I eat that salad at least twice a day and it's helped me have soft BMs without a stool softener (i ran outof miralax but am in the US right now and buying some more)
TRY it it's really yummy! :)
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Guest » 06 Aug 2007, 16:50

Thanks for the spinach salad suggestion. I really love them, but right now I'm wearing a full set of braces (at age 51!!) and my bite is bad enough I can't chew down on things or I'll hit the braces on my lower teeth. So, I have to blend anything raw like cantaloupe or watermelon. I love canned spinach cooked with chopped onion.
I think your salad suggestion is great for my brother, too. He's diabetic and eats a McDonald's salad every day for lunch. The fresh spinach salad would be so much better for him.
I keep wondering if the oldtimers like my grandmother and grandfather couldn't have given us home remedies for laxatives and AFs. I'll bet they knew some.
Thanks for your suggestion.

Postby SunshineHope » 07 Aug 2007, 01:59

Aw, I can understand the braces thing. I had them a few years ago and yeah it did make things a bit hard to chew. Another option may be to stirfry the spinach with some yummy Chinese sauces (e.g. black bean sauce and soy sauce, whatever else you want) because obviously the spinach becomes so thin and edible once its cooked, so that may make it easier to eat.
My cousin is vegan and technically a "health nut", she advised me to drink greens everyday. I thought it was gross but she makes shakes everyday with spinach and other greens and mixes fruit into it as well, and it just becomes a shake type of consistency and the one she made tasted really yummy! I think you may need a special blender but I guess it's worth trying - she said that having the green shakes has really helped her BMs become regular (yes me & her talked about this pretty openly). Anyways, it's just an option, I'm going to try doing that in the future too.
Take care!
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby Guest » 09 Aug 2007, 21:46

I love smoothies! but haven't had one with spinach.
If you find a good recipe, please post it. I'd like to try it.

Postby Guest » 10 Aug 2007, 08:42

as I think I've noticed a positive improvement in the consistency of my BM's after eating okra. I live in the South and we love it down here: fried, stewed, whatever.
I live in NY, but I love okra, too!
I also feel okra helps beyond the fact that it's simply a vegetable. This makes sense somewhat, since whatever chemical makes okra a thickening agent probably has a "coating" action internally.
Above all else: thoroughly masticate your food. I used to laugh, when I was younger, about how "you were supposed to chew your food 20 times every bite." Granted, I might not chew 20 times, but I pulverize my food into paste before I swallow -- this has helped considerably. I love nuts, especially the heart-healthy ones -- like walnuts, almonds, pecans -- and considering they have healing properties as well, I really didn't want to give them up. Chew. Lots of chewing. :-) Let the maltase in your saliva do it's job, and get digestion started right.
I'm lucky -- I live across the street from where I work, and I work at a small company. I've pretty much told everyone about my condition, and the time-table of steps I'm taking to correct it. I work with business-types, and the only thing they really worry about is not knowing what's going on. It's a lot easier to miss an hour or two here and there, because I've been vocal about it. In a larger company setting, it might be more embarassing, however.