3 years post-fissure: permanent pain but no fissure?

A sub-forum for those with pain, but no explanation for it. Vent, share, ask, and help others. That is what this little corner is all about!

Return to Chronic Anal and Rectal Pain

Re: 3 years post-fissure: permanent pain but no fissure?

Postby Hazey123 » 02 Jun 2023, 11:02

The other interesting thing I find is walking really really helps my pain. If I go on a days hike I feel almost normal as long as i keep walking - do you find this? Standing and sitting are my issues. Fred55 PN? Pelvic ??? Being daft I can’t think what the N is? Common among cyclists? This is interesting…. I was an endurance cyclist. I just wrecked my bum doing it!
AF following skin tag surgery Feb 2022
GTN ointment
sigmoidoscopy & EUA Sept 2022 no fissure found
2nd opinion Jan 2023 fissure diagnosed, diltiazem - allergic
recommended Botox Fissurectomy
3rd opinion - dilation 2x per day plus GTN ….
Hazey123
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby GrrrAF » 02 Jun 2023, 11:33

Hazey123, you sound active like me; love hiking always feel better:) also cycle but not as much as you. when I was in extreme pain couldn't walk was in bed couple hours a day after BM for 2 months; only time I felt good without BM which was rare ( I never constipated and wished I was sometimes to get a break!). Definitely noticed sitting or especially standing long periods more pain; was associated with external hemorrhoids at time. PN maybe = Pudendal neuralgia?

Fred55, good news pain not due to AF; one less problem but I suggest a pelvic floor therapist to get you started; hard to find an experienced one as I found most more experienced with people with hypotonic not hypertonic pelvic floor. I think I was an extreme case cause I had pain all over from anal area, tailbone, pubic bone, hips, groin! thankfully all gone now but could come back at anytime if I discontinue practicing better stress management, stretching and relaxing techniques.
GrrrAF
Fibre Addict

Postby Fred55 » 02 Jun 2023, 13:51

Hazey123 , look up pudendal nerve entrapment that happens more in women than men and in cyclists. They can block the nerve as a treatment. Just a thought, though if you're on the right track with the dilation stick to it.
GrrrAF, you're right, more PT available to strengthen the pelvic floor rather than relax. May I ask how long your pelvic pain period lasted?
Fred55
Salt Bather

Postby Hazey123 » 02 Jun 2023, 16:38

Hi GrrrAF yes I am very active and exercise every day. I sometimes wonder if I make things worse with my AF by exercising but I feel like I will sink into further depression if I can’t exercise. It helps my mental state so much. I am fairly gentle these days and obviously no cycling! How awful you ended up in bed with that pain. However I feel the same on a bad day. If I have an afternoon Bm that really finishes me off. Again morning is ok but it makes sense as being asleep must relax the area overnight making a BM less painful. Did you see a pelvic therapist to get your relaxation and breathing techniques?? The ones I look up are for mostly women who have the opposite problem to us!
Hi Fred55 I did look this up. Ouch it looks horrible but not dissimilar to what we are all experiencing. Could well be some nerve damage in the mix who knows. The dilation is such a faff that’s the only thing. Not much fun and the improvements are subtle in pain terms so far. Wishing you both a good and not too painful weekend!! Xx
GTN ointment
Hazey123
Salt Bather

Postby kamard2300 » 02 Jun 2023, 18:46

Im a girl.. im 26.. i live in Canada
I can relate to EVERYTHING you are saying
Its been 2 years... I DO NOT feel normal but I stopped complaining anymore... I really think its a new way to me of living
Can I know volans did yours get back to normal? I need hope i feel really hopeless. Also I think. It is anal memory and anal pressure. Im scare to do dilatation but I could give à try. What do you guys use ? Hands ? Some toy ?
kamard2300
Salt Bather

Postby Hazey123 » 03 Jun 2023, 06:39

Hi Kamard2300
I feel for you suffering with this so young. It’s really tough and no one understands how you feel except fellow sufferers. So my CRS recommended dilation for two reasons: firstly the act of inserting a dilator stimulates the area, a form of massage and increases blood flow which promotes healing. I questioned him on this as inserting a dilator into an already sore area seems crazy! But he assures me it really helps in the healing process. Secondly it aids relaxation of the pelvic area which is my and most probably a lot of our issue. The intense tightness and strength of those internal muscles hinders our healing. So while I dilate he wants me to breathe and meditate concentrating on relaxing those internal muscles as I do it. He supplied me with a small dilator (I’m sure you can buy online) I can measure it for you if helpful? I use loads of KY jelly water based lube and go very very slowly with it. Breathing and relaxing as much as I can while it goes in. At first I thought I would never ever get it in but I did - it should not hurt so stop if you feel pain. Some people here use their finger altho my dilator is way longer and since my muscular issue is way up high internally it makes sense to use the dilator. Once you get it past the initial anal muscle it slips in quite easily. It’s the first part that is tricky and takes patience. I might start a thread on dilation techniques that have worked for people. It would be good to share tips. I still don’t know if it will work for me but he’s a very sensible and caring doctor and he says it will help. So I gotta believe!! So far I’m better than I’ve been in 18 months altho far from being normal. I use Vaseline prior to every BM and take Movicol/miralax to keep everything really soft. Have you seen a CRS? Sounds like you need one I am in my third. First one did the damage during surgery and then dismissed my pain. Second diagnosed fissure but keen to Botox and Fissurectomy and third more holistic….
GTN ointment
Hazey123
Salt Bather

Postby Fred55 » 03 Jun 2023, 08:07

Kamard2300
What are your symptoms if you don't mind me to ask? I live in Ontario. Have you seen any CRS?
Hazey123
I support your idea of dilation thread. I'm seriously considering it. I'm really clueless at this point. I had a CRS appointment yesterday who again confirmed my recent flex sigmoidoscopy done by himself and other exams done over the past year don't show any abnormalities. So why do I have pain? He doesn't know! He told me however that I was too tight when he examined me. He said botax or LIS might be beneficial but it's all up to me to decide.
Fred55
Salt Bather

Postby GrrrAF » 03 Jun 2023, 09:11

Hello All,

Re PT, no she did not help with breathing and relaxation techniques; was disappointing since was so expensive for short appointment; only thing was done was finger in bum and gathered info from me. BUT, my pain did approve after seeing her and helped me get used to having finger in bum so I am grateful for her treatments which I then continued on my own and she encouraged me to do so with dilator (but I have not used only finger(s)).

Much of what I have learned in healing has been on the internet; lots youtube videos and this forum I am grateful. My fissure was missed by my GP and discovered a year later by another doctor which makes me angry since if caught in earlier stages (I even suggested I might have fissure and she said no you don't; same with PT) I would not be in chronic state now:( with lots scar tissue not sure will ever heal. To recap, I had severe anal spasms twice; daily post BMs only, first bout: 5 weeks total & resolved completely (no therapy) then again ~ 1.5 yrs later second bout: 2 months spasms which suddenly stopped (no internal therapy, started doing floor stretches only) but followed immediately by 4 months moderate pain which I then started PT; pain then resolved. Currently 8 months later no pain but regular bleeding which has worsened since the pain stopped.

Thanks for the chats:) keep at the self-healing; but give yourselves a break too mentally and tell your bum you need some time off to focus on other things in life:)
GrrrAF
Fibre Addict

Postby kamard2300 » 06 Jun 2023, 12:41

Hello guys thank yoy very much for your replies.
Im in Québec and I totally gave up with CRS they dont know how to help because we do not have any fissure as its healed and as you know the pain comes from anus memory of pain and also mostly the pressure we put ourselves in (so its psycological inconsciius thing)
I bought a medical wand for 80$ and lubrication. I have been under stress the last month because I had some personal things going on (heartbrake, the Guy I loved dumped me and I was making à fool of myself) so à lot of anxiety means tons on peession and more more pain... one month later now I know this is the reason I was feeling worse.
We keep to fight with the remaining pressure being aware of it and let it go in our daily activities. I know ita hard. It Will take us time but we can les gooooo
kamard2300
Salt Bather

Postby kamard2300 » 11 Jul 2023, 07:03

Hello guys how are you guys feeling?
Lets not loose hope please
I feel also that this wont end but we do not know that
We shoudl do relaxation techniques every day at least 30 minutes
Im in the same boat as you
kamard2300
Salt Bather