Fissure back

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Fissure back

Postby Guest » 13 Feb 2008, 13:54

After 4 weeks of little or no pain my fissure is back with a vengence. Thought the botox had done the trick but I guess not. Went into see my CRS today and we've decided to go ahead with the LIS. Frankly I can't live like this anymore. javascript:emoticonp('Image') Need a break.
So I'm looking for some advise on a few things. First of all my CRS has given me the option of either doing the procedure in the office under local or in the hospital under general. I'd never heard of an LIS being done in the office but he assures me that 3/4 of his patients opt for the office under local. He is considered to be one of the best CRS in NY. Has anyone heard of this? Any advice?
I also asked him aout my skin tag. He said he'd remove it if I wanted but of course its going to add to the recovery pain. Anyone opt to remove their skintag. If so, how is the pain?
I've taken 10 days off. Do you think that's enough? Doc says that by the 3rd day I should start to feel better.
Thank you all for all your help and prayers. I couldn't see myself living thru this without the knowledge, advice and kindness you all have shown.

Re: Fissure back

Postby Fissulyna » 13 Feb 2008, 14:12

So sorry to hear that : (, but you will be free of pain once and for all after LIS (at least it is the case in more than 90 % of the cases). I would opt for hospital. They can give you "twilight" + local in there and you will be sleeping like a baby without danger of a general. I would also remove skin tag - I wish I had that option.
Yes, you will start feel better 3rd day, but full recovery would be more like in 4 -6 weeks. I would take 2 weeks off minimum.
All the best and good luck with your surgery !!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 13 Feb 2008, 14:12

Hi there Bum,
How was your trip? Did you have a nice birthday?

I have not had this surgery so I can't really comment specifically but I think if you are going to have it done you might as well have it all done so you don't have to do it again. The skin tag will definitely cause more pain but I had mine off when I had the hemorrhoidectomy because it just kept getting inflamed and painful. If yours doesnt' hurt though maybe I wouldn't bother. It is hard to say if it is adding to my recovery as everything on the left side was stripped so what pain is what, I cannot tell you!

But I understand about just wanting to get it done. Pain from healing is much easier to deal with then pain that may not go away without intervention.

I am sure someone with more pertinent knowledge will be along to help.

Good luck!!!

Postby Guest » 13 Feb 2008, 14:25

Thanks guys! Lecia, Mexico City was amazing. Had a great time. Thank God the fissure really only acted up on the last 2 days so I got to enjoy the majority of the trip. I'll send you a link to the photos.

Postby juney » 14 Feb 2008, 10:56

i've had 2 LIS surgeries, both times under general anasthesia. i can't imagine anyone doing it in the dr's office! there's quite a bit of pain in the area afterward, so i imagine the pain during surgery is tremendous.
i had a skin tag removed during the first surgery. this left an outer wound to heal, almost like a little hole that eventually closed over. that took about 2 weeks to start looking "normal" on the outside. the skin tag is gone now, but there's a little extra skin where it used to be but it doesn't hurt or bother me at al. i'm not sure if or how that may have affected my fissure healing from the first surgery, but i'm glad the tag is gone anyway.
i took 10 work days off after each surgery. i would've liked more time off, but i think that was an okay amount. i just laid around and took tons of baths every day. i never left the house. if my fissure was going to heal, that would've been enough time.
neither of my surgeries were successful but i know this is generally not the case. if you're having spasms i'm sure the surgery will stop those. at this point in your suffering, you have nothing to lose by trying the surgery.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Guest » 15 Feb 2008, 16:22

I would def go ahead and have the surgery sooner than later. I am almost positive that I am having the surgery next Friday. I am also a New Yorker and my CRS is a man named Dr Brian Harlin. He's based out of NYU. He's also one of the top in his field and pretty cute to boot! Hehe He's not your Dr is he?
He also offered me the option of doing it in the office but I said Hell no!
I am planning on taking 6-10 days off work depening on how I feel. I wish I could take even more but I just started my job a few months ago and I've already used so many sick days and vacation days b/c of my damn fissure.

Postby val » 15 Feb 2008, 17:12

I had the LIS plus fistulotomy and a skin tag removed, and it was the best thing I ever done-I should have done it months ago! The skin tag WAS the bit that hurt, but after the first few days the pain was bearable. I wouldn't hesitate to have it done again if need be, and I would definately have the tag removed because, like in my case, it can become infected, and at least its all over and done with all at once, so once you're healed thats it, all over.
I had mine under GA and personally wouldn't even consider anything else but then I'm a big baby and its a personal choice.
I think you need a good 2 weeks to feel anywhere near to normal, and get your strength back.
Good luck in whatever you decide.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 16 Feb 2008, 13:15

Thank you all for the info.
Erin, I'm also a Brooklynite. My CRS is Dr. Steven Brandeis he also works out of NYU. When are you planning on having it done?

Postby Guest » 16 Feb 2008, 19:18

My CRS is his partner, they work in the same office. I am having it done thru Dr Brian Harlin but since I work as a RN at NYU I don't want to do the sugery there. My Dr said he also does surgeries out of NYU downtown hospital so I think I'll have it there so I don't run the risk of running into anyone I know, esp for a procedure like this.
Small world though, you go to the same office I go to. Wonder if I ever saw you. We should meet up and chat, doesn't have to be all about fissure stuff haha.

Postby motherluch » 16 Feb 2008, 20:59

Erin,
I was reading up on your Dr. do you like him?? As I said, I live in Jersey, and really could use another opinion at some point?? Let me know, and fill me in on him if you wouldn't mind!
Thanks!!
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25