Having surgery on Tuesday - very nervous! Any tips/advice?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Having surgery on Tuesday - very nervous! Any tips/advice?

Postby crimeofpassion » 29 Jun 2009, 16:09

You're kidding. :(
But there's no cure for PFD. The only treatment I know of for it is biofeedback, which I tried, and warm baths. I've heard you can take small doses of Valium, but I don't want to pop yet another pill.
I couldn't do the traditional biofeedback where they insert a vaginal probe. I have vulvodynia on top of interstitial cystitis, so they can barely use those itty bitty Q-tip swabs on me when they need to test for a yeast infection or something. The pain from those things has me through the roof.
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby crimeofpassion » 05 Jul 2009, 09:28

May I ask how long everyone else's incision pain lasted? That's where most of my pain is coming from, and at times, it's pretty sharp... Image
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 5 » 07 Jul 2009, 18:16

Hmm. My incision pain lasted a while, but grew duller each day, and usually (even in the first few days post-op) wasn't too bad in the afternoon/evenings. It was pretty much gone after two weeks but then it felt like I had a leathery pad in there for a while, not painful just weird.
Now, a couple of times I sat on a hard surface during that first month and then I would feel a sudden sharp pain.
Deleted User 5

Postby crimeofpassion » 09 Jul 2009, 09:30

Wow! Two weeks?
Its been slightly over a month since my surgery...
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2009, 09:45

hey COP,
It's been five months since my surgery and I still have pain, though its minimal. By keeping my diet under control and stools soft I usually am fine. It's so different for everyone. I have actually felt mostly healed a few times but had recoccuring pain when I had a hard stool.
However my incision pain only lasted about a month or so. But I have heard that the area can take awhile to heal and strengthen. We are all different so I would just take good care of yourself!

Postby crimeofpassion » 09 Jul 2009, 10:00

Did your fissure never heal from the LIS, or are you just a slower healer?
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 09 Jul 2009, 11:35

My fissure is not healed, but feels so much better. I have no spasms (with a hard poo I have some pain) and throughout most of the day don't even think about it. I think mine is just going to be one of those that take 6-8 months to fully heal, but I am a world better than before LIS

Postby crimeofpassion » 09 Jul 2009, 16:02

I wish I could say the same! These damn spasms won't stop. Image I dunno if my muscle tone has improved at all. Sometimes it seems like it's better, but at other times, especially right after a BM, it feels as tight as ever. But maybe that's normal...?
Good luck on your healing, though! <3
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 10 Jul 2009, 06:55

Thanks. What is your diet and fiber regimen? Are you taking benefibre or anything like that?
How often are the spasms and when to do occur the most?

Postby crimeofpassion » 10 Jul 2009, 09:33

Well, I'm trying to drink lots of water and eat more fiber (wheat bread, fruit, whole grain cereals, etc). I also take Citrucel every night (two tablets), and usually take a dose of Miralax every day as well.
The frequency of the spasms differs every day, really. They just happen here and there throughout the day. They're the worst after I've been sitting for a long time, which I have to do every day at work!
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist