AF friendly recipes

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

AF friendly recipes

Postby buttgirl » 18 Jun 2007, 12:18

The idea for this topic started under another, but I thought it deserved it's own heading since so many of us have had to utterly reconstruct our diets.
SO I was thinking that is would be nice if we could all share the recipes that have saved our a$$es and list some of our favorite recipes for AF friendly food. I figured I could start the thread with my favorite life-saving (or at least butt-saving) recipe.
SO de ne ne ne ne ne ne ne, buttgirl to the rescue :cheer: ..... with Pea Soup!?
I don't like blended pea soups, so I boil my peas until they are soft but haven't fallen apart. That way, it looks like I have a lot of peas in my soup rather than a mass of green ooze.
1 bag split peas
1 ham hock
3-4 bacon ends (depends on size. mine are 2 in cubes)
2 carrots
1 turnip
1 stalk celery
1 onion
1 other root vegetable (i.e. celery root...)
1-2 cups ham cubed
salt and pepper
Soak peas overnight. Add 1 T salt and boil until soft but not mushy. Strain.
In 2 quarts water, simmer ham hock for 2-4 hours. Cut all vegetables into roughly the same size pieces. Add root vegetables. Simmer 1 hour. Add celery, peas, and ham cubes. If you like herbs such as sage, rosemary, oregano, add them now too. Simmer until celery tender about 10 min. Peas should retain shape but be a little mushy. Salt and pepper to taste.
I have this for three meals a day when I am on the pea soup diet, with snacks such as celery with almond butter, hummus, beans, fresh fruit... I'm not sure why the peas soup works. Could be all the soft food. Could be the savory and hydrating broth. Could be all the fiber in the peas and veggies.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Re: AF friendly recipes

Postby Guest » 18 Jun 2007, 13:35

Thanks Buttgirl!
I posted this on another thread but will put it here too!
I love frozen fruit, particularly berries. I thaw them partially and then put a little stevia (natural sweetener) on top and then some cool-whip for a healthy butt-friendly treat. I am so used to eating this now that for me it is like a dessert since it has replaced cake and cookies since those just slow things down in the gut.
The other thing I make a lot though I don't have a set recipe is stir-fry vegetables and brown rice. Reall any assortment of veggies will do but I love broccoli, water chestnuts, red peppers, and squash. I use a cooking spray but you could use olive oil or some canola oil. Also sesame oil is a good seasoning to add on top.
When done I serve with brown rice and top with flax seed oil. You could add a little meat for protein or tofu if you are a vegetarian.
Bon Appetit!

Postby SunshineHope » 20 Jun 2007, 13:27

Oh my I love this thread already! I think I'll have lots to share but for now, I'll just share something obvious and easy that has been helping me a lot: SPINACH SALAD! hehe
What you need:
Baby Spinach (sometimes you can find it pre-packed)
Dried Cranberries (or other berries you like)
Fresh strawberry cut into slices
Balsamic Vinegarette dressing (yum!)
Optional: Cucumber/Tomato/Olives/Whatever else you fancy
Optional: My mom puts nuts and Feta Cheese but I can't have either of those so I make mine seperately.
Just mix all of the ingredients together and voila! It's a lovely summer salad, takes 2 minutes to make, and spinach (or so I've heard) is really great for us! It tastes soo good too. My mom and I stole the recipe from a restaraunt we like visiting.
p.s. Lecia, is cool whip alright for us to eat? And what about frozen yoghurt?
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 38

Postby SunshineHope » 20 Jun 2007, 13:33

Apple Spice Cake (without dairy)
http://www.truestarhealth.com/Notes/2494005.html
Interesting Power Cookies (no dairy, high fibre!)
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Power-Cookies/Detail.aspx
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby SunshineHope » 20 Jun 2007, 13:36

Got this recipe from a site, looks yummy!
"Very Berry and Soy Delicious Ice Pops"
INGREDIENTS
* 1 pint blueberries
* 1 pint strawberries, hulled
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 2 1/2 cups vanilla soy milk
DIRECTIONS
1. Puree the blueberries and strawberries in batches in a blender or food processor. Strain into a medium bowl, through a sieve lined with cheesecloth.
2. Stir brown sugar into berries. Stir in soy milk until well blended. Pour mixture into small paper cups, filling about two-thirds full. Freeze until beginning to firm. Insert wooden sticks and freeze until firm, 2 to 3 hours.
SunshineHope
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby buttgirl » 21 Jun 2007, 17:27

I found this recipe online and have been really interested in trying it. Let me know if you do. Sounds delicious and high fiber!Image I think it could be made easy by using canned beans.

Pasta Fagoili--Ingredients
1 cup (180g) dried kidney beans
6 cups (1.4L) water
1 tsp (5mL) olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cups (490g) canned stewed tomatoes
1 tsp (6g) salt (sea salt if on a corn-free diet*)
8 ounces (230g) pasta elbows, shells or macaroni
3 Tbsp (8g) fresh basil, chopped, or 1 Tbsp (6g) dried basil
Directions
Soak beans overnight. Drain off soaking water, rinse beans and drain again. Put soaked beans into a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot with 6 cups water. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours until beans are tender. Drain excess liquid, leaving just enough to make a gravy-like sauce.
Sautй onions, garlic, carrots and green pepper. Add vegetables, tomatoes and salt to beans and simmer 20 minutes.
In a separate pot, bring 2 quarts (1.9L) of salted water to a boil and cook pasta until al dente. Drain and rinse well. Gently stir pasta and basil into the beans and serve
* Allergy notes: People following a corn-free diet should avoid iodized salt since it contains dextrose, which should be avoided by those allergic to corn.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby happyass » 26 Jun 2007, 17:37

for those who love chicken and chicken nuggets, here is a yummy alternative without chicken!
you will need:
1 pkg seitan (found at whole foods or natural healthy store)
brown rice flour
basil flakes
cayenne pepper
sea salt
corriander
cumin
black pepper
tamari sauce
chilli oil
extra virgin olive oil
cut your seitan in small nugget pieces.
mix about 3/4 cup of brown rice flour with about 1/4 tsp of each: basil flakes, cumin or corriander (or both), black pepper, cayenne pepper, and sea salt. mix all spices with flour. this is your second coating.
mix about 1/4 cup of tamari sauce with about 1-2 tablespoons of chilli oil. mix both. this is your first coating.
heat approx. 2 tablespoons of olive oil with 1 tablespoon of chilli oil in pan. use medium heat.
dip and coat completely seitan pieces into the tamari/chilli oil coating.
then dip and cover completely with the flour mixture. dust off but do not uncoat the nuggets.
place flour coated nuggest in heated pan and lightly fry until lightly brown.
enjoy with steamed veggies with sesame seeds (or better yet some gomasio) and yummy hot poleta mash!
mmmmmmm......enjoy a meatless, happily vegetarian, almost macrobiotic meal!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby happyass » 26 Jun 2007, 17:44

another yummy recipe that i love is using japanese soba or udon noodles (preferably the wheat variety). this can be an alternative to a spaghetti meal.
prepare the soba or udon noodles and then after boil, rinse them under cold water. this will make the noodles cool and easy to touch and perfect to eat them - not hot and not cold. they won't even be warm. this is perfect.
combine the following ingredients:
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon hot chili oil
dash of sea salt
dash of black pepper, crushed
dash of basil flakes
dash of oregano
a couple of pinches of tekka
1 tablespoon of sesame seeds
mix all of the above ingredients
immerse the japanese noodles in the oil mixture. continue to immerse all the noodles until all noodles are coated. you should be able to pick up a noodle and not see any oil dribbling. the noodles should just be nicely shiney with flakes and sesame seeds.
enjoy with a nice bowl of barley soup or a piece of steamed or grilled fish. if you feel adventurous, try some arame, a delicious seaweed that is good for you.
happyass
King Fissure

Postby happyass » 27 Jun 2007, 18:49

tonight i made vegetarian enchiladas. i made them with portabello mushrooms lightly grilled with extra virgin olive oil with some seasonings, steamed green and red bell peppers, steamed sliced beets, and a nice garlic saute of sweet yellow corn and red onions and sesame seeds.
each corn tortilla is then built with some portabello mushrooms, black beans, garlic corn/carrot/red onions, red and green bell peppers with beets, and some mexican cheese and drizzle with some dona maria green mole.
all baked on top of a bed of polenta.
mmmmmm........
happyass
King Fissure

Postby Deleted User 5 » 27 Jun 2007, 20:03

You are such the Mexican, Gareth, I swear!
Deleted User 5