AF friendly recipes

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: AF friendly recipes

Postby cherylk » 25 Mar 2010, 19:30

Special Recipe to help with constipation
1 cup applesauce
1 cup oat bran
1/4 cup prune juice
Spices as desired (cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.)
This recipe may be stored in your refrigerator or in the freezer. Pre-measured servings may be frozen in sectioned ice cube trays and thawed as needed.
Begin with two tablespoons each evening followed by one 6 to 8 ounce glass of water or juice. After 7 to 10 days increase this to three tablespoons. At the end of the second to third week increase it to four tablespoons. You should begin to see an improvement in your bowel habits in two weeks.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby dee » 28 Mar 2010, 23:22

i was looking at prune juice the other night and it had hardly any fiber! is there a brand that has a decent amount in it? i snack on prunes when i'm cooking in the kitchen so i'm sure the prune juice would taste fine to me--i just want it to be worthwhile...the prune juice i found had no more fiber than any of the other juices i found...
many of the other recipes on this topic look fantastic especially since i'm a vegetarian--so glad there weren't tons of meat recipes!
dee
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby cherylk » 29 Mar 2010, 05:43

Hey Denise,
So glad you like the recipes! (We all hate meat!) Image I beg to differ with you about prune juice not having any fiber. I have a jar of it downstairs and I will check that.
If you want fiber in a juice, try Welch's grape with fiber. I think there are 3 gms fiber per 8 oz glass. I use 1/4 cup of that with 3/4 cup water at night to take my Miralax, but I initially used 1 cup total, instead of adding the water. I'll get back to this later after I check my prune juice bottle!!!
cherylk
VIP

Postby cherylk » 29 Mar 2010, 07:42

I checked the prune juice bottle--only 2 grams per serving which greatly surprised me! I know both grape and prune juices tend to affect constipation positively!!
cherylk
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 29 Mar 2010, 17:19

Ok here's a quick and simple one for fellow members of the male persuasion who may be cooking-impaired like I am:
INGREDIENTS
1 bag of vegetable medley (I use the exact one from Mann's shown here: http://www.broccoli.com/images/Product12.jpg)
3-4 fresh red potatoes
1 box high fiber pasta (I use the Barilla kind shown here, it has 24% daily fiber per serving: http://thisweekfordinner.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/barilla-whole-grain-pasta.jpg)
chicken breast or fish (I usually use catfish or tilapia) meat, several pounds
INSTRUCTIONS
(1) Cut the potatoes, veggies, and chicken/fish up into small pieces.
(2) Boil the pasta, potatoes, and chicken/fish until they're done (usually takes maybe 20-25 minutes on Med-High heat, the potatoes are the last to finish).
(3) Add the veggies at the end and cook over Med heat for another 5 minutes.
(4) Eat every day and enjoy soft bowel movements, albeit at the expense of greatly increased gas output :) Disclaimer: May not be the best recipe if you share and office with someone else :)
The great thing about this for lazy dudes is that you can boil a huge pot at once and eat it for days on end. This is pretty much all I eat these days. I go through about two pots a week. For variety I sometimes eat brown rice sushi (since brown rice is super high in fiber), soy beans (high in both fiber and protein), and fiber bars, but the rest of the time it's veggie soup as described above. I won't say it's a terribly delicious diet, but it keeps poops soft and is easy to cook, so I guess 2 outta 3 ain't bad!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby cherylk » 29 Mar 2010, 17:26

Thanks for sharing, NG. That sounds pretty healthy! Did you create the dish yourself?????
cherylk
VIP

Postby dee » 29 Mar 2010, 17:48

ng: sounds good and i can totally substitute fake meat in it...do you use any spices or herbs to give it some more flavor/change up the taste a bit?
cheryl: i got some prune juice tonight and will try that recipe...i looked for the grape juice with extra fiber--is that in the pre-made juices or the concentrate? i didn't think to look in the frozen section since i hardly ever buy juice and forgot about concentrate...
Last edited by dee on 29 Mar 2010, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: more question
dee
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 29 Mar 2010, 18:00

Haha Cheryl I dunno about creating the dish myself, I pretty much tried to figure out what the easiest thing I could cook that would last me the longest would be, and that was it :) This thing takes me about 30-40 minutes every time I need to cook it, so at two pots a week that comes to about 1.5 hours of cooking per week, which is all good by me!
Dee, I don't put much more in it other than salt and pepper on occasion, I'm pretty lazy about it. I'm sure there's room for more flavor and other ingredients, but that would take away from the quality time between me and my couch :) I see it as an all purpose kind of food, I can eat it as a meal by itself, or if the fancy strikes me, I can eat a small bowl as an appetizer and have it with my brown rice sushi or whatever else I'm having. I'm a big seafood lover so sometimes it's sushi with veggie soup, sometimes it's crab legs with veggie soup, etc. As long as the veggie soup is in there, I know I'm hitting the daily fiber requirements out of the park!
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby cherylk » 29 Mar 2010, 18:19

Dee,
It's Welch's grape juice in a bottle. I have never seen the high fiber grape juice in a concentrate, but it might be!
cherylk
VIP

Postby Fissulyna » 29 Mar 2010, 18:20

Great that you can tolerate pasta Image
For the most people it can be constipating - whole grain or not Image
Actually any starchy thing (dough , pasta , pizza crust) can make poop more "dense" :roll:
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61